Topics

beta 3 and closing programs

Don H

I can't specifically say this is a beta 3 issue but only started happening after installing NVDA 2020-4 beta 3.
I am using the latest version of Win 10 and Thunderbird. After using Thunderbird I use alt f4 to close the program. It appears that thunderbird closes as it should. I have thunderbird set to announce new mail. The strange thing is that with Thunderbird not open I still get announcements of new Email which tells me that Thunderbird was not closed properly when using alt f4 to close it. Thunderbird is not showing in the system tray or on the task bar when these announcements are announced and I must open Thunderbird by using the icon on the desktop.

Gene

Perhaps the beta is announcing information from elsewhere. Try closing Thunderbird while the beta is running. Then switch to an earlier version. See if you hear announcements in the earlier version. That will help determine if the beta is not allowing part of the program to close properly or if it is getting information from somewhere else.

Gene
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 8:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] beta 3 and closing programs

I can't specifically say this is a beta 3 issue but only started
happening after installing NVDA 2020-4 beta 3.
I am using the latest version of Win 10 and Thunderbird. After using
Thunderbird I use alt f4 to close the program. It appears that
thunderbird closes as it should. I have thunderbird set to announce new
mail. The strange thing is that with Thunderbird not open I still get
announcements of new Email which tells me that Thunderbird was not
closed properly when using alt f4 to close it. Thunderbird is not
showing in the system tray or on the task bar when these announcements
are announced and I must open Thunderbird by using the icon on the desktop.

Don H

I have uninstalled the beta 3 and gone back to NVDA 2020-3 and the issue is resolved with no new email announcements coming with thunderbird closed. Would appear that the beta is the issue.

On 1/9/2021 9:06 AM, Gene wrote:
Perhaps the beta is announcing information from elsewhere.  Try closing Thunderbird while the beta is running.  Then switch to an earlier version. See if you hear announcements in the earlier version.  That will help determine if the beta is not allowing part of the program to close properly or if it is getting information from somewhere else.
Gene
I am using the latest version of Win 10 and Thunderbird.  After using
Thunderbird I use alt f4 to close the program.  It appears that
thunderbird closes as it should.  I have thunderbird set to announce new
mail.  The strange thing is that with Thunderbird not open I still get
closed properly when using alt f4 to close it.  Thunderbird is not

Gene

Did you close Outlook While the beta was installed, then install an earlier version and not Open outlook before doing so or after for a time? that is the test I had in mind.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] beta 3 and closing programs

I have uninstalled the beta 3 and gone back to NVDA 2020-3 and the issue
is resolved with no new email announcements coming with thunderbird
closed. Would appear that the beta is the issue.

Perhaps the beta is announcing information from elsewhere. Try closing Thunderbird while the beta is running. Then switch to an earlier version. See if you hear announcements in the earlier version. That will help determine if the beta is not allowing part of the program to close properly or if it is getting information from somewhere else.

Gene

Don H

I don't have outlook installed on my computer. I am using the latest version of Thunderbird as my Email client. Thunderbird is the only Email client I have installed and use.

On 1/9/2021 9:27 AM, Gene wrote:
Did you close Outlook While the beta was installed, then install an earlier version and not Open outlook before doing so or after for a time?  that is the test I had in mind.
Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Don H
closed.  Would appear that the beta is the issue.
Perhaps the beta is announcing information from elsewhere.  Try closing Thunderbird while the beta is running.  Then switch to an earlier version. See if you hear announcements in the earlier version.  That will help determine if the beta is not allowing part of the program to close properly or if it is getting information from somewhere else.

Gene

Gene

I meant Thunderbird.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2021 9:36 AM

I don't have outlook installed on my computer. I am using the latest
version of Thunderbird as my Email client. Thunderbird is the only
Email client I have installed and use.

On 1/9/2021 9:27 AM, Gene wrote:
Did you close Outlook While the beta was installed, then install an earlier version and not Open outlook before doing so or after for a time? that is the test I had in mind.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Don H

closed. Would appear that the beta is the issue.

Gene

I won't say that NVDA is not at play here, because it could be, but ALT+F4 is not an NVDA command, and not tied to NVDA in any way.  It's a Windows command that the program window with focus when it's issued responds to.  If Thunderbird continues to be "hanging about" with something running in the background, probabilities are that it's not NVDA causing this.

I have asked on a tech geek group specifically for professional techs I haunt whether there is a handy PowerShell and/or Command Prompt command or pipe sequence that would allow someone to zero in on whether a process or cluster of processes of a given name are running.  It is my understanding that both Task Manager and Process Monitor are, while not strictly speaking inaccessible, not exactly anywhere near to easy to use with a screen reader.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Kevin Cussick

strange, same version beta3 and windows10 home 64bit and not getting this. is Your tb 64bit or 32bit? I use the 64bit version.

