Blackboard and NVDA

Maria Reyes

Hi, I am starting school this fall and was wondering how accessible Blackboard is with NVDA?

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

It's been a while since I've used Blackboard, but when I did I had
very few problems with it.

On 4/13/21, Maria Reyes <sassyblindgirl@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I am starting school this fall and was wondering how accessible
Blackboard is with NVDA?

Giles Turnbull

I used Blackboard for a university course in 2018/19 and it worked fine. There are a few website articles about people's experiences of using Blakboard with screen-reading software, and the verdict is that it usually depends on how the university have configured their version of Blackboard. Some universities do it well, and others don't!

If your school has a disability office, they should be able to tell you whether other blind students have had any difficulties with Blackboard. Good luck with your course(s) :)

Giles

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 06:42 PM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
If your school has a disability office, they should be able to tell you whether other blind students have had any difficulties with Blackboard.
-
I say the following not to disparage either Disability Services Offices at colleges nor blind students, but it really is important to keep the following in mind:

1. There are lots of Disability Services Offices that have individuals running them or on "the front line" that have very little experience in the field.  And I can say that from having had to teach folks I would have assumed would know about screen readers in some detail the basics.  There are also smaller schools (and several exist in my area) where a blind student is, relatively speaking, rare.

2. What was the experience level of the students being used as reference points with screen readers prior to using Blackboard?  I have had pitched battles with several schools about setting up sandbox systems for blind and visually impaired students to "play with" before they actually have to use Blackboard for real course management task.  I have had a number of students (as a tutor) who are trying to learn to use a screen reader at the same time as they're trying to learn to use Blackboard at the same time they're trying to absorb the course material.  Let me say that it generally doesn't go smoothly.

When it comes to #2, make sure you know that you're comparing like to like skill level to get a realistic sense of what may be the situation for you.  If you're a skilled screen reader user Blackboard is, by and large, just another web based application.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon