changing release cycle of NVDA

Hello. I have heard that Microsoft will go to a one a year release cycle for Windows major releases. If this is true, how will this impact on releases of our favorite screen reader?

Will this release cycle change from four a year to two or three releases a year? It would make the life of developers easier if it were to go to fewer releases. Just my thoughts.

Quentin Christensen

Good morning,

NVDA releases are not currently tied to Windows releases, so as and when Microsoft change their release cycle, it won't affect NVDA releases.  As we work on new releases of NVDA, we test these prerelease (alpha) releases on Windows Insider builds.  Windows Insider builds are similar to our Alphas, they are basically a prerelease version of Windows, so essentially by the time a given Windows update makes its way around to most consumers, we've already tested against it, and ideally, worked around any changes.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen