Topics

Checking file size in the "Properties" dialog using NVDA

Louise Pfau

Hi.  How do I check the file size listed in the "Properties" dialog with NVDA?  It was possible to navigate to it with JAWS using the "JAWS" or "invisible" cursors.  When I use the similar NVDA reading commands for reading in scan mode, the only thing that is read is the text of the control with system focus, which is usually the "read-only" checkbox that appears when the "Properties" dialog is first opened.

Thanks,

Louise

Tony Ballou

Hi,

While in properties hit insert-b  and NVDA will read what’s in the dialog box to you. Hope this helps.

Tony

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, September 6, 2020 8:28 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Checking file size in the "Properties" dialog using NVDA

Hi.  How do I check the file size listed in the "Properties" dialog with NVDA?  It was possible to navigate to it with JAWS using the "JAWS" or "invisible" cursors.  When I use the similar NVDA reading commands for reading in scan mode, the only thing that is read is the text of the control with system focus, which is usually the "read-only" checkbox that appears when the "Properties" dialog is first opened.

Thanks,

Louise

Gene

I can tell you using commands for the desktop layout. I don't know the laptop layout. But you won't really learn how to use the NVDA navigation modes from this explanation. I haven't used tutorials that teach this so I'll let others discuss those.

To do what you want, open properties.
Go into screen review mode with the command numpad insert numpad 7. That is, hold numpad insert and press numpad 7 while doing so.

Repeat the command until you hear something like screen review mode, though once will probably be enough.
Execute the command shift numpad 7 to move to the top of the screen. Move down the screen with numpad 9. You are moving down the screen by line. You can move very quickly until you hear the information you want. If you want to hear it again, press numpad 8, read current line. If you pass something you want to hear, go back with numpad 7. So numpad 7 is go back a line, numpad 8 is read current line and numpad 9 is move down one line.
Shift numpad 7 moves you to the top of the screen. I'll let you realize what shift numpad 9 does.

After you have finished, be sure you use the command num;pad insert numpad 1 until you are back in object navigation mode. If you don't remember to move back there, you may not get accurate focus when you move around.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2020 7:28 PM

Hi. How do I check the file size listed in the "Properties" dialog with NVDA? It was possible to navigate to it with JAWS using the "JAWS" or "invisible" cursors. When I use the similar NVDA reading commands for reading in scan mode, the only thing that is read is the text of the control with system focus, which is usually the "read-only" checkbox that appears when the "Properties" dialog is first opened.

Thanks,

Louise

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Do you want it spoken out before hand? as you arrow to each item or go into the properties of those items? if you have tool tips not checked they will not be spoken out the check box is found under the object  presentation menu.

You might also have to change your view to details view so this happens in the windows menu.

If it is the second one to see the properties either use the shift key + f10 key or the applications key to bring up the context menu then arrow down to properties then press the enter key.

you can get to that information which is usually spoken out by using either screen review or object navigation.

For screen review you could use in this case I am using a desk top layout after you have opened the properties section then hit the nvda key + the number 7 on the numeric keypad this should change it to screen review.

Then you could use the number 9 on the numeric keypad to go down it one line at a time until you hear the info you want to hear..

Using the number 8 key on the numeric keypad does the line you are on while 7 does the previous line, 4 does the previous word, while 5 does the current word and 6 the next word. 1 is the previous character, 2 is current and 3 is next character. This can also be copied if need to.

With object navigation you would use the nvda key + number 1 key on the numeric key pad then use the NVDA key +

key on the numeirc keypad to get to that same info. You might have to hit it a couple of times to get theere.  again it can be copied.

The 2 modes or there are 3 they can get you to parts of a screen that you might not be able to tab to.

Gene nz

On 7/09/2020 12:28 pm, Louise Pfau wrote:

Thanks,

Louise

Rui Fontes

Hello!

Other way is pressing NVDA+NumPad4 to go to the previous object on same level...

Best regards,

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 01:45 de 07/09/2020, Gene escreveu:

I can tell you using commands for the desktop layout.  I don't know the laptop layout.  But you won't really learn how to use the NVDA navigation modes from this explanation.  I haven't used tutorials that teach this so I'll let others discuss those.

Go into screen review mode with the command numpad insert numpad 7.  That is, hold numpad insert and press numpad 7 while doing so.

Repeat the command until you hear something like screen review mode, though once will probably be enough.
Execute the command shift numpad 7 to move to the top of the screen.  Move down the screen with numpad 9.  You are moving down the screen by line.  You can move very quickly until you hear the information you want.  If you want to hear it again, press numpad 8, read current line.  If you pass something you want to hear, go back with numpad 7.  So numpad 7 is go back a line, numpad 8 is read current line and numpad 9 is move down one line.
Shift numpad 7 moves you to the top of the screen.  I'll let you realize what shift numpad 9 does.

