can you disable the announcement of "in figure" o"out of figure"?


Mary Otten
 

I've been through the settings for document formatting and managed to get rid of some of the annoying announcements like in and out of article, list etc. But there does not seem to be a way to kill off the announcement of in and out of figure. Am I missing it, or is it really not available?


Mary


Gene
 

No.  You may be able to stop it with the speech dictionary.  It should be controllable by the user but it isn't.


Gene

On 1/24/2022 7:28 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
I've been through the settings for document formatting and managed to get rid of some of the annoying announcements like in and out of article, list etc. But there does not seem to be a way to kill off the announcement of in and out of figure. Am I missing it, or is it really not available?


Mary






Mary Otten
 

Thanks, Gene. Maybe this will make it in to a future version. All this unnecessary announcing of stuff that you don't need when you are just reading an article is a drag.


Mary

On 1/24/2022 5:43 PM, Gene wrote:
No.  You may be able to stop it with the speech dictionary.  It should be controllable by the user but it isn't.


Gene
On 1/24/2022 7:28 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
I've been through the settings for document formatting and managed to get rid of some of the annoying announcements like in and out of article, list etc. But there does not seem to be a way to kill off the announcement of in and out of figure. Am I missing it, or is it really not available?


Mary









Gene
 

I may open an issue on Github but there may be no point if people don't go to the page and comment in support.  I've opened six issues and none have been implemented or impllemented in a modified form.  If I open an issue, I'll send a link to it to the group.

.

Gene

On 1/24/2022 8:03 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
Thanks, Gene. Maybe this will make it in to a future version. All this unnecessary announcing of stuff that you don't need when you are just reading an article is a drag.


Mary


On 1/24/2022 5:43 PM, Gene wrote:
No.  You may be able to stop it with the speech dictionary.  It should be controllable by the user but it isn't.


Gene
On 1/24/2022 7:28 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
I've been through the settings for document formatting and managed to get rid of some of the annoying announcements like in and out of article, list etc. But there does not seem to be a way to kill off the announcement of in and out of figure. Am I missing it, or is it really not available?


Mary












Mary Otten
 

I have to admit I've found that hub process intimidating,. But if you post a link, and all I have to do is go there and find the appropriate place to comment, I will do so.


Mary

On 1/24/2022 7:53 PM, Gene wrote:
I may open an issue on Github but there may be no point if people don't go to the page and comment in support.  I've opened six issues and none have been implemented or impllemented in a modified form.  If I open an issue, I'll send a link to it to the group.

.

Gene

On 1/24/2022 8:03 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
Thanks, Gene. Maybe this will make it in to a future version. All this unnecessary announcing of stuff that you don't need when you are just reading an article is a drag.


Mary


On 1/24/2022 5:43 PM, Gene wrote:
No.  You may be able to stop it with the speech dictionary.  It should be controllable by the user but it isn't.


Gene
On 1/24/2022 7:28 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
I've been through the settings for document formatting and managed to get rid of some of the annoying announcements like in and out of article, list etc. But there does not seem to be a way to kill off the announcement of in and out of figure. Am I missing it, or is it really not available?


Mary















Jonathan COHN
 

I have been thinking about figures. Often when coded correctly, a screen reader will speak fairly much the same information 3 to 4 times on a figure.
1. When the figure is encountered the figcaption might be a label for the figure so will be spoken when visiting the figure.
2. The omg will have an alt tag on New York Times and Washington Post I have noticed that the alt text of the image is nearly identical to the figcaption.
3. The figcaption is the visible text below the picture and descries the picture for the sighted.
Maybe 4. Then the end of the figure is encountered. I’m not sure if NVDA and JAWS will also read the label at this point.

Some possible improvements:
1. Ignore alt text in images if they are in a figure that is labeled with the same content as the figcaption.
2. Don’t read the figure label when the start/end tags are read if the label of the figure is the figcaption.
3. If there are options to not read start/end tags for articles and regions then allow figures to be treated the same way. (This might even mean a different behavior for Red all vs navigating through.)

Jonathan

On Jan 24, 2022, at 8:43 PM, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

No. You may be able to stop it with the speech dictionary. It should be controllable by the user but it isn't.


Gene
On 1/24/2022 7:28 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
I've been through the settings for document formatting and managed to get rid of some of the annoying announcements like in and out of article, list etc. But there does not seem to be a way to kill off the announcement of in and out of figure. Am I missing it, or is it really not available?


Mary









Gene
 

I don't think a screen-reader should decide what to read and what to skip.  what I object to is the announcement figure and out of figure with no way for the user to turn it off.  I also don't think this should be spoken as default behavior.


Gene

On 1/26/2022 9:52 AM, Jonathan COHN via groups.io wrote:
I have been thinking about figures. Often when coded correctly, a screen reader will speak fairly much the same information 3 to 4 times on a figure.
1. When the figure is encountered the figcaption might be a label for the figure so will be spoken when visiting the figure.
2. The omg will have an alt tag on New York Times and Washington Post I have noticed that the alt text of the image is nearly identical to the figcaption.
3. The figcaption is the visible text below the picture and descries the picture for the sighted.
Maybe 4. Then the end of the figure is encountered. I’m not sure if NVDA and JAWS will also read the label at this point.

Some possible improvements:
1. Ignore alt text in images if they are in a figure that is labeled with the same content as the figcaption.
2. Don’t read the figure label when the start/end tags are read if the label of the figure is the figcaption.
3. If there are options to not read start/end tags for articles and regions then allow figures to be treated the same way. (This might even mean a different behavior for Red all vs navigating through.)

Jonathan


On Jan 24, 2022, at 8:43 PM, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

No. You may be able to stop it with the speech dictionary. It should be controllable by the user but it isn't.


Gene
On 1/24/2022 7:28 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
I've been through the settings for document formatting and managed to get rid of some of the annoying announcements like in and out of article, list etc. But there does not seem to be a way to kill off the announcement of in and out of figure. Am I missing it, or is it really not available?


Mary