cannot check boxes.

Monte Single

Hi List,

I am using nvda 2020.4 in win10 20h2  with current chrome.

Recently, my  credit union  made some changes to the online banking experience.

I would show you the problem web page,  but that is impossible due to security.

For the last several years, I could do all my banking on line, especially ;

---reviewing transactions,

---transfers,

---bill payments, etc..

web pages with the transactions, bill payments etc.    had tables dis

I could navigate these tables  with the tab key  or alt left and right arrows to move through rows.

I could move from row to row tith control+alt+up or down arrows to move up and down thrught the rows. Showed the date, payee, account, date, amount.

Also, I could use the space bard, to check a box at the beginning of a row to select a payee.

The space bar no longer selects anything.

I cannot move up and down with control+alt+up and down arrows any more.

I tried switching modes with the spacebar+nvda key,  this di not help.

Suggestions?

Cheers,

MonteThe

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 04:16 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Recently, my  credit union  made some changes to the online banking experience.
-
Contact customer service and report this.  If you haven't changed NVDA, or Windows, and this is now occurring immediately after those changes then suspect the changes.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Monte Single

Hi, Brian,

Oh yes,  I had a lengthy session with customer service  with no joy and requested that the problem be forwarded to my branch manager and the IT person.

Thought  someone on the list might have some kind of keystroke combo  suggestion.

Still dancing in the dark,

Monte

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 04:16 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Recently, my  credit union  made some changes to the online banking experience.

-
Contact customer service and report this.  If you haven't changed NVDA, or Windows, and this is now occurring immediately after those changes then suspect the changes.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Monte,

While I know that, in this circumstance, you cannot possibly give a URL, it would be helpful to identify the specific bank (or banking system, if it's a bank such as Wells Fargo).  The only folks who might have ideas are those who've stumbled upon to an alternative access method on the same system.

There are times, and this is one of them, where "solution in the abstract" is very, very unlikely to happen.  You probably have some fellow travelers, and even if in the end all you all can do is to gang up on the financial institution with one voice, the more screaming the more likely something is to be done.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Jackie

Monte, I'm not sure why, but there are times when the traditional
keystrokes don't work. Sometimes, I have to move to focus, ie.
(NVDA+numpadMinus for desktop, NVDA+backspace for laptop) then do a
left mouse click.

Having thus said, be certain the checkbox isn't checked by just using
regular spacebar. Sometimes it is, but it's not reported by NVDA.
Again, these keys can help.

I definitely urge you to contact your credit union's highest echelons
to discuss your accessibility concerns, as they are supposedly legally
bound to provide accessible services, but we all know how that goes.

On 7/4/21, Monte Single <mrsingle@sasktel.net> wrote:
Hi, Brian,

Oh yes, I had a lengthy session with customer service with no joy and
requested that the problem be forwarded to my branch manager and the IT
person.

Thought someone on the list might have some kind of keystroke combo
suggestion.

Still dancing in the dark,

Monte

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 04:16 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Recently, my credit union made some changes to the online banking
experience.

-
Contact customer service and report this. If you haven't changed NVDA, or
Windows, and this is now occurring immediately after those changes then
suspect the changes.

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.
The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression,
which are contained in and actuated by the body. What you do and say is the
clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

Jackie

O yeah--& sometimes I have to do a move mouse to navigator object, &
then a left mouse click.

On 7/4/21, Jackie McBride <abletec@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

You could try another browser.  I doubt that will solve the problem but there’s no harm trying.

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 04:16 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Recently, my  credit union  made some changes to the online banking experience.

-
Contact customer service and report this.  If you haven't changed NVDA, or Windows, and this is now occurring immediately after those changes then suspect the changes.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

That may work.  Unfortunately, I find many web pages where the mouse doesn’t move to your position.  That is, the screen-reader’s virtual mouse.  I haven’t tried, but I wonder if a physical mouse can be used in such cases.  I haven’t run across a web site with anything so important to me to do that I’ve bought a mouse and experimented with it.  I may one of these days.

