Topics

Bluetooth problem

John J. Boyer

Hello,

I have Windows 10 pro, NVDAA 2019.2 and a Focus 40 Blue paired with the computer via Bluetooth. Until a few weeks ago I could turn off the Braille display and
when I turned it on again it would immediately reconnect with the computer. Now when I turn off the display the computer turns off Bluetooth. I have to restart
NVDA to re-establish the connection. I'm lucky that NVDA turns Bluetooth back on! My computer tech tried disabling power management for the Bluetooth card, but
that hasn't helped. Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a solution?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
Status: Company dissolved but website and email addresses live.
Mission: developing assistive technology software and providing STEM services
that are available at no cost

John,

What Bluetooth card do you have in your machine, and when were the device drivers last updated?   If it's an Intel card they have been churning out update after update for the last several years now and not supplying same to the computer OEMs or Microsoft in a timely manner.   There is a strong symbiotic relationship between device drivers and Windows 10 itself, so it's essential to keep both up to date.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

~ André Gide

Giles Turnbull

Hi John,

I wonder if Tony Malykh's bluetooth audio addon might help. It is intended to stop the computer's blue tooth from going into standby for audio purposes, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for your Braille device's bluetooth connection too.

This is the web link:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/BluetoothAudio.en.html

And this, copied from the addon page, explains how it works:
"Most bluetooth devices enter standby mode after a few seconds of inactivity. That means that when NVDA starts speaking again, the first split second of sound will be lost. Bluetooth Audio add-on prevents bluetooth devices from entering standby mode by constantly playing a silent sound, that is inaudible to a human ear."

Hope it helps :)

Giles

Tony Malykh

My add-on won't help here unfortunately - since it only works with audio devices.

I have experienced similar connectivity problems a while ago with my bluetooth headphones and it was resolved after installing new bluetooth drivers. Judging by the symptoms you're describing your problem indeed sounds like a driver issue. Disabling power saving options for bluetooth seems to be a reasonable thing to try, but if it doesn't help - update your drivers. You'd have to figure out the name of your bluetooth chip and find most recent drivers for it - this is what helped in my case.

--Tony

On 9/11/2019 8:39 AM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
Hi John,

I wonder if Tony Malykh's bluetooth audio addon might help. It is intended to stop the computer's blue tooth from going into standby for audio purposes, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for your Braille device's bluetooth connection too.

This is the web link:

"Most bluetooth devices enter standby mode after a few seconds of inactivity. That means that when NVDA starts speaking again, the first split second of sound will be lost. Bluetooth Audio add-on prevents bluetooth devices from entering standby mode by constantly playing a silent sound, that is inaudible to a human ear."

Giles

John J. Boyer

Hello,

Thanks to all of you who replied to my original message. as a result I have concluded that theBluetooth chip in my computer is probably incompatible with a recent
Microsoft update. I have an Acer notebook computer with Windows 10 Pro. It was doing fine until a few weeks ago. We will try to find the correct driver and
install it.

John

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 10:41:11AM -0700, Tony Malykh wrote:
My add-on won't help here unfortunately - since it only works with audio
devices.

I have experienced similar connectivity problems a while ago with my
bluetooth headphones and it was resolved after installing new bluetooth
drivers. Judging by the symptoms you're describing your problem indeed
sounds like a driver issue. Disabling power saving options for bluetooth
seems to be a reasonable thing to try, but if it doesn't help - update your
drivers. You'd have to figure out the name of your bluetooth chip and find
most recent drivers for it - this is what helped in my case.

--Tony

On 9/11/2019 8:39 AM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
Hi John,

I wonder if Tony Malykh's bluetooth audio addon might help. It is
intended to stop the computer's blue tooth from going into standby for
audio purposes, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for your Braille
device's bluetooth connection too.

This is the web link:

"Most bluetooth devices enter standby mode after a few seconds of
inactivity. That means that when NVDA starts speaking again, the first
split second of sound will be lost. Bluetooth Audio add-on prevents
bluetooth devices from entering standby mode by constantly playing a
silent sound, that is inaudible to a human ear."

Giles

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
Status: Company dissolved but website and email addresses live.
Mission: developing assistive technology software and providing STEM services
that are available at no cost