Can NVDA be made to speak when filters are applied to a column?

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

When I am moving by using the left and right arrows in an Excel worksheet, I
need to know if filters are active and have been applied. This is not
happening. Does NVDA support speaking this?

At work, I use both NVDA and jaws and found this feature of jaws handy.

Pranav

Quentin Christensen

Hi Pranav,

It's not currently possible, however we have two similar issues for this:

and

I would recommend commenting on the relevant issue with any additional information you can provide.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Pranav Lal

Hi Quentin,

Thanks I have commented on issue

Excel: announce autofilter status when opening · Issue #6429 · nvaccess/nvda (github.com)

Sheesh, its been opened from 2016. This is the sort of challenge one faces with NVDA at work.

Pranav

It's not currently possible, however we have two similar issues for this:

and

I would recommend commenting on the relevant issue with any additional information you can provide.

Quentin.

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 10:40 PM Pranav Lal <pranav@...> wrote:

Hi all,

When I am moving by using the left and right arrows in an Excel worksheet, I
need to know if filters are active and have been applied. This is not
happening. Does NVDA support speaking this?

At work, I use both NVDA and jaws and found this feature of jaws handy.

Pranav

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

It's definitely a frustrating issue, I wouldn't say it's typical that there are problems trying to use NVDA at work.  Personally, I actually use filtering in spreadsheets more personally than at work.

Meanwhile I have a couple of partial workarounds:
- To see whether there is a filter on the current column, press applications key, then e for filter - the first item "Clear filter from (column name)" will be disabled if there is no filter, or available to activate if there is a filter.

- To clear all filters, press alt+h, s, (for search and filter), c (clear).

- To view the filter for the current column is the same as setting it: Move to the header cell, press alt+down arrow to open the options, tab to the "Manual filter tree view", arrow through the options and those which are checked are filtered and those unchecked are hidden.  Of course this works well if you don't have many options to choose from!

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 10:03 AM Pranav Lal <pranav@...> wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for the partial workaround.   Can we increase the priority of this issue?

Pranav