can't navigate using arrow keys in any edit fields

VI Techability

Hi everyone, I hope you all are doing well. today I am here with a problem. I am using latest version of nvda with windows 11. I am facing totally a strange problem.
whenever i write something on any edit fields or in any other wordprocessing softwares like word and notepad, I can't use arrow keys to navigate through the characters words or anything. i tried to fix this on my own but I am not being able to.  i tried to reset nvda to its factory settings but still the problem can be seen after sometime. Ialso tried turning on  speak command keys using nvda key + 4 when it got turned on nvda announce as hover hover continuously. so is there a way to fix this problem. please help me. i tried swiping on the screen and the problem got fixed for a while but it is not permanent. hoping for your reply thanks

Luke Davis

Have you tried restarting your computer? Could your mouse button be locked?

Russell James

Some of the members in the group have been discussing these symptoms while editing and using arrow keys and not getting any speech output from nvdA

The only work around I have heard of is to change focus to something else and then come back to the edit field and you may restore the arrow key speech output

One example was while editing in word if you experience these symptoms you could hit the ALT key and then hit it again and come back to your edit and it could be restored

I hope this helps

Russ

On Mon, May 2, 2022, 9:05 AM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:
Have you tried restarting your computer?  Could your mouse button be locked?

VI Techability

hi thanks a lot for the suggestion but it didn't work.

VI Techability

hello, yes i restarted my laptop and check if mouse button is locked and it is not locked. i also turned off  mouse tracking and tried but no fix. thanks for your suggestion 

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 08:53 AM, VI Techability wrote:
I am using latest version of nvda with windows 11.
-
Please provide:   The actual NVDA version number  (NVDA + N, H, A)
                             The Windows 11 Version and Build Numbers (available using the Winver command from command prompt or just hitting the Windows Key, typing winver, then hitting enter)
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

VI Techability

hi the nvda version is 2021.3.5  and windows version is 21H2 (OS Build 22000.652) 

windows 11 home

Hi,

Can you do the following please:

1. Restart NVDA in debug mode (NVDA+Q, select "restart with debug logging").
  2. Reproduce the issue (say, press arrow keys while focused on any edit field).
  3. Provide the debug log (open NVDA log viewer with NVDA+F1, select all, then copy and paste the selected log text as a private email reply to me).

I will then perform some analysis and provide results to the forum afterwards if I notice something.

Cheers,

Joseph

VI Techability

Hi Joseph I have privately send you the nvda log. please check and let me know if you received it or not. thanks

Hi,

Yes I have received the debug log privately, and it is showing me something I've never seen before... A continuous touchscreen gesture execution as if you are pressing down on the touchscreen. The source of NVDA saying "hover" comes from touch hover gesture which is used when you use your finger to touch the screen continuously.

Context: I myself use a touchscreen device mostly for development purposes (that's why I can understand what's up a bit better). For resident developers, the log is filled with "ts(object):hover", which is the input signature for the touch hover command.

Has NVDA been acting this way from the moment you've installed it? Also, what happens when you restart with add-ons disabled and press arrow keys with speak command keys (NVDA+number row 4) enabled for a moment? If disabling add-ons does make a difference, chances are that it might be an add-on responsible for "holding down the touchscreen". The next step is disabling individual add-ons to find out exactly which add-on is responsible and inform the add-on developer.

Cheers,

Joseph

Tyler Wood

Hi,

I’m actually suffering from this myself. What generally ends up happening is, for instance, attempting to navigate a table of items using NVDA’s focus mode (in the Gmail interface, for instance) will have NVDA reading me random links from the page and not the page itself. Similarly, attempting to navigate by character or word in an edit field while focus mode is enabled will result in blanks being read. I’ve tried multiple web browsers, multiple versions of NVDA – nothing is seeming to work and I’m at a loss of what to try next. I thought it was a fluke on this machine but it’s nice to know I’m not the only one.

Thank you

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of VI Techability
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2022 12:53 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] can't navigate using arrow keys in any edit fields

Hi Joseph I have privately send you the nvda log. please check and let me know if you received it or not. thanks

Russell James

Greetings,

I can't be sure it is the same, however, there have been other conversations on this subject.

