Chrome browser security concern

Robert Mendoza

hi, Quentin. and all

Not sure if you noticed lately with Chrome and for me its kinda annoying at all.
well, I have nothing against with protection or security that was built-in for the mentioned browsers. But, sometimes it is really bugging.
When I visited such link that I used to even before like with NVDA site everytime I tried to download the file there is a prompt that saying that could harm my machine, and sometimes when I just typed on the search bar it keeps saying that site is not secure. As per my recollection, I never installed extension from the Chrome and tried to customize it to get rid of that message. Hoever, after a few shutting down of my machine it goes back to the setting that kicks-in the default setup
I may ask how to get out of this page or fix perhaps. Thanks.

Felix G.

Hello,
security alerts while just typing in the search bar are a cause for
concern. Something may be redirecting some of your outgoing traffic as
part of a man-in-the-middle attack. When I notice things like that I
usually do a complete reinstall just to be safe. Wish I could say
something more cheerful on the matter.
Regards,
Felix Grützmacher

Am Di., 21. Dez. 2021 um 04:26 Uhr schrieb Robert Mendoza
<lowvisiontek@gmail.com>:

hi, Quentin. and all

Not sure if you noticed lately with Chrome and for me its kinda annoying
at all.
well, I have nothing against with protection or security that was
built-in for the mentioned browsers. But, sometimes it is really bugging.
When I visited such link that I used to even before like with NVDA site
everytime I tried to download the file there is a prompt that saying
that could harm my machine, and sometimes when I just typed on the
search bar it keeps saying that site is not secure. As per my
recollection, I never installed extension from the Chrome and tried to
customize it to get rid of that message. Hoever, after a few shutting
down of my machine it goes back to the setting that kicks-in the default
setup
I may ask how to get out of this page or fix perhaps. Thanks.

Jonathan COHN

Hello,
While a man in the middle might be the culprit, there are also other things that cause this type of error. Essentially, it is saying that the encryption certificate for the site you are visiting can't be verified or has expired.
Every site that uses https: has a certificate on it. The certificate will tell you which authority  signed that certificate, the browser can then ask the signing authority to verify the certificate is valid. If you are missing root certificate authority certificate on your local computer, or if your computer can not reach the signing authority this can be marked as a potentially invalid certificate.

Gene

As I understand the situation, if you don’t keep Windows updates current, most Windows browsers won’t know about updated certificates and will gibve you a message about the site not being able to be verified.  To see if this might be the problem, you can try Firefox on such a site.  Firefox, unlike most Windows browsers, doesn’t depend on Windows for information about valid certificates.  It has its own data-base.

Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2021 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Chrome browser security concern

Hello,
While a man in the middle might be the culprit, there are also other things that cause this type of error. Essentially, it is saying that the encryption certificate for the site you are visiting can't be verified or has expired.
Every site that uses https: has a certificate on it. The certificate will tell you which authority  signed that certificate, the browser can then ask the signing authority to verify the certificate is valid. If you are missing root certificate authority certificate on your local computer, or if your computer can not reach the signing authority this can be marked as a potentially invalid certificate.

For myself, a great more precision in the description of how the situation is being brought about, and the exact messages being given, are both required before one can even attempt a coherent stab at answering this.

A step-by-step outline, with URL(s) in use, would be good for starters.  Even a single example.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill