Browse Mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts

Mike Adams

NVDA Browse mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts (H for heading X for checkbox etc.) do not work on this computer. I remember coming across an online page which recommended settings for Windows 10, to make this work, but I have not found that page since. Anyone remember the page I am talking about?

Using:
Current NVDA + previous version
Windows 10 Pro V: 20H2 Build: 19042.1165
Windows is maintained by an external company, but I have good coms with them.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

What is happening is nvda not changing to browse mode? in a web page?

Is there some thing else grabbing the focus and you are stuck in focus mode?

Is it only in the one browser or all of the browsers or nvda is saying unknown down on the running applications area.

I guess the first thing I would try is running the Run COM Registration Fixing tool... under the tools section in nvda and follow the directions.

After that is done shut down the computer then start it up again and see if that fixes the problem.

There have been updates in the nvda 2021.2 release for this tool so make sure you have this version of nvda.

We wil see if it makes a difference.

Gene nz

On 5/10/2021 1:53 pm, Mike Adams wrote:
NVDA Browse mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts (H for heading X for checkbox etc.) do not work on this computer. I remember coming across an online page which recommended settings for Windows 10, to make this work, but I have not found that page since. Anyone remember the page I am talking about?

Using:
Current NVDA + previous version
Windows 10 Pro V: 20H2 Build: 19042.1165
Windows is maintained by an external company, but I have good coms with them.

Mike Adams

> What is happening is nvda not changing to browse mode? in a web page?

Correct

> Is there some thing else grabbing the focus and you are stuck in focus mode?

It will read web pages, it will follow the mouse pointer, it will follow the tab key through links. But if i press H, X, 1 or any letter it just repeats the letter pressed back to me. It makes it frustrating to jump forward for our blind student in his known web pages (eg GMail in HTML mode)

> Is it only in the one browser or all of the browsers or nvda is saying unknown down on the running applications area.

All browsers though we use Chrome and Firefox with the blind student.

> I guess the first thing I would try is running the Run COM Registration Fixing tool... under the tools section in nvda and follow the directions.

Done, no change

> After that is done shut down the computer then start it up again and see if that fixes the problem.

Done, no change

> There have been updates in the nvda 2021.2 release for this tool so make sure you have this version of nvda.

I had and have.

> We wil see if it makes a difference.

Sorry, none

> Gene nz

I saw, at least a year ago, a reference to a webpage that suggested making setup changes in Windows 10 to make it more NVDA friendly. I can no longer find that reference or the page. I'm sure it had a list of about 10 settings/registry changes/services that could be tweaked. We were still running Windows server 2012 at that time, and NVDA was behaving well. It has never worked correctly on this desktop.

Michael, Napier, Hawkes Bay

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 15:06, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

Rui Fontes

Hello!

If you press Escape, after that the keys work as expected?

Other possibility, press NVDA+Spacebar and try the keys...

Rui Fontes

Às 20:38 de 07/10/2021, Mike Adams escreveu:

> [...]

After that is done shut down the computer then start it up again and see if that fixes the problem.

There have been updates in the nvda 2021.2 release for this tool so make sure you have this version of nvda.

We wil see if it makes a difference.

Gene nz

On 5/10/2021 1:53 pm, Mike Adams wrote:
NVDA Browse mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts (H for heading X for checkbox etc.) do not work on this computer. I remember coming across an online page which recommended settings for Windows 10, to make this work, but I have not found that page since. Anyone remember the page I am talking about?

Using:
Current NVDA + previous version
Windows 10 Pro V: 20H2 Build: 19042.1165
Windows is maintained by an external company, but I have good coms with them.

Gene

While I haven’t seen the article with suggested tweaks, I doubt this problem is addressed.  I have either never or almost never seen it discussed before.  Something is interfering with the keys working with NVDA.

Can you give the person another computer with a different installation of Windows?  I don’t know the technical term but it is my understanding that often in businesses and institutions, people will receive computers with exactly the same copy of Windows placed, not installed, on the hard drive.  If this is a Windows problem, if the problem exists on one computer, it may on all.  Is there a way to repair Windows that might correct it?  I’ll let others discuss such questions.  I can raise them, but I don’t have the technical knowledge to discuss them.

> [...]

After that is done shut down the computer then start it up again and see if that fixes the problem.

There have been updates in the nvda 2021.2 release for this tool so make sure you have this version of nvda.

We wil see if it makes a difference.

Gene nz

On 5/10/2021 1:53 pm, Mike Adams wrote:
NVDA Browse mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts (H for heading X for checkbox etc.) do not work on this computer. I remember coming across an online page which recommended settings for Windows 10, to make this work, but I have not found that page since. Anyone remember the page I am talking about?

Using:
Current NVDA + previous version
Windows 10 Pro V: 20H2 Build: 19042.1165
Windows is maintained by an external company, but I have good coms with them.

Simple enough to try:  Clear browser cache, for all time, then try again.

Some of the most bizarre issues I've ever encountered under Windows, one of which was utterly atypical keyboard shortcut behavior for JAWS, were the result of corrupted browser cache.

Make sure you either clear cache, exit the browser, and start again.  Or exit the browser and use a third party tool such as System Ninja or the like to clear the cache.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Michael,

Could I ask also have you tried the following to see if there is a difference.

Download a fresh copy of nvda and when you click on it there are 3 options one is to make a portable copy of nvda. Pick this option but also make sure you create a directory called nvda so the files go into it. Then if you know how make a shortcut to the desktop and asign a hot key for it to start it.

