changing speech

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

Hi all,
Perhaps this may be something for Guithub, but thought I'd start by
posting here. I think maybe there should be an option, or at least
certain settings outside of general, that should be able to be changed
globally, even when application profiles are triggered. For instance,
I was using NVDA today with my wireless earpiece. When I plugged it
in, as usual, NVDA was set to use the speakers, as I don't use this
earpiece all the time. I went in to change the setting, not thinking
about what application I was in, and ended up changing settings for
the Firefox profile, not globally. I can't think of a situation where
I'd want a different synthesizer or sound device when in a specific
application, only maybe the automatic language switching option. So, I
think this should be something always changed globally, or at least
when an application-specific profile is in use, something should pop
up asking if you want to edit the general or the custom profile.
Bob

Andre Fisher

Hi.

You might not see the need, but I know that others might. I prefer NVDA stick to consistency where this is concerned, as confusion may arise if they go down this road. You may be able to disable configuration profile triggering with a shortcut before you do something like this, to prevent it from happening when a specific profile is activated.

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

The consistency argument makes sense. How would I go about using that
shortcut though?

On 3/28/21, Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi.

You might not see the need, but I know that others might. I prefer NVDA
stick to consistency where this is concerned, as confusion may arise if they
go down this road. You may be able to disable configuration profile
triggering with a shortcut before you do something like this, to prevent it
from happening when a specific profile is activated.

Andre Fisher

Hi.

NVDA menu, Preferences, Input gestures, in the Filter by edit field, type "trig". Press Tab to go to the results, and add the gesture from there.