Topics

Clipspeak addon compatibility status

Adriani Botez

Dear all,

Whats the compatibility status for the addon clipspeak? I get requests from many beginners for this addon.

Thanks and best regards
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Well, Clipspeak is still downloadable from the NVDA Stable Add-Ons Page, and so long as it remains there I presume it works.  Things generally get removed if they become incompatible with the current version of NVDA.

Damien Garwood is the author, and is a member of this group.  In the case of Add-Ons, consulting with their respective authors is the best way to find out whether they're being actively maintained and whether they are slated to work with the Python 3 code base.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

molly the blind tech lover

Still works

Well, Clipspeak is still downloadable from the NVDA Stable Add-Ons Page, and so long as it remains there I presume it works.  Things generally get removed if they become incompatible with the current version of NVDA.

Damien Garwood is the author, and is a member of this group.  In the case of Add-Ons, consulting with their respective authors is the best way to find out whether they're being actively maintained and whether they are slated to work with the Python 3 code base.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Kevin Cussick

this addon does not work with the latest alpha snaps. i suppose this is because it is not compatible with python3 yet? Joseph or someone else can answer.

On 06/10/2019 16:04, Brian Vogel wrote:
Well, Clipspeak <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html> is still downloadable from the NVDA Stable Add-Ons Page <https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html>, and so long as it remains there I presume it works.  Things generally get removed if they become incompatible with the current version of NVDA.
Damien Garwood is the author, and is a member of this group.  In the case of Add-Ons, consulting with their respective authors is the best way to find out whether they're being actively maintained and whether they are slated to work with the Python 3 code base.
*The color of truth is grey.*
           ~ André Gide

Hi,
Mostly having to do with add-on manifest issue. I'm willing to make it "compatible" but if and only if Damien gives the community permission to do so.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Gene

I imagine it will be made compatible but unless new students are going to benefit somehow or work with features in the upcoming possibly incompatible version of NVDA, they may use the current version of NVDA.  I haven't followed what is in the new version but I suspect that for new students, it may not be important.

Gene

this addon does not work with the latest alpha snaps.   i suppose this
is because it is not compatible with python3 yet?   Joseph or someone
else can answer.

On 06/10/2019 16:04, Brian Vogel wrote:
> Well, Clipspeak
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html> is still
> downloadable from the NVDA Stable Add-Ons Page
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html>, and so long as it
> remains there I presume it works.  Things generally get removed if they
> become incompatible with the current version of NVDA.
>
> Damien Garwood is the author, and is a member of this group.  In the
> case of Add-Ons, consulting with their respective authors is the best
> way to find out whether they're being actively maintained and whether
> they are slated to work with the Python 3 code base.
> --
>
> Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362
>
> *The color of truth is grey.*
>
>             ~ André Gide

molly the blind tech lover

I just looked at the website listing the compatibility of add-ons with python 3. It says clipspeak isn't compatible. Here's the link

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdapy3.en.html

[...]

I'm not saying that this problem will occur regarding this add-on, I don't think it will, but the possible situation should be discussed.

I saw Joseph's message about needing to obtain permission before making the add-on compatible.  This raises the question of providing, in some sort of agreement regarding add-ons, that under specified conditions an add-on will be considered to be in the public domain.  An add-on that is abandoned but not in the public domain is in danger of not being updated and becoming useless or significantly degraded as NVDA or the program it works with changes.

Of course, the rights of those who provide add-ons for profit should be protected but it is, in my opinion, a serious violation of the spirit of NVDA that an add-on can be abandoned by its developer, and still not be able to be modified to keep it current.

Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2019 4:35 PM

I just looked at the website listing the compatibility of add-ons with python 3.  It says clipspeak isn't compatible. Here's the link

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdapy3.en.html

this addon does not work with the latest alpha snaps.   i suppose this
is because it is not compatible with python3 yet?   Joseph or someone
else can answer.

On 06/10/2019 16:04, Brian Vogel wrote:
> Well, Clipspeak
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html> is still
> downloadable from the NVDA Stable Add-Ons Page
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html>, and so long as it
> remains there I presume it works.  Things generally get removed if
> they become incompatible with the current version of NVDA.
>
> Damien Garwood is the author, and is a member of this group.  In the
> case of Add-Ons, consulting with their respective authors is the best
> way to find out whether they're being actively maintained and whether
> they are slated to work with the Python 3 code base.
> --
>
> Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362
>
> *The color of truth is grey.*
>
>             ~ André Gide

molly the blind tech lover

I love clipspeak. It is extremely useful.

Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2019 4:35 PM

I just looked at the website listing the compatibility of add-ons with python 3.  It says clipspeak isn't compatible. Here's the link

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdapy3.en.html

this addon does not work with the latest alpha snaps.   i suppose this
is because it is not compatible with python3 yet?   Joseph or someone
else can answer.

On 06/10/2019 16:04, Brian Vogel wrote:
> Well, Clipspeak
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html> is still
> downloadable from the NVDA Stable Add-Ons Page
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html>, and so long as it
> remains there I presume it works.  Things generally get removed if
> they become incompatible with the current version of NVDA.
>
> Damien Garwood is the author, and is a member of this group.  In the
> case of Add-Ons, consulting with their respective authors is the best
> way to find out whether they're being actively maintained and whether
> they are slated to work with the Python 3 code base.
> --
>
> Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362
>
> *The color of truth is grey.*
>
>             ~ André Gide

Damien Garwood

Hi Joseph,
I'll leave this one up to you. It does have a few bugs that I wouldn't know how to resolve, not knowing enough about the NVDA codebase and Windows API programming (perhaps one of the biggest being that sometimes seemingly at random, operations fail to work, with a close second being that it can easily interfere with applications which have a different purpose for the keys that Clipspeak uses). Based on this, if you still feel that the community has use for it, then anyone who likes may take up the reins.
Meantime, for me, I think I need to do a heck of a lot more reading and experimenting and private failing (yes Damien, note to self, private being the key word there), before I start trying to publish another addon, let alone update my existing ones. I feel like I've already let the community down as it is with my lousy attempts. I'm determined not to metaphorically flood the kitchen next time I wash up.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 06/10/2019 10:13 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Arlene

, I too love clipspeak. I have no problems with it. I’m sorry it doesn’t work for some users.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2019 4:35 PM

I just looked at the website listing the compatibility of add-ons with python 3.  It says clipspeak isn't compatible. Here's the link

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdapy3.en.html

this addon does not work with the latest alpha snaps.   i suppose this
is because it is not compatible with python3 yet?   Joseph or someone
else can answer.

On 06/10/2019 16:04, Brian Vogel wrote:
> Well, Clipspeak
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html> is still
> downloadable from the NVDA Stable Add-Ons Page
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html>, and so long as it
> remains there I presume it works.  Things generally get removed if
> they become incompatible with the current version of NVDA.
>
> Damien Garwood is the author, and is a member of this group.  In the
> case of Add-Ons, consulting with their respective authors is the best
> way to find out whether they're being actively maintained and whether
> they are slated to work with the Python 3 code base.
> --
>
> Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362
>
> *The color of truth is grey.*
>
>             ~ André Gide

Hi,
Let's do this then:
1. Do let NVDA add-ons list know about your add-on and asking the community to maintain it.
2. I'll ask someone to take a look at this add-on, and if nobody steps up, I'll at least correct the manifest problem so it can at least install on future NVDA releases.

[...]

One of the best add-ons out there

Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2019 4:35 PM

I just looked at the website listing the compatibility of add-ons with python 3.  It says clipspeak isn't compatible. Here's the link

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdapy3.en.html

this addon does not work with the latest alpha snaps.   i suppose this
is because it is not compatible with python3 yet?   Joseph or someone
else can answer.

On 06/10/2019 16:04, Brian Vogel wrote:
> Well, Clipspeak
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html> is still
> downloadable from the NVDA Stable Add-Ons Page
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html>, and so long as it
> remains there I presume it works.  Things generally get removed if
> they become incompatible with the current version of NVDA.
>
> Damien Garwood is the author, and is a member of this group.  In the
> case of Add-Ons, consulting with their respective authors is the best
> way to find out whether they're being actively maintained and whether
> they are slated to work with the Python 3 code base.
> --
>
> Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362
>
> *The color of truth is grey.*
>
>             ~ André Gide

Kevin Cussick

Hi, agreed, but I also agree that after say 3 months of an author who does not answer queries about His or Her addon should expect someone to take it over without any consent.

