Topics

Braille input focus 40 blue 5th gen and NVDA

Justin Harford

Greetings everyone

I'm trying to learn about the braille display offerings out there to get a sense of a good match. I was recommended to take a look at the focus 40 blue fifth-generation. I read through their documentation and it almost sort of sounds like according to the brochure the ability to input braille is limited to when you are using JAWS, but when I look at the online manual from the company, it vaguely seems like any screenreader that supports braille input would work. Has anyone successfully used the focus 40 blue with NVDA to input braille?

Regards
Justin
Justin Harford (he/him/his)
Program Coordinator (NCDE)
Mobility International USA (MIUSA)
132 E Broadway Suite 343
Eugene OR 97401
541-343-1284 (voice)
jharford@... (email)

Quentin Christensen

Hi Justin,

I haven't got a Focus 40 myself, but it should certainly work with NVDA.  Here is the section from our user guide on the Focus and other Freedom Scientific displays: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#FreedomScientificFocus

If you want to reassign any of the default key assignments, you can do that in NVDA with NVDA's Input Gestures dialog: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#InputGestures

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Roberto Perez

I have successfully used a Focus 40 blue 5 generation with NVDA. It is necessary to install a driver that can be found in the following FS page: https://support.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/Focus/FocusBlueBrailleDisplayDriver.

It is possible to add commands to toggle the modifier keys using the input gestures dialog but I don’t think it is possible to emulate the function keys, so you may have to depend on an external keyboard up to some extent. There is an addon that extends NVDA braille support considerably called braille extender  which adds support for the functions keys but I don’t think it has been updated to support the latest versions of NVDA.

Justin Harford

Greetings

Thank you for these helpful answers. I was mainly trying to figure out if you can type using the braille keyboard and grade 2 braille.

Have a great week.

Regards
Justin Harford (he/him/his)
Program Coordinator (NCDE)