From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ryan Mann
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2020 12:49 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Can I bundle the remote addon with NVDA?

I will be connecting to somebody’s computer remotely. This person does not have NVDA installed on their computer. I was thinking that maybe I could some how bundle the NVDA installer with the NVDA Remote addon, put it on my web site then get them to open the link to it. If not, I can just have a link for NVDA and a separate link for the addon. I want to make this as easy as practical.
Thanks.

Tyler Spivey

Sure you can.
Create a portable NVDA and install remote. Set it up to autoconnect. After that, create a self-extracting archive which automatically runs it.
For example, see 7-Zip's help file for -sfx.

On 3/13/2020 12:48 PM, Ryan Mann wrote:
I will be connecting to somebody’s computer remotely. This person does not have NVDA installed on their computer. I was thinking that maybe I could some how bundle the NVDA installer with the NVDA Remote addon, put it on my web site then get them to open the link to it. If not, I can just have a link for NVDA and a separate link for the addon. I want to make this as easy as practical.
Thanks.

Ryan Mann

That’s a good idea. What happens if I need to do something on the computer that requires admin privileges? I thought portable copies of NVDA could not read programs ran in elevated mode.

On Mar 13, 2020, at 4:06 PM, Tyler Spivey <tspivey@...> wrote:

Sure you can.
Create a portable NVDA and install remote. Set it up to autoconnect. After that, create a self-extracting archive which automatically runs it.
For example, see 7-Zip's help file for -sfx.

On 3/13/2020 12:48 PM, Ryan Mann wrote:
I will be connecting to somebody’s computer remotely. This person does not have NVDA installed on their computer. I was thinking that maybe I could some how bundle the NVDA installer with the NVDA Remote addon, put it on my web site then get them to open the link to it. If not, I can just have a link for NVDA and a separate link for the addon. I want to make this as easy as practical.
Thanks.

Tyler Spivey

Then you install the portable copy onto the system with the option in the Tools menu.
You could also try running as admin after you run it the first time. If you use 2019.3, the default action of nvda.exe is to restart, so that might work.
In either case, the person at the other end will have to hit alt y when UAC dialogs come up.

On 3/13/2020 1:13 PM, Ryan Mann wrote:
[...]

Hi,
It can't unless portable NVDA itself is run ad administrator (not recommended). With portable copy, one cannot interact with User Account Control and secure screens effectively.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Why is this not recommended?

On 3/13/2020 1:32 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Actually you can run it as an admin, but i dunno if you can program the portable to auto run as admin on someoen's system.

Take care

On 13 Mar 2020, at 13:13, Ryan Mann wrote:

[...]

Kevin Cussick

Hi, then once the portable version is up and running You get the other person to install threw the tools menu.