Topics

Beyond trust aka avecto: NVDA not reading prompts

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

Has anyone encountered a program called avecto now beyond trust?

https://www.beyondtrust.com/brand/avecto

My employer uses it for privilege management on our laptops. Whenever I need
to install a program or do anything involving administrative privileges, I
am prompted by avecto. NVDA does not speak anything in that dialogue. I have
memorized keystrokes to bypass the dialogue. Having said that, I do wish
there were a solution to this.

Pranav

Jonathan COHN

Are you using a portable copy of NVDA? I would expect this program needs to run as elevated privileges and that therefore the only way NVDA could access its controls is the same way NVDA accesses UAC and other applications with elevated privileges. This requires a version of NVDA that is fully installed on the computer.
HTH!
Jonathan

On Oct 12, 2020, at 10:15 AM, Pranav Lal <pranav.lal@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Has anyone encountered a program called avecto now beyond trust?

https://www.beyondtrust.com/brand/avecto

My employer uses it for privilege management on our laptops. Whenever I need
to install a program or do anything involving administrative privileges, I
am prompted by avecto. NVDA does not speak anything in that dialogue. I have
memorized keystrokes to bypass the dialogue. Having said that, I do wish
there were a solution to this.

Pranav

Carlos Medrano

Pranav,
I'm not entirely sure what may be happening in your case, but I'm almost certain that the program is spawning a window as the local system account in Windows. Many programs of this nature tend to do that because they run deeply ingrained with the operating system. The only way I know to work around this is to spawn NVDA as the local system account (don't do this permanently), and then interact with the prompt.
You can do this by using PSExec found at (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psexec). Keep in mind that you need admin access to the machine for this to work.
To use the utility, Unzip it somewhere on your desktop and open a command prompt as administrator. Change directory to the extracted utility. Then spawn a command prompt as the local system account by running something like PSExec.exe -sid cmd. In the new command prompt window, find your NVDA directory and run nvda.exe. NVDA will restart with local system account privileges.
Hope this helps.
-Carlos

On 10/12/2020 9:15 AM, Pranav Lal wrote:
Hi all,

Has anyone encountered a program called avecto now beyond trust?

https://www.beyondtrust.com/brand/avecto

My employer uses it for privilege management on our laptops. Whenever I need
to install a program or do anything involving administrative privileges, I
am prompted by avecto. NVDA does not speak anything in that dialogue. I have
memorized keystrokes to bypass the dialogue. Having said that, I do wish
there were a solution to this.

Pranav

Carlos Medrano

If the program spawns a window in the local system account, it's not enough to run as administrator in some cases. You literally need to start nvda with the system account as the owner of the process.

On 10/12/2020 12:35 PM, Jonathan COHN via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Hi Jonathan,

NVDA is fully installed on my work laptop.

Pranav

Pranav Lal

Hi Carlos,

Many thanks. I am not sure if I will be allowed to run PsExec but this is something worth trying so I'll test and keep everyone posted.

Pranav

Tyler Spivey

Have you tried just starting Narrator?

On 10/12/2020 6:47 PM, Pranav Lal wrote:
Hi Carlos,
Many thanks. I am not sure if I will be allowed to run PsExec but this is something worth trying so I'll test and keep everyone posted.
Pranav

Well, you could simply ask to have it uninstalled from your laptop and not use it.

If this is something that is needed, maybe have a time you can just get the admins to do something to update whatever it is.

Not sure about this software per say, but maybe you can exclude things from it, like updating your reader, etc.

Generally you don't need or should install anything not work related on a company laptop.

On 13/10/2020 3:15 am, Pranav Lal wrote:
Hi all,

Has anyone encountered a program called avecto now beyond trust?

https://www.beyondtrust.com/brand/avecto

My employer uses it for privilege management on our laptops. Whenever I need
to install a program or do anything involving administrative privileges, I
am prompted by avecto. NVDA does not speak anything in that dialogue. I have
memorized keystrokes to bypass the dialogue. Having said that, I do wish
there were a solution to this.

Pranav

Pranav Lal

Hi Tyler,

I tried launching narrator on the avecto screen without success.

Pranav