Topics

Bug with Windows 10 Clipboard History

Kara Goldfinch

Hi everyone.

I believe this might have been mentioned before, but sometimes when pasting text using the clipboard history menu, either the control key will stick, or it'll just insert the letter v.

It only happens with NVDA. I don't have either of these issues with Narrator.

I have tested this with all add-ons disabled with the same result.

I'm running Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.450) and NVDA version 2020.2. The same happens with the current NVDA alpha, which at time of writing is version alpha-20763,1ef4dfb0.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Kara

Tony Malykh

Hi Kara,

Could you write down exact steps to reproduce this? What is clipboard history?

I am experiencing sticky Control key often, but I don't have a reliable way to reproduce this. If I have one, I might investigate this myself.

--Tony

On 8/21/2020 7:17 AM, Kara Goldfinch wrote:

Hi everyone.

I believe this might have been mentioned before, but sometimes when pasting text using the clipboard history menu, either the control key will stick, or it'll just insert the letter v.

I'm running Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.450) and NVDA version 2020.2. The same happens with the current NVDA alpha, which at time of writing is version alpha-20763,1ef4dfb0.

Thanks in advance,

Kara

Can this be replicated if you use a different keyboard?

I ask only because of how many "intermittently sticky" command keys I've encountered over the years as a computer repair person.  I'm not saying there is not a bug, but you should use a different keyboard, and preferably one you know to be behaving well, as a diagnostic step.  If the behavior does not persist, suspect your keyboard is going wonky.  And they can do this in stages where everything works fine then you have a brief period of "sticky command key" then it releases.  It's definitely not always an all or nothing situation, which makes it hard to diagnose sometimes.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

~ Oscar Wilde

Kara Goldfinch

Brian,

I've tried the same thing on my wife's computer with her keyboard and the same thing happens,.

On 21/08/2020 16:55, Brian Vogel wrote:

I ask only because of how many "intermittently sticky" command keys I've encountered over the years as a computer repair person.  I'm not saying there is not a bug, but you should use a different keyboard, and preferably one you know to be behaving well, as a diagnostic step.  If the behavior does not persist, suspect your keyboard is going wonky.  And they can do this in stages where everything works fine then you have a brief period of "sticky command key" then it releases.  It's definitely not always an all or nothing situation, which makes it hard to diagnose sometimes.
--

~ Oscar Wilde

Hi,

I get a feeling that this is keyboard hook issue – I’m guessing that nVDA’s keyboard input hook is interfering with what clipboard history is supposed to accomplish.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kara Goldfinch
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2020 2:38 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Bug with Windows 10 Clipboard History

Brian,

I've tried the same thing on my wife's computer with her keyboard and the same thing happens,.

On 21/08/2020 16:55, Brian Vogel wrote:

--

~ Oscar Wilde

Kara Goldfinch

Hi Tony,

Here you go,

1. In settings>System>Clipboard, enable the option 'Save multiple items to the clipboard to use later. Press the Windows logo key + V to view your clipboard history and paste from it.'

2. Open Notepad as an example.

3. Type a couple of lines of text, cutting or copying them to the clipboard.

4. Press Win+v, and use up or down arrow to highlight the one you want to paste and press enter."

5. Notice what happens.

Something else I just noticed:

If the window's minimised, you may get an error message about objects.

Kara

On 21/08/2020 16:51, Tony Malykh wrote:

Hi Kara,

I am experiencing sticky Control key often, but I don't have a reliable way to reproduce this. If I have one, I might investigate this myself.

--Tony

Hi everyone.

Thanks in advance,

Kara

Hi,

The latter error is something I’m keeping a very close eye on, as clipboard history is my area of expertise in NVDA source code.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kara Goldfinch
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2020 2:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Bug with Windows 10 Clipboard History

Hi Tony,

Here you go,

1. In settings>System>Clipboard, enable the option 'Save multiple items to the clipboard to use later. Press the Windows logo key + V to view your clipboard history and paste from it.'

2. Open Notepad as an example.

3. Type a couple of lines of text, cutting or copying them to the clipboard.

4. Press Win+v, and use up or down arrow to highlight the one you want to paste and press enter."

5. Notice what happens.

Something else I just noticed:

If the window's minimised, you may get an error message about objects.

Kara

On 21/08/2020 16:51, Tony Malykh wrote:

Hi Kara,

--Tony

Hi everyone.

Thanks in advance,

Kara

Rui Fontes

Yes, it is replicable with several keyboards.

Rui Fontes

Às 16:55 de 21/08/2020, Brian Vogel escreveu:

--

~ Oscar Wilde