But those who know about how NVDA and probably other screen-readers work technically may, I hope, be able to explain why, so often, the move mouse command doesn’t work on web pages.

On 7/4/21, Jackie McBride <abletec@...> wrote:
> Monte, I'm not sure why, but there are times when the traditional
> keystrokes don't work. Sometimes, I have to move to focus, ie.
> (NVDA+numpadMinus for desktop, NVDA+backspace for laptop) then do a
> left mouse click.
>
> Having thus said, be certain the checkbox isn't checked by just using
> regular spacebar. Sometimes it is, but it's not reported by NVDA.
> Again, these keys can help.
>
> I definitely urge you to contact your credit union's highest echelons
> to discuss your accessibility concerns, as they are supposedly legally
> bound to provide accessible services, but we all know how that goes.
>
> On 7/4/21, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:
>> Hi, Brian,
>>
>> Oh yes,  I had a lengthy session with customer service  with no joy and
>> requested that the problem be forwarded to my branch manager and the IT
>> person.
>>

>> Thought  someone on the list might have some kind of keystroke combo
>> suggestion.
>>

>> Still dancing in the dark,
>>

>> Monte

Arlene

Yeah, try another browser, or if you have another screen reader try it. Or continue to use NVDA if you don’t have any other. If it doesn’t work using another browser or another screen reader. Then call your bank.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

You could try another browser.  I doubt that will solve the problem but there’s no harm trying.

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 04:16 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Recently, my  credit union  made some changes to the online banking experience.

-
Contact customer service and report this.  If you haven't changed NVDA, or Windows, and this is now occurring immediately after those changes then suspect the changes.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

Even if it does, it would be a good idea to complain to the bank.  Accessibility means that a web site is accessible to any standard screen-reader.  If it works with one browser and/or screen-reader and not with another combination of well recognized standard programs, it isn’t accessible, its usable under certain conditions which isn’t the same thing..

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 05:18 PM, Jackie wrote:
a move mouse to navigator object, & then a left mouse click.
-
Just curious if you mean a literal left mouse click or a screen-reader emulated left mouse click?

The reason I ask is a way of addressing Gene's questions, but indirectly.  It has been my observation, regardless of the screen reader involved, that emulated mouse clicks are not anywhere near to reliable.

I can't count the number of times over the years where a route mouse to navigator object has been issued, focus has changed (I most often have some sort of focus highlight on if I'm working with a screen reader, even when with a client, because movement in the virtual cursor very often "does not track" with where I'd expect to be next gaining focus), but the emulated click does nothing.  Most often a literal left click from the mousepad or mouse itself will.  This is the main reason I keep saying that there is very good reason to either mask the thumbpad that lets you move the mouse on a laptop, or tape over the tracking laser on an optical mouse, so that you have access to a real left and right click.  It sometimes makes the difference between success and failure in activating certain controls.  And, no, I have yet to decipher any sort of pattern that would indicate which will or won't work with a screen reader emulated mouse click.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Jackie

I usually try the screen reader simulated click first, &, if no
workie, I reach over & do a physical left click. I too have not found
any patterns about what works when.

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 06:21 PM, Gene wrote:
If it works with one browser and/or screen-reader and not with another combination of well recognized standard programs, it isn’t accessible, its usable under certain conditions which isn’t the same thing..
-
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.  While I agree it can be annoying to find one's favorite browser does not "play well" with a given site, or that one's favorite screen reader does not, that does not mean a site is inaccessible.

Issues with interactions, which are hopefully (and, in actuality, in my experience are) rare, between a specific screen reader and a specific browser with a specific website are simply something that happens.  That's why everyone, including the sighted, needs to be willing and able to try a different browser with specific sites.  I have to do this all the time since Brave, with it's stringent privacy focus, does not play well with certain websites (including, but not limited to, the New York Times).

Occasional interaction issues are a fact of life and, because they are, you need to be ready to try other screen readers and browsers when necessary.

