can't read items in folder

Don H

Running latest releases of Win 10 and NVDA.
On a random basis I can open a folder such as my documents or downloads and it appears on the screen to be normal. However I can not read the files and folders by either using first letter or up and down arrows. I try closing the folder and open it again with same results. So far the only way I have found to solve the problem is to close and restart NVDA.On some instances I have to close and restart NVDA more than once to resolve the problem. Is there a better way to handle this problem when it happens?
Thanks

Russell James

I have had similar experiences with things like the Windows Update window
Usually when it first opens it says the last time it was updated
However, it is not accessible to the mouse or arrow keys
Then if I use the tab key it seems to put it into focus and the window becomes accessible

I have also had to get used to something similar while editing email messages.
However, I don't know what triggers the problem...
Sometimes it is like the message edit box goes out of focus
Then the arrow keys stop speaking the text being edited
If I force the focus to somewhere else like the subject field and come back to the edit box it works  properly again

I have only been having these problems in more recent versions of NVDA.
This probably started about a year or so ago...

Russ

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 6:25 PM Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
Running latest releases of Win 10 and NVDA.
On a random basis I can open a folder such as my documents or downloads
and it appears on the screen to be normal.  However I can not read the
files and folders by either using first letter or up and down arrows.  I
try closing the folder and open it again with same results.  So far the
only way I have found to solve the problem is to close and restart
NVDA.On some instances I have to close and restart NVDA more than once
to resolve the problem.  Is there a better way to handle this problem
when it happens?
Thanks

Ravindran V.S.

Agree.

The Windows update settings window is some what bothering with the latest versions. I am afraid whether this has been caused by NVDA or the Windows itself.

The recent update window does not leave the NVDA focus stable, the list of updates keeps moving away from the focus automatically.

Some times it is difficult to see the list of update items and their progress level cannot be read with NVDA.

The focus moves to the Pause button instead of the list.

So Tab and Shift+Tab several times would help to some what find the required details.

It would be more helpful if we can have a standard way with NVDA in these windows.

Thanks,

Ravi.

V.S.Ravindran.

Excuses leads to failure!””

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

I don't think this is new. I've seen the files not being read and reading update history going back to Win 7. As for whether its more likely with newer nvda versions, well maybe it has been. Alt tab and alt tab back sometimes works, but at other times you seem to get into views that say a B C etcc. I have a sneaking suspicion it may be certain choices of details or how files are displayed that makes it worse though. It needs somebody with patience to work logically though only alting one thing at a time to solve these sort of problems.
There is also an allied issue where alt tab if alte it is held down and multiple programs are running you suddenly find you can only get to 2 of the running programs, and have to click on the program itself to start things working again.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 6:25 PM Don H <lmddh50@... <mailto:lmddh50@...> > wrote:

Running latest releases of Win 10 and NVDA.
On a random basis I can open a folder such as my documents or downloads
and it appears on the screen to be normal. However I can not read the
files and folders by either using first letter or up and down arrows. I
try closing the folder and open it again with same results. So far the
only way I have found to solve the problem is to close and restart
NVDA.On some instances I have to close and restart NVDA more than once
to resolve the problem. Is there a better way to handle this problem
when it happens?
Thanks

Hi,

Windows Update screen: caused by UIA events, more so when the screen updates things. This is more pronounced on Windows 11 21H2 (original release; I know, this will get complicated for a whiel), resolved in upcoming Windows 11 22H2 (for this reason, I stronlgy recommend anyone running Windows 10 and 11 to tell us exactlu which release they are using so people will not get confused).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 11:56 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
This is more pronounced on Windows 11 21H2 (original release; I know, this will get complicated for a whiel), resolved in upcoming Windows 11 22H2 (for this reason, I stronlgy recommend anyone running Windows 10 and 11 to tell us exactly which release they are using so people will not get confused).
-
And I thank you for pointing out, and very clearly, that there are times when something is Windows-based, and under which specific Windows versions those issues occur.

