Topics

Clarification on portable copy

marvin kotler

Good afternoon list; Marv here.  What I mean is that when I use the installed copy, there is an nvda button and menus in the system tray.  When I run the portable copy, there is no button in the system tray or menus.

Gene

I don't know why you aren't seeing NVDA in the system tray.  I do on my computer but I don't know if this varies depending on the operating system or where the portable copy is running from.  The system tray is not needed to see and work with NVDA.  As I said, NVDA key n opens the menu.  You will find that using this command opens exactly the same interface you are using the system tray to open.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2016 3:42 PM
Subject: [nvda] Clarification on portable copy

Good afternoon list; Marv here.  What I mean is that when I use the installed copy, there is an nvda button and menus in the system tray.  When I run the portable copy, there is no button in the system tray or menus.

Marvin,

Before I get to the technical bits, may I please ask you to consider not changing the title of your message when you're replying to a thread already in progress?  When you do a brand new thread gets created, and the messages exchanged, the clarifications offered, etc., get scattered across many threads rather than being collected under one.

What version of Windows are you running under?   My guess is that your portable NVDA system tray icon is being shuttled into the overflow chevron area.  There are ways to force that not to happen, but the details on how require knowing what version of Windows is being used.

Brian