I don't think I'm running the latest version, but the problem you mention still exists.
This is aby fine reader 12.2 or something like that

Sent from my iPhone

On May 8, 2016, at 12:14 PM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:

Hi I thought the latest version of fine reader had a text screen which did not work with nvda any more?
Has this been fixed? Its reasonably priced, though its used in Dolphin's Cicero, and when it encounters the lower case l in printing it can be seen as i or 1 or l.
I am a bit fed up with Della being Delia and New malden being New Maiden.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Afrim" <afrim.maja@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2016 6:09 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Cannot read PDF documents with NVDA

I always convert my pdf books to microsoft word using aby fine reader which I also use to scan documents. I'll try that program out by the way.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 8, 2016, at 6:36 AM, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:

Oxillion Document

Kevin Huber

Hi Afrim:
Sometimes a PDF document is a picture of the text rather than the text
itself, so you will have to do OCR on it to make it read.
You can try the OCR ad-on, or if you have Kurzweil 1000, you can open
the document in Kurzweil 1000 and it will give you a text
representation of the document.
Kevin Huber

On 5/7/16, Afrim <afrim.maja@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have seriously started using NVDA, and this time is more serious than
other times, because I have upgraded to windows 10, and it works very well,
and I do mean very very well. One of my biggest issues I'm currently facing
is reading pdf documents with NVDA. On the adobe reader, or adobe acrobat
reader, NVDA reads absolutely nothing. I have to work everyday with those
types of documents because my university professors provide me with lectures
or books in pdf format, but I cannot access them.
So, could somebody help me with this problem because it is very important to
me. Every answer is appreciated.
sincerely,
Afrim

Sent from my iPhone

Most of these I've tried with the current ocr add on end up as Klingon!

However, its a great pity more of the ocrs do not allow one to open pdfs easily and ocr them.
[...]

Aravind R

no sir,
if its image pdf then NVDA will announce empty document and document
may contain OCR>
but, acrobat DC announce blank only even for text pdf

[...]

r. aravind,

Assistant manager
Department of sales
mobile no: +91 9940369593, 9710945613.
email id : aravind_069@..., aravind.andhrabank@....

I have occasionally had issues with both "pure image" PDFs that are images of text, just like anyone does, and also some OCR-ed stuff where the OCR was less than robust.

I have taught my clients to get around this by using a now discontinued, but still downloadable, product from Tracker Software in Canada called PDF XChange Viewer.  It is not generally accessible on the whole as a substitute for Adobe Reader, but what's necessary to OCR a document and save it is.  It uses a menu driven system that's like any other typical Windows program as far as the file menu goes, so all you have to do is open the file, run the OCR process, then save it afterward to keep the newly generated text layer.  The command to OCR a file is CTRL+SHIFT+C once the file is open.  The default settings give awfully good accuracy.  It also supports a number of languages besides English, but you have to download some of the more unusual ones if you want those.  I downloaded Swedish a couple of months ago when trying to help someone out.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Kevin Huber

Hi:
If you are using Adobe Acrobat Reader, have you tried changing some of
the settings in your preferences menu?
I forget what needs to be set, but there are several of them which
pertain to Screen Reader accessibility.
I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader version 15 and in my case, if I open a
PDF file, Acrobat Reader detects that I am using a screen reader as
sonn as it loads.
Kevin Huber

On 5/9/16, Aravind R <aravind.andhrabank@...> wrote:
[...]

i don't know what changes to be done in preference.
i will check

On 5/9/16, Kevin Huber <kevin.huber1@...> wrote:
[...]

I posted the step by step directions yesterday as to what needs to be done to get Adobe Reader XI or Adobe Reader DC set up to run with screen readers.

   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Patrick Le Baudour

The two OCRs I use, omnipage and freeOCR, do convert pdf. But the first one isn't free, and the second one prone to klingon.

-- Patrick.

Le 09/05/2016 à 16:39, Brian's Mail list account a écrit :
Most of these I've tried with the current ocr add on end up as Klingon!

However, its a great pity more of the ocrs do not allow one to open
pdfs easily and ocr them.
Brian

bglists@b

I yesterday went on the UK site london Elects to find out detailed results from the recent election. The main mayoral election pdf worked fin with nice easy to use tables etc. The london wide election results were in an untagged pdf, and it looked blank in adobe and when text was removed it was all junbled together with hardly any spaces and in the wrong order.
The local constituancy pdf, was just a picture of a bit of paper with no text in it at all which adobe reader said was also malformed.

Obviously those who make pdfs just do not understand what they are doing.