I'd still report the issue, that's for sure, but very often what you're going to hear, whether sighted or blind, is to try it with another browser.  I got precisely that response from the New York Times with regard to a recent trouble ticket I filed.  And since it works with the browser they recommended, plus several others, it would be unreasonable of me to believe they should feel any pressing need to make changes so that my preferred browser works.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Monte Single

The problem started right after the bank sent email to all customers praising its new and improved browsing experience.

It is definitely something on their wbsite that has changed.e

[...]

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 06:45 PM, Monte Single wrote:
It is definitely something on their website that has changed.
-
Which has been what I believed to be the root cause from the outset.  The "improved" version very simply isn't.  To me, even as a sighted individual, a major regression that breaks accessibility is something that should not have made it out and "into the wild."  Someone's testing protocol is lacking.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

I’m discussing times when I want to move the mouse to the place I want to click.  With mouse tracking on, the default NVDA setting, I hear nothing announced when I move the virtual mouse, using numpad insert numpad slash. That indicates that the mouse didn’t move.  Also, a left click either does nothing or moves focus outside of the browser window indicating that the mouse isn’t even in it.

I see this on a lot of web pages.  I haven’t used JAWS for years but my recollection is that the same problem exists there.

If I am drawing the right conclusion from my experience and your comments, it would seem that a physical mouse may allow me to move to where I want, though I wonder how cumbersome that would be.

Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2021 5:22 PM

[...]

Brave is a special case and I have found occasions when something doesn’t work because of Brave security settings.  But that isn’t an accessibility issue.  That is a Brave issue. It may be a necessary inconvenience because of what Brave does.

The definition of accessibility states ways in which sites should function, for example, there is a statement something like that controls should work from the keyboard.  If Chrome-based browsers don’t work properly on a site, that is a whole class of browsers.  I understand the reality of needing to use different browsers and/or screen-readers on some sites, and I’m not saying every site that has this or that problem should be reported or made a major issue of.  But the definition of accessible is not stated in such a way that a site that works with Firefox and not with chrome-based browsers would be considered accessible.

Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2021 5:31 PM

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 07:24 PM, Gene wrote:
But the definition of accessible is not stated in such a way that a site that works with Firefox and not with chrome-based browsers would be considered accessible.
-
But the reality is that some sites do, or do not, play well with a given class of browser.  And just because they don't play well with one does not make them inaccessible in any meaningful way.

I don't give a damn about what the abstract definition of accessible might be.  I understand that in real life even software that has been developed with virtually any accessibility standard you can think of in mind will rarely hit a snag under specific circumstances, and those are, while not exactly common, not uncommon in regard to websites and web browsers.

This isn't about the semantics of accessibility on my side, but practical considerations based on real world experiences.  The definition of accessibility seems to be what you've been and continue to be focused on.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

I’m not disagreeing that people need to know how to use more than one browser and screen-reader for such situations.  It isn’t difficult to know other browsers or screen-readers to the extent necessary for that purpose.

I’m saying that, in a case like this, where a major site is not usable by a widely used screen-reader and browser or class of browsers, that site is not accessible.  I’m not talking about some minor function, I’m talking about not usable for one or more major functions.
If you have a different definition of accessible than the recognized one, that’s a different question.  but if Amazon argued that its site is accessible because it works with Firefox and JAWS even if it doesn’t work with NVDA and Chrome-based browsers that isn’t accessibility.  It can be used but it isn’t properly accessible.

Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2021 6:40 PM

[...]

The problem is that sometimes employers don't allow installation of
anything but their permitted apps, & if that combination doesn't work,
then the person involved is screwed, to use the polite & edited
version.

A lot of web developers seem to be going to these graphical
checkboxes--they look in every way like checkboxes to the sighted
person, but not at all like them to a screen reader. That applies to
radio buttons as well.

It seems like that, in Chrome browsers, when image descriptions are
turned on, the browser tries to get an image description when the box
is checked, because it thinks it sees a graphic, whereas it just says
nothing when it isn't. I havent tested this out enough yet to be
entirely sure of this, but I'll be working on it more throughout the
coming days, as I'm facing these a lot.