Or if you do it off a usb stick you will need to click on the nvda.exe file to start it. When it is running then try going back into the browser and see if the problem is fixed.

If this is the case then the nvda.ini file might of got corrupted on the installer version.

But if you still have the same problem with the fresh copy then it may not be nvda.

If it works perfect with a portable copy then I would completely uninstall nvda from the control panel.

Then press the windows key + R to bring up the run dialogue then type %appdata% then press the enter key. You will be given a list of folders with settings in them delete  the nvda one then close that screen.

From the fresh copy of nvda then reinstall nvda to the computer.

The other option is in cases resetting snvda to factory defaults will do the trick. But make sure when you do this and start up nvda you get the message where you can pick your layout having nvda start at startup etc. You will know it has been done correctly if you see that message.

If none of the above work it might be a good idea to disable all add ons and see if that fixes the problem.

To do that when you close nvda with nvda key + Q when you tab there is a combo box arrow down to disable all add ons then tab to ok then press the enter key. If that does the trick then it might be a matter of seeing which add on is doing it then remove it.

Gene nz

On 8/10/2021 8:38 am, Mike Adams wrote:

> [...]

After that is done shut down the computer then start it up again and see if that fixes the problem.

There have been updates in the nvda 2021.2 release for this tool so make sure you have this version of nvda.

We wil see if it makes a difference.

Gene nz

On 5/10/2021 1:53 pm, Mike Adams wrote:
NVDA Browse mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts (H for heading X for checkbox etc.) do not work on this computer. I remember coming across an online page which recommended settings for Windows 10, to make this work, but I have not found that page since. Anyone remember the page I am talking about?

Using:
Current NVDA + previous version
Windows 10 Pro V: 20H2 Build: 19042.1165
Windows is maintained by an external company, but I have good coms with them.

Sarah k Alawami

I’ve had this issue with electron apps as well. I don’t know what causes the issue but it will fix itself after a while.

[...]

From the fresh copy of nvda then reinstall nvda to the computer.

> [...]

After that is done shut down the computer then start it up again and see if that fixes the problem.

There have been updates in the nvda 2021.2 release for this tool so make sure you have this version of nvda.

We wil see if it makes a difference.

Gene nz

On 5/10/2021 1:53 pm, Mike Adams wrote:

NVDA Browse mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts (H for heading X for checkbox etc.) do not work on this computer. I remember coming across an online page which recommended settings for Windows 10, to make this work, but I have not found that page since. Anyone remember the page I am talking about?

Using:

Current NVDA + previous version

Windows 10 Pro V: 20H2 Build: 19042.1165

Windows is maintained by an external company, but I have good coms with them.

I wouldn't assume the problem will correct itself.  I don't use Electron Apps and I don't know if technically, the problem could be the same.  A symptom doesn't necessarily come from the  same cause.

Sending a log to someone with the technnical knowledge to understand it may tell us what the problem is.  I don't recall that suggestion being made yet.

Gene

On 10/8/2021 10:54 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

From the fresh copy of nvda then reinstall nvda to the computer.

> [...]

After that is done shut down the computer then start it up again and see if that fixes the problem.

There have been updates in the nvda 2021.2 release for this tool so make sure you have this version of nvda.

We wil see if it makes a difference.

Gene nz

On 5/10/2021 1:53 pm, Mike Adams wrote:

NVDA Browse mode single letter quick navigation shortcuts (H for heading X for checkbox etc.) do not work on this computer. I remember coming across an online page which recommended settings for Windows 10, to make this work, but I have not found that page since. Anyone remember the page I am talking about?

Using:

Current NVDA + previous version

Windows 10 Pro V: 20H2 Build: 19042.1165

Windows is maintained by an external company, but I have good coms with them.

At the end of it all, it's worth taking The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues
and filing an issue if the problem remains.  And from what has passed earlier in this topic it appears that most, if not all, of those steps have been taken as well as a few more.  If my suggestion about clearing browser cache has not been taken, please do take it, as it's simple and it eliminates another possible factor.

In a case like this, if you've already been thorough about all the basic troubleshooting steps, plus more, I'd also suggest that you:
1. restart NVDA with debug level logging enabled
2. do whatever it is you need to do to reproduce the problem
3. once you've encountered that problem hit NVDA + F1 to open log viewer, select everything, copy the entire log to a new file in Notepad, and save it.
4. Include that log file as part of your issue report.  If memory serves it can be attached.  If not, complete the issue report, and then immediately comment on your own issue, pasting the log file in as the comment.

See: Creating an Issue in GitHub for NVDA

         ~ John F. Kennedy

anthony borg

Hi brian

Which one it is the debug please?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

[...]

I’m not Brian but I was curious about the question.  I didn’t know this was in the exit NVDA dialog.  If you issue the command NVDA key q, you will be in a combo box.  You are on shut down when it opens.  If you down arrow, you will find a number of, at times, important options for how NVDA restarts.  The last one is restart with debug logging enabled.  These restart options only affect how NVDA restarts the one time you press enter on the item you want to be carried out.

Gene.

[...]

Thanks Gene.

As a general note, pretty much any directive of the form, "Restart NVDA with {insert special case action here, e.g., add-ons disabled or debug logging enabled}," is done through the Exit NVDA dialog, using the dropdown you previously mentioned.

These can be done, along with other things, using command line options when starting NVDA but most users don't ever touch the command line, so the commonly requested things that need doing under certain circumstances are included in the Exit NVDA dialog.

Of course, when you use them, NVDA exits and immediately restarts, as opposed to just exiting when the default choice, Exit, is what's selected in that dropdown box.

         ~ John F. Kennedy