In my cases it has been while editing in GMail and Linked-In message compose boxes.

It doesn't happen every time and I have not been able to identify the trigger.
In fact it just happened while editing this message...

When it stopped speaking from the arrow keys
I pressed alt twice and it started to work again
That tip was shared in previous conversations on this subject

I have seen this with multiple versions of NVDA,  and I have not tried the new RC yet...

I do not use any NVDA add ons

I always use Firefox and Firefox Nightly and have seen it with both on multiple versions.

I do not have a touch screen on the computers I have observed the problem
I don't think I hear hover being spoken by NVDA

When I use the trackball/mouse and hover over the same text NVDA can still read it even when the arrow keys do not...

I have experienced this with MS Word but not as often as GMail but that could be due to the time spent using GMail.

I hope this helps

Russ

On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 1:35 PM Tyler Wood <tcwood12@...> wrote:

Hi,

I’m actually suffering from this myself. What generally ends up happening is, for instance, attempting to navigate a table of items using NVDA’s focus mode (in the Gmail interface, for instance) will have NVDA reading me random links from the page and not the page itself. Similarly, attempting to navigate by character or word in an edit field while focus mode is enabled will result in blanks being read. I’ve tried multiple web browsers, multiple versions of NVDA – nothing is seeming to work and I’m at a loss of what to try next. I thought it was a fluke on this machine but it’s nice to know I’m not the only one.

Thank you

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of VI Techability
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2022 12:53 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] can't navigate using arrow keys in any edit fields

Hi all,

The keyboard navigation and announcement issues described is not the same as NVDA saying "hover" when you use arrow keys as described by the original poster. Here's a short sample of the situation I have seen with the log which describes what the original poster is talking about (removed timestamp and the text is formatted differently):

1. Output: hover, hover, hover, hover
  2. Input: right arrow
  3. Output: some character, hover, hover, hover
  4. Input: NVDA+number row 4
  5. Output: hover, hover, speak command keys on, hover, hover, hover
  6. Input: left arrow
  7. Output: hover, left arrow, some character, hover, hover, hover

The actual "hover" announcement cycle is:

1. Input: something holds down the touchscreen
  2. NVDA: sees it as a touchscreen gesture
  3. NVDA sees that this is a hover gesture and thinks the user is moving around the touchscreen with one finger without removing the finger
  4. NVDA says "hover"
  5. Cycle repeats at least once
  6. A different command is performed, say pressing arrow keys
  7. NVDA attempts to process the just pressed arrow keys while being bombarded with touchscreen gesture and announcing "hover" as a result
  8. After processing arrow keys, NVDA still notices soething is holding down the touchscreen, registering it as a hover gesture
  9. This cycle repeats until NVDA exits

To anyone experiencing what they believe is NVDA saying extraneous things when you press arrow keys, I need a log from you privately; but this time, please send the log to both I and NV Access (CC info@...) in case NV Access folks may have something to say while I'm taking a vacation for the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Michael Hunsaker

I think the built in navigation tools for sites like Gmail, linked in, Office365 are trying to get in the way. I usually hit F7 (no other modifiers or command keys) to turn off caret browsing and this usually helps. If not, I jump in and out of scan mode and it fixes it. 

Michael Ryan Hunsaker, M.Ed., Ph.D. (he/him)
NLS-LOC Certified UEB Transcriber
Teacher for Students with Visual Impairments
Davis School District
 CONTACT
I will reply to communication between the hours of 7:15-15:00pm MST

Voice/Text
Office +1 (801) 402-5955
Google Voice +1 (385) 645-7021
(text message or call and leave a voicemail, and I will return your call ASAP)
Email ryhunsaker@...
 Mailing Addresses
(Primary)
Davis High School
325 South Main St
Kaysville, UT 84037

(Secondary)
Fairfield Jr. High
951 Fairfield Rd
Kaysville, UT 84037

——————————————————————————
FERPA/HIPPA CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT
Please keep in mind that communications via email over the internet are not secure. Although it is unlikely, there is a possibility that information you include in an email can be intercepted and read by other parties besides the person to whom it is addressed.
The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

<ryhunsaker.vcf>