This also points out why, in the age of Windows As A Service, that keeping up-to-date is important.  Things identified as issues do get fixed, but that fix comes in the form of an update, very often a Feature Update.

I really would encourage those interested in having the information about Windows (and/or NVDA and/or anything else they think pertinent) as a part of every message they post to Groups.io to look into the Signature feature on your personal Groups.io Subscription page.  You can choose to have that signature attached when posting from the web, posting using email, or both.  I've been including my Windows information for years now after my name in my signature, so that exact version and build information is available when it's needed.  I don't do the same for NVDA because the versions change more frequently and 6-8 characters is not terribly difficult to type when that information needs to be shared.

         ~ Vance Packard

Don H

When I posted the original question I indicated that I was running the
latest released version of Win 10 and NVDA. I was not talking about the
Windows update screen but not being able to work through the entries in
such folders as the documents and download folders. It appears that
this is a NvDA issue as closing and restarting NVDA seems to resolve the
issue but I could be wrong about that.

On 8/14/2022 11:10 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

*/The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his
ability to express powerful meanings indirectly./*

~ Vance Packard

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 12:38 PM, Don H wrote:
When I posted the original question I indicated that I was running the
latest released version of Win 10 and NVDA. I was not talking about the
Windows update screen but not being able to work through the entries in
such folders as the documents and download folders.
-
Yes, but several someones have introduced what they believe to be related issues.  It's perfectly OK for anyone to respond regarding those issues when they know something about them, but not necessarily the one you originally identified.

But you also need to realize that yours is the very first report of this particular issue that I can recall on the NVDA Group.  That really does suggest that this issue is limited, if not strictly to you then to a very small subset of NVDA users.

Whenever any suspected NVDA-related issue is encountered, the first thing to do is:  The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues

If the issue seems possibly related to Windows (and this one is clearly in that class) it never hurts, after having tried those basic troubleshooting steps, to do the following:

1. Using DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) and SFC (System File Checker) to Repair Windows 8.1, 10 & 11

2. Performing a Windows 10 or 11 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows ISO file

If #1 fixes the issue, #2 is unnecessary.

All of these steps are part of the process of elimination and step-by-step diagnostics in order to rule-in or rule-out possible factors.

         ~ Vance Packard

Gene

What happens if you open the menu with alt f, when you are in the files list, that is hold alt and press f, then press escape.  twice to close it.  Can you read the information then?  If so, that would be faster and easier than closing and running NVDA again.

Gene

On 8/14/2022 11:38 AM, Don H wrote:

[...]

.

Sarah k Alawami

I don’t have the windows update issue, but I have seen the folder issue. I pin nvda to my task bar at position 1 this way I can just hit windows 1 and it restarts. I am also not sure what causes the problem to occur in the first place.

[...]

IN my case I’m running Windows 11 21H2 (x64) build 22000.832, so it looks like I’ve been lucky re the windows update problem. As for the folder issue, there are work around, see prior post from me.

Windows Update screen: caused by UIA events, more so when the screen updates things. This is more pronounced on Windows 11 21H2 (original release; I know, this will get complicated for a whiel), resolved in upcoming Windows 11 22H2 (for this reason, I stronlgy recommend anyone running Windows 10 and 11 to tell us exactlu which release they are using so people will not get confused).

Cheers,

Joseph

Dave Grossoehme

This is a problem with the Windows UAI, not with NVDA.  You can find more about this problem from the nvda@nvda.groups.io, which is an email list for NVDA.

Dave

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 02:04 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:
You can find more about this problem from the nvda@nvda.groups.io, which is an email list for NVDA.
-
You do realize you posted this to the very group you make reference to, don't you?

If there's a specific topic or topics you have in mind, please offer either the links or the titles.

         ~ Vance Packard

Ravindran V.S.

Hi Joseph,

Sorry for the late response. Could not attend to Emails due to other commitments.

