Can't find log files


Ali Colak
 

Hello,
I meant to get the log files for an issue I wanted to report, but I
couldn't even though I went to temp.
windows 11 version21h2 os 22000.918

nvda 2022.2.2


Gene
 

If you are looking for the currently opened log, you can read it in the log viewer.  The command to open it is NVDA key f1.  You can move around as you can in any document and you can select text and copy it to the clipboard just as you would in any document.

When  finished, close the log viewer with escape.  If you want the previous log, someone else will have to tell you how to find and look at it.

Gene

On 9/10/2022 10:51 PM, Ali Colak wrote:
Hello,
I meant to get the log files for an issue I wanted to report, but I
couldn't even though I went to temp.
windows 11 version21h2 os 22000.918

nvda 2022.2.2




Brian's Mail list account
 

Ho about this batch filee? I got fet up and decided to automate it.

make it in notepad
and save it as reboot nvda with log.bat
start below.

@echo off
cd "%temp%"
start /WAIT nvda.exe -q

start notepad.exe nvda.log
rem, this line just kicks its heels for a bit to make sure the log is loaded into notepad before rebooting nvda.
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1>nul
start nvda.exe

finish above.
Brian
exit





--
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2022 4:56 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can't find log files


If you are looking for the currently opened log, you can read it in the log viewer. The command to open it is NVDA key f1. You can move around as you can in any document and you can select text and copy it to the clipboard just as you would in any document.

When finished, close the log viewer with escape. If you want the previous log, someone else will have to tell you how to find and look at it.

Gene

On 9/10/2022 10:51 PM, Ali Colak wrote:
Hello,
I meant to get the log files for an issue I wanted to report, but I
couldn't even though I went to temp.
windows 11 version21h2 os 22000.918

nvda 2022.2.2







 

On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 05:10 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
cd "%temp%"
-
This should be %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp

The nvda logs are not in the system temp directory, at least not typically.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt


Brian's Mail list account
 

Interesting that, Maybe my path statement has got changed at some point. Thanks for that.
Brian

--
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2022 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can't find log files


On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 05:10 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:


cd "%temp%"
-
This should be %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp

The nvda logs are not in the system temp directory, at least not typically.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

~ Irving Babbitt


Cyrille
 

Hello

In a user session, %tmp% is the Temp folder located in the user's AppData\Local folder. So it's correct and shorter.

Cheers,

Cyrille

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 08:50 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Interesting that, Maybe my path statement has got changed at some point.
Thanks for that.
Brian

--
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2022 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can't find log files


On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 05:10 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:


cd "%temp%"
-
This should be %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp

The nvda logs are not in the system temp directory, at least not typically.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . .
for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

~ Irving Babbitt

 


 

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 02:56 AM, Cyrille wrote:
In a user session, %tmp% is the Temp folder located in the user's AppData\Local folder. So it's correct and shorter.
-
You're correct.  But since he had % T E M P % that's a completely different environment variable, and not correct.  That was my point.

Choice of correct directory/folder specification can be anything the user prefers that results in such.  I actually like %TMP% for the user's own Temp folder, but had forgotten about it.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt


 

I'm now retracting several of my prior messages.  I have no idea why, or what it was I did yesterday, but I could have sworn that when I did a "cd %TEMP%" it did not take me to the user's appdata temp directory where the nvda logs are found.

Today, whether I'm using %TMP% or %TEMP% both are going to the user appdata temp directory.  When I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and have no hesitation to admit it.  Being correct about this stuff is important.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt