Topics

Can I bundle the remote addon with NVDA?

Ryan Mann

I will be connecting to somebody’s computer remotely. This person does not have NVDA installed on their computer. I was thinking that maybe I could some how bundle the NVDA installer with the NVDA Remote addon, put it on my web site then get them to open the link to it. If not, I can just have a link for NVDA and a separate link for the addon. I want to make this as easy as practical.
Thanks.

Hi,
I think it might be best to zip them up into a single zip file, and have this person install the NVDA first followed by the Remote add-on.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ryan Mann
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2020 12:49 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Can I bundle the remote addon with NVDA?

I will be connecting to somebody’s computer remotely. This person does not have NVDA installed on their computer. I was thinking that maybe I could some how bundle the NVDA installer with the NVDA Remote addon, put it on my web site then get them to open the link to it. If not, I can just have a link for NVDA and a separate link for the addon. I want to make this as easy as practical.
Thanks.

Tyler Spivey

Sure you can.
Create a portable NVDA and install remote. Set it up to autoconnect. After that, create a self-extracting archive which automatically runs it.
For example, see 7-Zip's help file for -sfx.

On 3/13/2020 12:48 PM, Ryan Mann wrote:
Thanks.

Ryan Mann

That’s a good idea. What happens if I need to do something on the computer that requires admin privileges? I thought portable copies of NVDA could not read programs ran in elevated mode.

On Mar 13, 2020, at 4:06 PM, Tyler Spivey <tspivey@...> wrote:

Sure you can.
Create a portable NVDA and install remote. Set it up to autoconnect. After that, create a self-extracting archive which automatically runs it.

Thanks.

Tyler Spivey

Then you install the portable copy onto the system with the option in the Tools menu.
You could also try running as admin after you run it the first time. If you use 2019.3, the default action of nvda.exe is to restart, so that might work.
In either case, the person at the other end will have to hit alt y when UAC dialogs come up.

On 3/13/2020 1:13 PM, Ryan Mann wrote:
That’s a good idea. What happens if I need to do something on the computer that requires admin privileges? I thought portable copies of NVDA could not read programs ran in elevated mode.

Sure you can.

Thanks.

Hi,
It can't unless portable NVDA itself is run ad administrator (not recommended). With portable copy, one cannot interact with User Account Control and secure screens effectively.
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent: Friday, March 13, 2020 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I bundle the remote addon with NVDA?

Sure you can.

Thanks.

Tyler Spivey

Why is this not recommended?

On 3/13/2020 1:32 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
It can't unless portable NVDA itself is run ad administrator (not recommended). With portable copy, one cannot interact with User Account Control and secure screens effectively.
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent: Friday, March 13, 2020 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I bundle the remote addon with NVDA?

Sure you can.

Thanks.

Sarah k Alawami

Actually you can run it as an admin, but i dunno if you can program the portable to auto run as admin on someoen's system.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page YOu will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 13 Mar 2020, at 13:13, Ryan Mann wrote:

On Mar 13, 2020, at 4:06 PM, Tyler Spivey tspivey@... wrote:

Sure you can.

Thanks.

Kevin Cussick

Hi, then once the portable version is up and running You get the other person to install threw the tools menu.

On 13/03/2020 20:13, Ryan Mann wrote:

Sure you can.

Thanks.