Christmas present from Joseph Lee: Add-on Updater and Windows App Essentials 22.01 #addonrelease

Hi all,

Merry Christmas (for those celebrating it).

This is actually the first of a series of add-on release announcements for version 22.01 (January 2022 release). Because there are many of them and since most deal with saying goodbye, I decided to divide them into three parts: add-ons I will update past January 2022, Clock add-on, and add-ons I will say goodbye to, with the latter two planned for just before New Year’s Day.

Version 22.01 of the following add-ons are available (manual download for now):

As soon as these are approved for community add-ons website distribution, this thread will be updated and Add-on Updater will begin checking for these updates (along with others).

Highlights of the new updates include feature refinements, new technologies, and deprecations. Specifically, if you are using Windows Server 2016, 2019, 2022 or any server release, Add-on Updater will show add-on updates dialog instead of a toast notification. Windows App Essentials now supports a preview version of Notepad being tested by Windows Insiders, as well as refinements to Windows 11 support, notably recognizing breadcrumb bar items in Settings app. In terms of deprecations, until now NVDA recognized heading elements found in Windows Store apps through Windows App Essentials but it caused problems in apps such as Calculator, therefore heading element recognition is deprecated and will be gone in a future add-on release. And as always, both add-on releases require NVDA 2021.2 or later.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

  • Add-on Updater: sometime in January, Add-on Updater will drop support for NVDA 2021.2. This is a standard procedure with this add-on – Add-on Updater supports latest stable NVDA release (2021.3.1); I’m supporting 2021.2 for a little while to allow folks having issues with checking for updates in NVDA 2021.2 to upgrade to 2021.3.1. The effect of this change is that if you are using NVDA 2021.2, Add-on Updater will not check for Add-on Updater updates – you must install 2021.3.1. I will inform the community at least a week in advance when you must upgrade to NVDA 2021.3.1 in order to continue to receive Add-on Updater updates.
  • Windows App Essentials: version 22.01 is the last release to support Windows 10 Version 20H2 (October 2020 Update/build 19042). The next stable release (late January 2022) will ask you to upgrade to Windows 10 Version 21H1 (May 2021 Update/build 19043) or later. As I noted previously, this is to align with Windows as a Service (WaaS) policy and consumer support schedule – Windows 10 Version 20H2’s end of life date for consumers is May 10, 2022 (business support from Microsoft ends in May 2023). Therefore I strongly urge you to upgrade to at least Windows 10 Version 21H1, or better yet, Version 21H2 of Windows 10 or 11 if the machine is not compatible with Windows 11 or vice versa, respectively.

Cheers,

Joseph

Louise Pfau

Hi Joseph.  I'm currently checking the group archive from a computer that only has core NVDA installed, but I have the add-ons mentioned in this thread installed on my own pc.  Will the add-ons in question be likely to receive community approval by January, and therefore be caught by Add-on Updater?  This thread will likely be further back in the archive by the time I can check it on my own pc to retrieve  the direct download links.

Thanks,

Louise

Hi,

Part of that depends on when NV Access folks will get a chance to review the distribution queue a.k.a. pull requests.

Cheers,

Joseph