Changing Symbol Pronunciation For Particular Language

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I am hoping to change the pronunciation of several symbols when I am
using a Spanish voice (say Microsoft Pablo in case of OneVoice,
selecting Spanish in ESpeak-NG) for concision. Is there a way to do
this for a particular language without altering the symbol's
pronunciation universally? It seems like the Punctuation/symbol
pronunciation dialog can load in a language-specific manner (it shows
up with English in its title right now), but despite choosing a
Spanish voice, focusing on Spanish text before opening the dialog, and
turning off language switching, I am unable to load it for Spanish. As
a Spanish beginner, the full, verbose reporting of common symbols is
quite distracting and I would greatly benefit from customizing them
for brevity.

I would truly appreciate any suggestions and advice on this.

Kind Regards,
Bhavya Shah
B.S. in Mathematical and Computational Science | Stanford '24

I can think of a couple of possible options.  If you are using the same software when dealing with Spanish, which you do not use when using other languages, could you set this up in a configuration profile?  Or you could use the NVDA Add-On, Application Dictionary, similarly and perhaps with greater ease.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Tyler Spivey

Check Trust voice's language when processing characters and symbols in the speech settings and try again.

On 5/11/2022 8:32 AM, Bhavya shah wrote:
[...]

Tyler, that makes a lot of sense in retrospect - I checked that option
and everything works as expected now. Many thanks!
Brian, I really appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately, I deal with
Spanish in Word and Edge, which applications, of course, I use
extensively for non-Spanish tasks too.

Thanks.