can't navigate using arrow keys in any edit fields

VI Techability

Hi everyone, I hope you all are doing well. today I am here with a problem. I am using latest version of nvda with windows 11. I am facing totally a strange problem.
whenever i write something on any edit fields or in any other wordprocessing softwares like word and notepad, I can't use arrow keys to navigate through the characters words or anything. i tried to fix this on my own but I am not being able to.  i tried to reset nvda to its factory settings but still the problem can be seen after sometime. Ialso tried turning on  speak command keys using nvda key + 4 when it got turned on nvda announce as hover hover continuously. so is there a way to fix this problem. please help me. i tried swiping on the screen and the problem got fixed for a while but it is not permanent. hoping for your reply thanks

Luke Davis

Have you tried restarting your computer? Could your mouse button be locked?

Russell James

Some of the members in the group have been discussing these symptoms while editing and using arrow keys and not getting any speech output from nvdA

The only work around I have heard of is to change focus to something else and then come back to the edit field and you may restore the arrow key speech output

One example was while editing in word if you experience these symptoms you could hit the ALT key and then hit it again and come back to your edit and it could be restored

I hope this helps

Russ

On Mon, May 2, 2022, 9:05 AM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:
Have you tried restarting your computer?  Could your mouse button be locked?

VI Techability

hi thanks a lot for the suggestion but it didn't work.

VI Techability

hello, yes i restarted my laptop and check if mouse button is locked and it is not locked. i also turned off  mouse tracking and tried but no fix. thanks for your suggestion

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 08:53 AM, VI Techability wrote:
I am using latest version of nvda with windows 11.
-
Please provide:   The actual NVDA version number  (NVDA + N, H, A)
                             The Windows 11 Version and Build Numbers (available using the Winver command from command prompt or just hitting the Windows Key, typing winver, then hitting enter)

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

VI Techability

hi the nvda version is 2021.3.5  and windows version is 21H2 (OS Build 22000.652)

windows 11 home

Hi,

Can you do the following please:

  1. Restart NVDA in debug mode (NVDA+Q, select "restart with debug logging").
  2. Reproduce the issue (say, press arrow keys while focused on any edit field).
  3. Provide the debug log (open NVDA log viewer with NVDA+F1, select all, then copy and paste the selected log text as a private email reply to me).

I will then perform some analysis and provide results to the forum afterwards if I notice something.

Cheers,

Joseph

VI Techability

Hi Joseph I have privately send you the nvda log. please check and let me know if you received it or not. thanks

Hi,

Yes I have received the debug log privately, and it is showing me something I've never seen before... A continuous touchscreen gesture execution as if you are pressing down on the touchscreen. The source of NVDA saying "hover" comes from touch hover gesture which is used when you use your finger to touch the screen continuously.

Context: I myself use a touchscreen device mostly for development purposes (that's why I can understand what's up a bit better). For resident developers, the log is filled with "ts(object):hover", which is the input signature for the touch hover command.

Has NVDA been acting this way from the moment you've installed it? Also, what happens when you restart with add-ons disabled and press arrow keys with speak command keys (NVDA+number row 4) enabled for a moment? If disabling add-ons does make a difference, chances are that it might be an add-on responsible for "holding down the touchscreen". The next step is disabling individual add-ons to find out exactly which add-on is responsible and inform the add-on developer.

Cheers,

Joseph

Tyler Wood

Hi,

I’m actually suffering from this myself. What generally ends up happening is, for instance, attempting to navigate a table of items using NVDA’s focus mode (in the Gmail interface, for instance) will have NVDA reading me random links from the page and not the page itself. Similarly, attempting to navigate by character or word in an edit field while focus mode is enabled will result in blanks being read. I’ve tried multiple web browsers, multiple versions of NVDA – nothing is seeming to work and I’m at a loss of what to try next. I thought it was a fluke on this machine but it’s nice to know I’m not the only one.

Thank you