Topics

Braille me and NVDA2019.3?

Josh Kennedy

Hi,
Is there a braille me addon that works with NVDA 2019.3 yet? I downloaded the latest from the innovision website and it said the current addon is not compatible. So do I have to stay with 2019.2 for now if I want to use the braille me display with NVDA?

Josh

Sent from my iPod

Quentin Christensen

Did you check with Innovision about an update?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Josh Kennedy

I emailed the braille me list and am waiting to hear back from them. Other than that I really like the braille me display! For $500 it does stuff that $5000 braille note-takers do but at a fraction of the price. Its on-board braille translation is excellent and the braille is like reading hard firm braille on an elevator door, ATM machine, hotel room door, or bathroom door signage braille.

Christo de Klerk

Josh

Shyam from Innovision gave me the assurance that there will definitely be a compatible add-on for NVDA once version 2019.3 is released. I will keep following up with them about it. I would have preferred it if they made available a compatible version which one could test with the Beta of NVDA in the meantime. Still, they are aware that many need the add-on. I have used the BrailleMe a lot with NVDA and it works really well. There is just a vast number of commands which are a bit of a challenge to memorise, especially with an ageing memory like mine😈👴

Kind regards

Christo

On 2020/02/07 2:02 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
I emailed the braille me list and am waiting to hear back from them. Other than that I re the braille me display! For $500 it does stuff that $5000 braille note-takers do but at a fraction of the price. Its on-board braille translation is excellent and the braille is like reading hard firm braille on an elevator door, ATM machine, hotel room door, or bathroom door signage braille.

Josh Kennedy

Hi cristo,
I would like to see the braille me have a bluetooth and USB emulation mode so it could emulate another common display like a baum vario20 or refreshabraille18 that way it could work with more screen readers. And also a USB serial mode for any screen readers that may need that connection type as well such as those using old copies of window-eyes.

Josh

Brian Tew

Not Baum--they are history

Buddy Brannan

Dunno about that. Weren’t their assets purchased by another company not long after they went away in 2017-2018? So they may emerge again, but no idea when or what form that will take, if any.

Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962

On Feb 8, 2020, at 10:39 AM, Brian Tew via Groups.Io <briantew1951=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Not Baum--they are history

Jason White

I read an announcement some time ago about a new USB standard for braille devices. If I remember correctly, it was part of the HID standard.

If braille display manufacturers implement the standard, then many of these issues with screen reader compatibility will go away. I don't know which manufacturers plan to implement, however.

On 2/8/20, 10:55, "Buddy Brannan" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of buddy@...> wrote:

Dunno about that. Weren’t their assets purchased by another company not long after they went away in 2017-2018? So they may emerge again, but no idea when or what form that will take, if any.

Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962

On Feb 8, 2020, at 10:39 AM, Brian Tew via Groups.Io <briantew1951=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

> Not Baum--they are history

Buddy Brannan

So far, Orbit Research is the only one from whom I’ve seen any sort of announcement, and that being they’re the first to implement the new USB braille display specification. The question then becomes, which screen reader manufacturers are taking advantage of it? So…yeah, great that at least one manufacturer has implemented. I *think* NVDA and Narrator support it. Maybe that means it’s built into Windows. I recall Apple was involved in the implementation of the standard, but I don’t know if it’s been built into OS X or not. Since it appears to be USB and not bluetooth, it is probably not on iOS. So it seems to me that getting the standard fully realized is not going to be a short or easy process, though I’m glad it’s at least started.

On Feb 8, 2020, at 11:10 AM, Jason White via Groups.Io <jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

We can add Vispero to the list:

On 2/8/20, 11:37, "Buddy Brannan" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of buddy@...> wrote:

So far, Orbit Research is the only one from whom I’ve seen any sort of announcement, and that being they’re the first to implement the new USB braille display specification. The question then becomes, which screen reader manufacturers are taking advantage of it? So…yeah, great that at least one manufacturer has implemented. I *think* NVDA and Narrator support it. Maybe that means it’s built into Windows. I recall Apple was involved in the implementation of the standard, but I don’t know if it’s been built into OS X or not. Since it appears to be USB and not bluetooth, it is probably not on iOS. So it seems to me that getting the standard fully realized is not going to be a short or easy process, though I’m glad it’s at least started.

Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962

On Feb 8, 2020, at 11:10 AM, Jason White via Groups.Io <jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io> wrote:

> I read an announcement some time ago about a new USB standard for braille devices. If I remember correctly, it was part of the HID standard.
>
> If braille display manufacturers implement the standard, then many of these issues with screen reader compatibility will go away. I don't know which manufacturers plan to implement, however.
>
> On 2/8/20, 10:55, "Buddy Brannan" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of buddy@...> wrote:
>
> Dunno about that. Weren’t their assets purchased by another company not long after they went away in 2017-2018? So they may emerge again, but no idea when or what form that will take, if any.
>

> Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
> Email: buddy@...
> Mobile: (814) 431-0962
>

>> On Feb 8, 2020, at 10:39 AM, Brian Tew via Groups.Io <briantew1951=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> Not Baum--they are history

Jason White

With apologies - I forgot to paste the link:
https://blog.freedomscientific.com/usbhid1/

On 2/8/20, 12:54, "Jason White via Groups.Io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io> wrote:

We can add Vispero to the list:

On 2/8/20, 11:37, "Buddy Brannan" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of buddy@...> wrote:

So far, Orbit Research is the only one from whom I’ve seen any sort of announcement, and that being they’re the first to implement the new USB braille display specification. The question then becomes, which screen reader manufacturers are taking advantage of it? So…yeah, great that at least one manufacturer has implemented. I *think* NVDA and Narrator support it. Maybe that means it’s built into Windows. I recall Apple was involved in the implementation of the standard, but I don’t know if it’s been built into OS X or not. Since it appears to be USB and not bluetooth, it is probably not on iOS. So it seems to me that getting the standard fully realized is not going to be a short or easy process, though I’m glad it’s at least started.

Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962

On Feb 8, 2020, at 11:10 AM, Jason White via Groups.Io <jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io> wrote:

> I read an announcement some time ago about a new USB standard for braille devices. If I remember correctly, it was part of the HID standard.
>
> If braille display manufacturers implement the standard, then many of these issues with screen reader compatibility will go away. I don't know which manufacturers plan to implement, however.
>
> On 2/8/20, 10:55, "Buddy Brannan" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of buddy@...> wrote:
>
> Dunno about that. Weren’t their assets purchased by another company not long after they went away in 2017-2018? So they may emerge again, but no idea when or what form that will take, if any.
>

> Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
> Email: buddy@...
> Mobile: (814) 431-0962
>

>> On Feb 8, 2020, at 10:39 AM, Brian Tew via Groups.Io <briantew1951=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> Not Baum--they are history

Rui Fontes

The Handy Tech, or better, Help Tech Braille displays use HID long before Orbit Reader...

Rui Fontes

Às 17:54 de 08/02/2020, Jason White via Groups.Io escreveu:

With apologies - I forgot to paste the link:
https://blog.freedomscientific.com/usbhid1/

On 2/8/20, 12:54, "Jason White via Groups.Io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io> wrote:

We can add Vispero to the list:

On 2/8/20, 11:37, "Buddy Brannan" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of buddy@...> wrote:

So far, Orbit Research is the only one from whom I’ve seen any sort of announcement, and that being they’re the first to implement the new USB braille display specification. The question then becomes, which screen reader manufacturers are taking advantage of it? So…yeah, great that at least one manufacturer has implemented. I *think* NVDA and Narrator support it. Maybe that means it’s built into Windows. I recall Apple was involved in the implementation of the standard, but I don’t know if it’s been built into OS X or not. Since it appears to be USB and not bluetooth, it is probably not on iOS. So it seems to me that getting the standard fully realized is not going to be a short or easy process, though I’m glad it’s at least started.

Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962

> On Feb 8, 2020, at 11:10 AM, Jason White via Groups.Io <jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I read an announcement some time ago about a new USB standard for braille devices. If I remember correctly, it was part of the HID standard.
>
> If braille display manufacturers implement the standard, then many of these issues with screen reader compatibility will go away. I don't know which manufacturers plan to implement, however.
>
> On 2/8/20, 10:55, "Buddy Brannan" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of buddy@...> wrote:
>
> Dunno about that. Weren’t their assets purchased by another company not long after they went away in 2017-2018? So they may emerge again, but no idea when or what form that will take, if any.
>

> Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
> Email: buddy@...
> Mobile: (814) 431-0962
>

>> On Feb 8, 2020, at 10:39 AM, Brian Tew via Groups.Io <briantew1951=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> Not Baum--they are history

Buddy Brannan

While this is true, there was no specific braille display specification. That wasn’t finalized until mid-2018. Yes, Handytech and theAlva BC640 did use an HID interface, as did the Refreshabraille, and yes, they were well ahead of the curve in that respect. But what we’re talking about here is the new HID specification specifically for refreshable braille displays, which was only finalized in 2018. I see commitments (with a google search) from Vespero, Hims, and Dolphin, all positive signs. I don’t know if any of them have actually implemented the specification or not though.