On 09/01/2021 15:15, Don H wrote:
I have uninstalled the beta 3 and gone back to NVDA 2020-3 and the issue is resolved with no new email announcements coming with thunderbird closed.  Would appear that the beta is the issue.

Gene

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon:  This may not be the case.  At times Thunder Bird doesn't close and you have to use the applications key and hit the e key or arrow down to refresh and hit enter.  Another question here, does the windows key + w close the Thunder Bird application or not.

Dave

On 1/9/2021 8:06 AM, Gene wrote:
Perhaps the beta is announcing information from elsewhere.  Try closing Thunderbird while the beta is running.  Then switch to an earlier version. See if you hear announcements in the earlier version. That will help determine if the beta is not allowing part of the program to close properly or if it is getting information from somewhere else.

Gene

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon Don:  Did you check to see if anything in notifications had changed with the bata version of NVDA to the running version?

Dave

On 1/9/2021 8:15 AM, Don H wrote:
I have uninstalled the beta 3 and gone back to NVDA 2020-3 and the issue is resolved with no new email announcements coming with thunderbird closed.  Would appear that the beta is the issue.

Gene

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon:  It's possible that something is running in the background after closing Thunder Bird by all means.  I have closed Thunder Bird and it doesn't respond as being completely closed.  If I press the application key, and go down to refresh, and press enter, then it's closed.  However, until it is refreshed, it just sits there.  It doesn't happen everytime.

Dave

On 1/9/2021 9:03 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I won't say that NVDA is not at play here, because it could be, but ALT+F4 is not an NVDA command, and not tied to NVDA in any way.  It's a Windows command that the program window with focus when it's issued responds to.  If Thunderbird continues to be "hanging about" with something running in the background, probabilities are that it's not NVDA causing this.

I have asked on a tech geek group specifically for professional techs I haunt whether there is a handy PowerShell and/or Command Prompt command or pipe sequence that would allow someone to zero in on whether a process or cluster of processes of a given name are running.  It is my understanding that both Task Manager and Process Monitor are, while not strictly speaking inaccessible, not exactly anywhere near to easy to use with a screen reader.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Gene

I don't know if a program can still have processes running in the background and not show up in the task manager list of running programs. But if you look in the processes part of the dialog and don't show the process for Thunderbird, as far as I know it isn't running. I don't know what you are describing in terms of where you use the appliccations key and where you use the refresh command.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 3:36 PM

Good Afternoon: It's possible that something is running in the background after closing Thunder Bird by all means. I have closed Thunder Bird and it doesn't respond as being completely closed. If I press the application key, and go down to refresh, and press enter, then it's closed. However, until it is refreshed, it just sits there. It doesn't happen everytime.

Dave

I won't say that NVDA is not at play here, because it could be, but ALT+F4 is not an NVDA command, and not tied to NVDA in any way. It's a Windows command that the program window with focus when it's issued responds to. If Thunderbird continues to be "hanging about" with something running in the background, probabilities are that it's not NVDA causing this.

I have asked on a tech geek group specifically for professional techs I haunt whether there is a handy PowerShell and/or Command Prompt command or pipe sequence that would allow someone to zero in on whether a process or cluster of processes of a given name are running. It is my understanding that both Task Manager and Process Monitor are, while not strictly speaking inaccessible, not exactly anywhere near to easy to use with a screen reader.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

~ Brian Vogel

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon:  If Thunder Bird has been running and you press the alt + f4 and this silenece.  Then Press the Alt + t to see what is running and you hear Thunder Bird, then press the application key and arrow down to refresh in windows 10.  Then press the alt + f4 to close it out.  The other answer is yes there can be applications running in the background and they won't be shown on the taskbar.  It is like the old answer of don't assume anything in windows.  It's like they are hidden from the screen readers of the taskbar.

Dave

On 1/13/2021 2:52 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know if a program can still have processes running in the background and not show up in the task manager list of running programs.  But if you look in the processes part of the dialog and don't show the process for Thunderbird, as far as I know it isn't running.  I don't know what you are describing in terms of where you use the appliccations key and where you use the refresh command.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Dave Grossoehme
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 3:36 PM

Good Afternoon:  It's possible that something is running in the background after closing Thunder Bird by all means.  I have closed Thunder Bird and it doesn't respond as being completely closed. If I press the application key, and go down to refresh, and press enter, then it's closed.  However, until it is refreshed, it just sits there.  It doesn't happen everytime.

Dave