From: David Csercsics
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 7:32 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] caret browsing question?

Does the "caret browsing" setting in most web browsers help NVDA at all?
Just a curiosity. I know you used to apparently need it for Windows
mail, but is it recommended for browsing the web?

David Csercsics

Interesting. I figured it was redundant, but I guess you'd need it without the virtual buffer, so it's probably more useful for things like narrator then.

i enabled caret browsing and it did not work for me at all!
i even could not navigate web pages with arrow keys!

On 7/18/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Its for sighted people and does nothing regarding the Virtual PC Cursor or
Browse mode, two names for the same thing. We already have a virtual
cursor.

the explanation I've seen is that carret browsing is for helping sighted
people select text with the keyboard. We can already do that.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

thanks for your question.
i was curious about caret browsing too.

On 7/18/20, David Csercsics <bleeblat@...> wrote:
Does the "caret browsing" setting in most web browsers help NVDA at all?
Just a curiosity. I know you used to apparently need it for Windows
mail, but is it recommended for browsing the web?

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Gene

Those who use Windows 10 Narrator may be able to discuss the question more. But for one thing, we don't even know if any screen-reader is aware of the virtual cursor used in caret browsing. Just because a virtual cursor is present doesn't mean a screen-reader is aware of it and I doubt it is. Just because a real cursor is present, doesn't mean a screen-reader is necessarily aware of it.

I just tried an experiment. I turned off browse mode in NVDA. I then turned on the virtual cursor in Firefox. NVDA didn't respond in any way when I moved the arrow keys.

Interesting. I figured it was redundant, but I guess you'd need it
without the virtual buffer, so it's probably more useful for things like
narrator then.

You know I havn't needed to use that feature for a bit.

Granted nvda does have its own carrot settings so maybe thats why.

I havn't needed it but maybe wi will try it with some stuff.

I havn't needed screen layout either or anything like it.

-----Original Message----- From: David Csercsics
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 7:43 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io