Basic HTML

Hi group,

I recently bought a new computer and I cannot make my gmail to
permanently appearr as HTML.
I can go to focus mode by pressing NVDA+spacebar and than shift+tab to
find HTML, but I am unable to make it permanent so that I want have to
do that each time. Is there way to do just that?
Any help will be very much appreciated.

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified

Hope Williamson

On 10/31/2021 9:15 AM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Hi group,

I recently bought a new computer and I cannot make my gmail to
permanently appearr as HTML.
I can go to focus mode by pressing NVDA+spacebar and than shift+tab to
find HTML, but I am unable to make it permanent so that I want have to
do that each time. Is there way to do just that?
Any help will be very much appreciated.

Gene

This seems to be a general problem.  I can’t do it and I’ve rread comments on lists from one or two others who can’t.  The easiest way to deal with the situation is to use this link, then bookmark the page.  This link takes you directly to the simple HTML view for the account you are logged into.

I recently bought a new computer and I cannot make my gmail to
permanently appearr as HTML.
I can go to focus mode by pressing NVDA+spacebar and than shift+tab to
find HTML, but I am unable to make it permanent so that I want have to
do that each time. Is there way to do just that?
Any help will be very much appreciated.

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@...

Thank you both.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/

I recently bought a new computer and I cannot make my gmail to
permanently appearr as HTML.
I can go to focus mode by pressing NVDA+spacebar and than shift+tab to
find HTML, but I am unable to make it permanent so that I want have to
do that each time. Is there way to do just that?
Any help will be very much appreciated.

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@gmail.com

Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@gmail.com

I don’t know if it matters that the link I sent is much shorter.  I tried them both and they both seem to work in the same way as far as the page they bring up.  But I’m suspicious that the longer link has some sort of tracking information so if it were me, unless you find a problem, I’d use the shorter one.

Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2021 11:45 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Basic HTML

Thank you both.

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@...

Jujube

Hi Nevzat, this is a change google is making. They are trying to gradually phase out the basic HTML view. I think you can still use a permanent link to it. https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/rx7zilka4bmn/?f=1

However, the standard view is in fact fully accessible, and you should be able to get a full list of keyboard shortcuts by pressing shift + / with NVDA in focus mode and then use those shortcuts to use gmail in standard view to the fullest. Hope this helps.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 9:15 AM Nevzat Adil <nevzatadil@...> wrote:
Hi group,

I recently bought a new computer and I cannot make my gmail to
permanently appearr as HTML.
I can go to focus mode by pressing NVDA+spacebar and than shift+tab to
find HTML, but I am unable to make it permanent so that I want have to
do that each time. Is there way to do just that?
Any help will be very much appreciated.

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@...

Where did you see that they intend to phase it out?  Since Simple HTML is intended for slower connections, as Google says on the site, and since people use GMail from all over the world, I doubt they intend to phase it out.  I think this is an uncorrected bug.

Also, I just did  a Google search for Google phase out simple html gmail and the first six results say nothing about this and aren’t even discussing that subject.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 12:58 PM, Gene wrote:
Where did you see that they intend to phase it out?
-
There has been "backstage buzz" about this for a very long time.  Google has put a huge amout of effort into optimizing their standard view, and they've done a lot to make it much easier to use with screen readers than it once was.

The ability to change to the Basic HTML view as your default has been gone for a while now, but I can't say when the exact month and year was when it disappeared.  That, alone, is an indicator about its status.

They may not phase it out, but it's already been shuttled to very low status in terms of improvements to it or maintenance of it.  It's likely to hang around in its present form until something that Google wants to do would break it and they don't want to fix whatever that would be.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

kristy stichter

Hi Nevzat
this is what I did
I went into gmail when it was standard, then went to settings, typed
in html, clicked on the first article, which says something along the
lines of view as html
or try this link
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1pq68r75kzvdr/?v%3Dlui

if you want it to load permenantly in html add that link to bookmarks
and it will always load that's what I did anyway

Kristyhope this helps if you need any more help please feel free to
email me and I will do my best to help you.

On 11/1/21, Nevzat Adil <nevzatadil@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi group,

I recently bought a new computer and I cannot make my gmail to
permanently appearr as HTML.
I can go to focus mode by pressing NVDA+spacebar and than shift+tab to
find HTML, but I am unable to make it permanent so that I want have to
do that each time. Is there way to do just that?
Any help will be very much appreciated.

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@gmail.com

kristy stichter

sorry for any mistakes
I mean that's what I did anyway in the previous message

I hope it helps

Kristy

On 11/1/21, Kristy Stichter <kristystichter8@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Kristy, thanks. I have already bookmarked the basic HTML page as
suggested before.

On 10/31/21, kristy stichter <kristystichter8@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

not a problem. I hope that works for you as that's what I am using now