Topics

changing reading speed on the fly in say all profile

J.G
 

Hello,

as I understand profiles, there was a bug in NVDA 2019.2.1 and  earlier, where say all profile used reading speed setting from parent profile "word, wordpad". with 2019.3.1 this bug has been resolved and behaveour is consistent, but now I don't know how to change reading speed on the fly via synth ring. in previous versions of NVDA I was able to change reading speed via synth ring in parent profile and this setting was inherited by say all.

str:
- open e.g. word document
- create profile linked to word if already not
- create profile, which is link to say all trigger.
- go back to word
- change reading speed via synth ring
- start say all

expected result say all will use a new speed
actual behaveour: say all uses its own speed

So what can I do to use synth ring on say all? should I activate it manually via keyboard, but it would be very annoying, because it destroy trigger system.

thx for your help.

best regards,
Jožef

Quentin Christensen
 

That sounds like it should work (you don't specifically need to be in Word, you can edit the say all profile from anywhere)  When you created the profile and linked it to say all, did you manually activate it?  When you associate it with the say all trigger and try to OK, it states that and offers to manually activate it so you can edit it - as long as you did that and hadn't deactivated it before adjusting the speech rate, it should work.  Even if you have a profile for the specified program, when you press NVDA+down arrow / NVDA+a it should use the say all profile.


On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 2:17 PM J.G <jozko.gregorc@...> wrote:
Hello,

as I understand profiles, there was a bug in NVDA 2019.2.1 and  earlier, where say all profile used reading speed setting from parent profile "word, wordpad". with 2019.3.1 this bug has been resolved and behaveour is consistent, but now I don't know how to change reading speed on the fly via synth ring. in previous versions of NVDA I was able to change reading speed via synth ring in parent profile and this setting was inherited by say all.

str:
- open e.g. word document
- create profile linked to word if already not
- create profile, which is link to say all trigger.
- go back to word
- change reading speed via synth ring
- start say all

expected result say all will use a new speed
actual behaveour: say all uses its own speed

So what can I do to use synth ring on say all? should I activate it manually via keyboard, but it would be very annoying, because it destroy trigger system.

thx for your help.

best regards,
Jožef



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

J.G
 

Thank you for your help. I can change settings of say all profile, when it is manually activated, but when I have pressed NVDA+down, and then tried to use synth ring via ctrl+NVDA+arrow keys, NVDA immediately fell back to original profile, so I was only able to change speech rate of this profile. I understand this logic behind, but anyway is it possible to embed some delay before fall back to original profile or other solution so we can save some time or I'm doing something wrong?

best regards,
Jožef

Quentin Christensen
 

Ah ok, yes I see.

Ok so to adjust the speech rate, first manually activate the profile, and then simply set the speed to what you want for say all.  Once you're done, manually deactivate the profile.  You can't use the synth settings ring while actually reading with say all.

Quentin.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 2:59 PM J.G <jozko.gregorc@...> wrote:
Thank you for your help. I can change settings of say all profile, when it is manually activated, but when I have pressed NVDA+down, and then tried to use synth ring via ctrl+NVDA+arrow keys, NVDA immediately fell back to original profile, so I was only able to change speech rate of this profile. I understand this logic behind, but anyway is it possible to embed some delay before fall back to original profile or other solution so we can save some time or I'm doing something wrong?

best regards,
Jožef



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Sarah k Alawami
 

Can you send a bug to github? or look for one?

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page YOu will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 17 Mar 2020, at 20:59, J.G wrote:

Thank you for your help. I can change settings of say all profile, when it is manually activated, but when I have pressed NVDA+down, and then tried to use synth ring via ctrl+NVDA+arrow keys, NVDA immediately fell back to original profile, so I was only able to change speech rate of this profile. I understand this logic behind, but anyway is it possible to embed some delay before fall back to original profile or other solution so we can save some time or I'm doing something wrong?

best regards,
Jožef

Sarah k Alawami
 

You realise you have sent this 5 or so times, either that or someone is bottom posting. If that is the case I don't read all the way to the bottom as I don't really have the time to do so.. I hope you can file an issue on github and provide logs.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page YOu will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 17 Mar 2020, at 20:59, J.G wrote:

Thank you for your help. I can change settings of say all profile, when it is manually activated, but when I have pressed NVDA+down, and then tried to use synth ring via ctrl+NVDA+arrow keys, NVDA immediately fell back to original profile, so I was only able to change speech rate of this profile. I understand this logic behind, but anyway is it possible to embed some delay before fall back to original profile or other solution so we can save some time or I'm doing something wrong?

best regards,
Jožef

 

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 04:25 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
You realise you have sent this 5 or so times, either that or someone is bottom posting.
Nope and nope.  The archive doesn't lie.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

       ~ Madonna