I love clipspeak. It is extremely useful.
I'm not saying that this problem will occur regarding this add-on, I don't think it will, but the possible situation should be discussed.
I saw Joseph's message about needing to obtain permission before making the add-on compatible.  This raises the question of providing, in some sort of agreement regarding add-ons, that under specified conditions an add-on will be considered to be in the public domain.  An add-on that is abandoned but not in the public domain is in danger of not being updated and becoming useless or significantly degraded as NVDA or the program it works with changes.
Of course, the rights of those who provide add-ons for profit should be protected but it is, in my opinion, a serious violation of the spirit of NVDA that an add-on can be abandoned by its developer, and still not be able to be modified to keep it current.
I just looked at the website listing the compatibility of add-ons with python 3.  It says clipspeak isn't compatible. Here's the link
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdapy3.en.html
this addon does not work with the latest alpha snaps.   i suppose this
is because it is not compatible with python3 yet?   Joseph or someone
else can answer.
On 06/10/2019 16:04, Brian Vogel wrote:
> Well, Clipspeak
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html> is still
> downloadable from the NVDA Stable Add-Ons Page
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html>, and so long as it
> remains there I presume it works.  Things generally get removed if
> they become incompatible with the current version of NVDA.
>
> Damien Garwood is the author, and is a member of this group.  In the
> case of Add-Ons, consulting with their respective authors is the best
> way to find out whether they're being actively maintained and whether
> they are slated to work with the Python 3 code base.
> --
>
> Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362
>
> *The color of truth is grey.*
>
>             ~ André Gide

Kevin Cussick

Hi, no no, let me thank you for your efforts. I love this addon and hope it will be maintained at some point to be made to work with the next up and coming Nvda.

On 06/10/2019 22:57, Damien Garwood wrote:
[...]

Larry Wang

According to the license of NVDA,all code other than some paid synthesizers that runs under NVDA, should be GPL v2. So it is not necessary to obtain permission as long as you release full source code. Joseph's message about needing to obtain permission only applies to addons on community site.I guess for the sake of avoiding version conflict and wasting time of developer and reviewer.

Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2019 4:35 PM

I just looked at the website listing the compatibility of add-ons with python 3.  It says clipspeak isn't compatible. Here's the link

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdapy3.en.html

this addon does not work with the latest alpha snaps.   i suppose this
is because it is not compatible with python3 yet?   Joseph or someone
else can answer.

On 06/10/2019 16:04, Brian Vogel wrote:
> Well, Clipspeak
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html> is still
> downloadable from the NVDA Stable Add-Ons Page
> <https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html>, and so long as it
> remains there I presume it works.  Things generally get removed if
> they become incompatible with the current version of NVDA.
>
> Damien Garwood is the author, and is a member of this group.  In the
> case of Add-Ons, consulting with their respective authors is the best
> way to find out whether they're being actively maintained and whether
> they are slated to work with the Python 3 code base.
> --
>
> Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362
>
> *The color of truth is grey.*
>
>             ~ André Gide

Luke Davis

On 2019/10/7 5:43, Gene wrote:

I saw Joseph's message about needing to obtain permission before making the add-on compatible.  This raises the question of providing, in some sort of
agreement regarding add-ons, that under specified conditions an add-on will be considered to be in the public domain.  An add-on that is abandoned but
not in the public domain is in danger of not being updated and becoming useless or significantly degraded as NVDA or the program it works with
changes.
There is a provision of that sort. It is not so much an agreement with add-on developers, as since this is open source and very community oriented, there are no "agreements".
However there is a provision of the add-on review process, that does effectively what you suggest, by telling developers what will happen if they disappear after contributing their add-on to the review process for inclusion on the nvda-project.org website:

8. If add-on authors can't continue a required work, they can be replaced by another maintainer three months after the first request.

That is from https://addons.nvda-project.org/processes.en.html

Of course, the rights of those who provide add-ons for profit should be protected but it is, in my opinion, a serious violation of the spirit of NVDA
that an add-on can be abandoned by its developer, and still not be able to be modified to keep it current.
Well, see the above. It is not the same as making them public domain--add-ons are copywritten under some version of the GPL (2, usually), so public domain is not an option--but they can be made a form of community property, or transferred to some other maintainer(s).

What that usually means in practice, is that if people try to contact a maintainer for three months or more with no success, the add-on can be forked and a new version created, incorporating the earlier work.
Since the software is open source, it is possible that if a developer can be contacted but refuses to update his add-on, the same thing could be done. However I have not heard of a test case of that situation without the author agreeing to have the add-on taken over.

Luke