After you have finished, be sure you use the command num;pad insert numpad 1 until you are back in object navigation mode. If you don't remember to move back there, you may not get accurate focus when you move around.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Louise Pfau

Thanks,

Louise

CARLOS-ESTEBAN

Hello.

If you use keyboard layout laptop, the commands are:

First NVDA+shift+up arrow, and after NVDA+page dawn or NVDA+page up. When NVDA says object review, press: NVDA+up and dawn arrow for read next and previous line, NVDA+control+right and left arrow for read by Word and NVDA+right and lefht arrow for read by characters.

Well, other users says the commands for the layout desktop.

Regards.

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.

Músico (pianista) y también ayuda a usuarios ciegos y con discapacidad visual, con el uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología.

Experto certificado en el lector de pantalla NVDA.

Musicien (pianist) and also help to the blind people, with the use of screen readers and technology.

Certified expert in the screen reader NVDA.

NVDA certified expert2019

De: Rui Fontes
Enviado: lunes, 7 de septiembre de 2020 4:53
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Asunto: Re: [nvda] Checking file size in the "Properties" dialog using NVDA

Hello!

Other way is pressing NVDA+NumPad4 to go to the previous object on same

level...

Best regards,

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 01:45 de 07/09/2020, Gene escreveu:

> I can tell you using commands for the desktop layout.  I don't know

> the laptop layout.  But you won't really learn how to use the NVDA

> navigation modes from this explanation.  I haven't used tutorials that

> teach this so I'll let others discuss those.

> To do what you want, open properties.

> Go into screen review mode with the command numpad insert numpad 7. 

> That is, hold numpad insert and press numpad 7 while doing so.

> Repeat the command until you hear something like screen review mode,

> though once will probably be enough.

> Execute the command shift numpad 7 to move to the top of the screen. 

> Move down the screen with numpad 9.  You are moving down the screen by

> line.  You can move very quickly until you hear the information you

> want.  If you want to hear it again, press numpad 8, read current

> line.  If you pass something you want to hear, go back with numpad 7. 

> So numpad 7 is go back a line, numpad 8 is read current line and

> numpad 9 is move down one line.

> Shift numpad 7 moves you to the top of the screen.  I'll let you

> realize what shift numpad 9 does.

> After you have finished, be sure you use the command num;pad insert

> numpad 1 until you are back in object navigation mode. If you don't

> remember to move back there, you may not get accurate focus when you

> move around.

> Gene

> -----Original Message----- From: Louise Pfau

> Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2020 7:28 PM

> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

> Subject: [nvda] Checking file size in the "Properties" dialog using NVDA

> Hi.  How do I check the file size listed in the "Properties" dialog

> with NVDA?  It was possible to navigate to it with JAWS using the

> "JAWS" or "invisible" cursors.  When I use the similar NVDA reading

> commands for reading in scan mode, the only thing that is read is the

> text of the control with system focus, which is usually the

> "read-only" checkbox that appears when the "Properties" dialog is

> first opened.

> Thanks,

> Louise

>

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I've tried several of the suggestions people have mentioned, and they seem to work.  Some of them haven't appeared in the web interface, but did appear in my E-mail.  I use a combination of JAWS and NVDA, depending on the task.

Louise

Sarah k Alawami

quicker way using laptop keystrokes.
1. Navigate to the file
2. Hit alt enter.
3. Use nvda shift left arrow to go back until you hear size on disk, then nvda shift arrow right once.
4. To repeat hit nvda shift o twice. A 3rd time will I believe copy the thing to the clip board, or maybe it's the forth press of nvda shift o.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Sep 2020, at 17:45, Gene wrote:

I can tell you using commands for the desktop layout. I don't know the laptop layout. But you won't really learn how to use the NVDA navigation modes from this explanation. I haven't used tutorials that teach this so I'll let others discuss those.

Go into screen review mode with the command numpad insert numpad 7. That is, hold numpad insert and press numpad 7 while doing so.

Execute the command shift numpad 7 to move to the top of the screen. Move down the screen with numpad 9. You are moving down the screen by line. You can move very quickly until you hear the information you want. If you want to hear it again, press numpad 8, read current line. If you pass something you want to hear, go back with numpad 7. So numpad 7 is go back a line, numpad 8 is read current line and numpad 9 is move down one line.
Shift numpad 7 moves you to the top of the screen. I'll let you realize what shift numpad 9 does.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Louise Pfau

Hi. How do I check the file size listed in the "Properties" dialog with NVDA? It was possible to navigate to it with JAWS using the "JAWS" or "invisible" cursors. When I use the similar NVDA reading commands for reading in scan mode, the only thing that is read is the text of the control with system focus, which is usually the "read-only" checkbox that appears when the "Properties" dialog is first opened.

Thanks,

Louise

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I should've indicated that I'm using a desktop.

Louise