I use NVDA 2022.2 and Windows version as below:

Edition  Windows 10 Pro

Version 21H2

OS build               19044.1865

Experience         Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

64 Bit

V.S.Ravindran.

Excuses leads to failure!””

Windows Update screen: caused by UIA events, more so when the screen updates things. This is more pronounced on Windows 11 21H2 (original release; I know, this will get complicated for a whiel), resolved in upcoming Windows 11 22H2 (for this reason, I stronlgy recommend anyone running Windows 10 and 11 to tell us exactlu which release they are using so people will not get confused).

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian's Mail list account

I agree, but always do a back up before either of these, as further down the line if DLLs were modified, or anything changed in the registry, then I have had other software then not work correctly after that. You then repair or reinstall said software, only to discover your old problem has come back.Then you have a problem. grin.

Whenever any suspected NVDA-related issue is encountered, the first thing to do is: The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues ( https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/81494 )

1. Using DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) and SFC (System File Checker) to Repair Windows 8.1, 10 & 11 ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnOc2l4M0Y1V3pkcGM )

2. Performing a Windows 10 or 11 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows ISO file ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1RZiHlLVtXewYBgoSvJNm9_08hj1tALPK )

If #1 fixes the issue, #2 is unnecessary.

All of these steps are part of the process of elimination and step-by-step diagnostics in order to rule-in or rule-out possible factors.

*The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.*

~ Vance Packard

Dave Grossoehme

Using win11 21h2 22.856 the Windows Store when updating manually you need to tab once if you want to hear the status of the percentage of an update after it starts downloading.  This has been noticed from time to time, but noticed 100% on this version.

Dave

On 8/14/2022 11:56 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Windows Update screen: caused by UIA events, more so when the screen updates things. This is more pronounced on Windows 11 21H2 (original release; I know, this will get complicated for a whiel), resolved in upcoming Windows 11 22H2 (for this reason, I stronlgy recommend anyone running Windows 10 and 11 to tell us exactlu which release they are using so people will not get confused).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sarah k Alawami

I don’t have that issue, my percentages read as far as I know.  I have had the folder issue from time to time, however it seems like one of these pesky random ish things.  I also do not lose focus in the store as far as I’m aware. I don’t pay attention to that as I often close the store as soon as  I click “update all.”

Using win11 21h2 22.856 the Windows Store when updating manually you need to tab once if you want to hear the status of the percentage of an update after it starts downloading.  This has been noticed from time to time, but noticed 100% on this version.

Dave

On 8/14/2022 11:56 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Windows Update screen: caused by UIA events, more so when the screen updates things. This is more pronounced on Windows 11 21H2 (original release; I know, this will get complicated for a whiel), resolved in upcoming Windows 11 22H2 (for this reason, I stronlgy recommend anyone running Windows 10 and 11 to tell us exactlu which release they are using so people will not get confused).

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

The original issue: looks like a UIA focus event problem when opening File Explorer.

Regarding Windows Store and update download anouncement: this is not necessarily a thing with a specific Windows 11 release as Store can update itself from time to time (therefore I think this is more towards something going on with latest stabel version of Windows Store app itself). I'll write about this one soon.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sarah k Alawami

Can the UI issue be fixed with nvda, or is that up to Microsoft to be fixed?

The original issue: looks like a UIA focus event problem when opening File Explorer.

Regarding Windows Store and update download anouncement: this is not necessarily a thing with a specific Windows 11 release as Store can update itself from time to time (therefore I think this is more towards something going on with latest stabel version of Windows Store app itself). I'll write about this one soon.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Good question. I'd be curious to know if upcoming Windows 11 Version 22H2 resolves this as I know that Microsoft engineers, screen reader developers, and third-party engineers have worked together on some issues (mostly screen reader developers informing Microsoft about specific issues, with Microsoft engineers writing fixes and releasing them as part of Windows Insider Preview builds). This will take a thread to explain as I may need to dig into communication between NVDA contributors, Windows Terminal developers, and other engineers.

Cheers,

Joseph