Bluetooth speakers with Windows

Daniel McGee

hi all

Why is it, that, whenever I use my bose speaker on windows, with screenreaders, they chop off the first part of what is being spoken. Yet, when I tried Linux, or IOS, no problem at all.

Because of how Windows handles power management (and sleeping) for Bluetooth.  There's actually an add-on to address this issue:

BluetoothAudio

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Go and grab Silenzio from here:-

http://www.stefankiss.sk/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=112

This keeps the sound card awake all the time. It's aggressive power management of the sound card that causes the problem.

Jaws has the ability to keep the sound card awake built in, but until we get it for NVDA, then Silenzio is the answer.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@comproom.co.uk
Why is it, that, whenever I use my bose speaker on windows, with screenreaders, they chop off the first part of what is being spoken.
Yet, when I tried Linux, or IOS, no problem at all.

Steve Nutt

Ah excellent, thanks Brian, I wasn’t aware of that one.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

Because of how Windows handles power management (and sleeping) for Bluetooth.  There's actually an add-on to address this issue:

BluetoothAudio

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Kevin Cussick

well for me this addon did not fix the blue tooth audio cutting off words.

On 08/05/2021 15:14, Brian Vogel wrote:
Because of how Windows handles power management (and sleeping) for Bluetooth.  There's actually an add-on to address this issue:
BluetoothAudio
<https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/BluetoothAudio.en.html>
/Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself./
       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Gene

I don’t recall if anyone sent a link for Silenzio.  Here is a Jonathan Mosen discussion of the problem which includes a link.

If you don’t want to read the article, search the page for Silenzio and you will get to the discussion of it.

Gene

well for me this addon did not fix the blue tooth audio cutting off words.

On 08/05/2021 15:14, Brian Vogel wrote:
> Because of how Windows handles power management (and sleeping) for
> Bluetooth.  There's actually an add-on to address this issue:
>

>   BluetoothAudio
>   <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/BluetoothAudio.en.html>
>
> --
>
> Brian -Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042
>
> /Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win
> unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself./
>
>         ~ Richard M. Nixon

Steve Nutt

No, but I think Silenzio will. That add-on is not great, I tested it.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@comproom.co.uk
well for me this addon did not fix the blue tooth audio cutting off words.

On 08/05/2021 15:14, Brian Vogel wrote:
Because of how Windows handles power management (and sleeping) for
Bluetooth. There's actually an add-on to address this issue:

BluetoothAudio
<https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/BluetoothAudio.en.html>

/Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win
unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself./

~ Richard M. Nixon

Martin Courcelles

The ones I use for keeping the Bluetooth sound going is either: SPDIF KeepAlive, found here:

SPDIF KeepAlive for Home Theatre PC - Rhys Goodwin's Weblog

Or the SoundKeeper tool, which he suggested in his blog at:

SPDIF/HDMI Sound Keeper v1.1.0 [2020/07/18] — VEG's Blog

Cheers,

Martin

I don’t recall if anyone sent a link for Silenzio.  Here is a Jonathan Mosen discussion of the problem which includes a link.

If you don’t want to read the article, search the page for Silenzio and you will get to the discussion of it.

Gene

well for me this addon did not fix the blue tooth audio cutting off words.

On 08/05/2021 15:14, Brian Vogel wrote:
> Because of how Windows handles power management (and sleeping) for
> Bluetooth.  There's actually an add-on to address this issue:
>

>   BluetoothAudio
>   <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/BluetoothAudio.en.html>
>
> --
>
> Brian -Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042
>
> /Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win
> unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself./
>
>         ~ Richard M. Nixon

Kevin Cussick

that did not work for me either.

On 09/05/2021 11:31, Steve Nutt wrote:
[...]

Since neither add-on solves the problem, I am suspicious that the problem isn’t the usual one.  Anything that keeps the sound card active, such as Silenzio, as I understand it, should solve the problem and I would expect the Add-on Brian referenced to solve it as well.

We need more information.  does the problem occur when and only when there has been no audio for a time or does it occur at other times?  We assumed the problem occurred after a period of no audio but since the expected solutions don’t work, we have to see if our assumptions are correct.

Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2021 4:14 PM

that did not work for me either.

On 09/05/2021 11:31, Steve Nutt wrote:
> No, but I think Silenzio will.  That add-on is not great, I tested it.
>
> All the best
>
> Steve
>
> --
>
> Computer Room Services
> 77 Exeter Close
> Stevenage
> Hertfordshire
> SG1 4PW
> T: +44(0)1438-742286
> M: +44(0)7956-334938
> F: +44(0)1438-759589
> E: steve@...

Kevin Cussick

Yes correct. OK then now what.

On 09/05/2021 22:21, Gene wrote:
[...]

I can propose two possibilities.

I don’t particularly like this possible workaround but you may want to try it.  I also have no idea if it will work since other expected solutions didn’t.  Perhaps having something playing at so low a volume that you can hardly hear it will work and what is playing could be a looping file of white noise.  I can prepare a file that you can have a player loop for continuous play.  You can set the volume of the player as you wish.

You might have to get used to the white noise, even if it is very soft, it may be distracting until you get used to it.

Or there may be a much better work around.  After a ;period of disuse, get in the habit of issuing a command that does nothing but generate speech.  Then issue whatever command or commands you were going to do.  NVDA key t, for example, before issuing other commands would solve the problem since that command generates speech and never does anything.  I think I would prefer that work around to the white noise one but I’m offering both so you have choices.

Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2021 4:24 PM

Yes correct. OK then now what.

On 09/05/2021 22:21, Gene wrote:
> Since neither add-on solves the problem, I am suspicious that the problem isn’t the usual one.  Anything that keeps the sound card active, such as Silenzio, as I understand it, should solve the problem and I would expect the Add-on Brian referenced to solve it as well.
>
> We need more information.  does the problem occur when and only when there has been no audio for a time or does it occur at other times?  We assumed the problem occurred after a period of no audio but since the expected solutions don’t work, we have to see if our assumptions are correct.
>
> Gene

Kevin Cussick

Hi, thanks no I will just stay with wired head phones they work with thanks.

On 09/05/2021 22:48, Gene wrote:
[...]

Hi Jean,

I suspect that the Bluetooth speaker itself is laggy.  This occurs because it is Bluetooth Version 4 or less.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2021 4:14 PM

that did not work for me either.

On 09/05/2021 11:31, Steve Nutt wrote:
> No, but I think Silenzio will.  That add-on is not great, I tested it.
>
> All the best
>
> Steve
>
> --
>
> Computer Room Services
> 77 Exeter Close
> Stevenage
> Hertfordshire
> SG1 4PW
> T: +44(0)1438-742286
> M: +44(0)7956-334938
> F: +44(0)1438-759589
> E: steve@...

Akshaya Choudhary

I have observed that this problem is not there with NVDA versions before 19.3. I have NVDA 19.2 installed on my machine and I face no such issues. Occasionally I also use a portable copy of the latest NVDA and experience the exact issue described here.

--
Regards,
Sociohack

Daniel McGee

Hi all, I use the  solution provided by Brian and NVDA speech is now working well out of the speaker.

For anyone interested, here's the add on again, pasted below for your convenience. Hope it helps anyone else out here.

Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2021 4:14 PM