Topics

ClipSpeak doesn't seem as reliable as

Gerardo Corripio

Aside from ClipSpeak, which supposedly tells you when you copy, paste, cut etc., which other AddON or solution is  there? Using ClipSpeak Control+x doesn’t say anything here at my end, even though when I’ve gone into Input Gestures area/Clipboard  from withinSettings (its Shortcut is n), and Control+x is assigned! Any other thoughts, or Addons I could try that would tell me when I copy, Cut etc?

Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10

Luke Davis

What version of Clipspeak, and what version of NVDA and Windows are you using?

I just downloaded Clipspeak 1.1, installed into NVDA Alpha, on Win 10 update 2004.

In firefox, I selected a bunch of lines, and pressed ctrl+c. I heard "Copied text".
I then opened notepad, and pressed ctrl+v, for which I heard "Pasted text".
Lastly, I selected all and pressed ctrl+X, and heard "Cut text".

It seems to be working as expected.

Luke

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020, Gerardo Corripio wrote:

Aside from ClipSpeak, which supposedly tells you when you copy, paste, cut etc., which other AddON or solution is  there? Using ClipSpeak Control+x doesn’t
say anything here at my end, even though when I’ve gone into Input Gestures area/Clipboard  from withinSettings (its Shortcut is n), and Control+x is
assigned! Any other thoughts, or Addons I could try that would tell me when I copy, Cut etc?

Gene

Hass Clip Speak been upgraded to make it compatible with newer versions of NVDA? If I understand what I saw on the web site, it has been. Do you have this version?
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html
But I hope others will comment since I may not understand the information properly.
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2020 3:47 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] ClipSpeak doesn't seem as reliable as

Aside from ClipSpeak, which supposedly tells you when you copy, paste, cut etc., which other AddON or solution is there? Using ClipSpeak Control+x doesn’t say anything here at my end, even though when I’ve gone into Input Gestures area/Clipboard from withinSettings (its Shortcut is n), and Control+x is assigned! Any other thoughts, or Addons I could try that would tell me when I copy, Cut etc?

At least at the moment, add-ons compatible with the 2019.X NVDA releases should also be compatible with 2020.X releases.  (Unless I've completely erased the development history of NVDA, it was 2019.X where the change from Python 2 to Python 3 occurred.)

I imagine that the "compatible with" lines on the add-on pages are often updated only when a new version of the add-on is released, and likely not after until the next update must be made.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Gene,

I omitted that the version currently downloading from the official add-on page you supplied, https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html, is ClipSpeak 1.1, which is what Luke stated he just downloaded in an earlier post.
--

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Well 19.3 was the python3 switchover.

So 19.2 was the last python 2 version.

I actually think that in most cases nvda is a lot more stable with the later python version.

On 7/07/2020 9:36 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene,

I omitted that the version currently downloading from the official add-on page you supplied, https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html, is ClipSpeak 1.1, which is what Luke stated he just downloaded in an earlier post.
--

Gerardo Corripio

NVDA version 2020.1, with Windows 10 2004 (64 bits) build 19041.329, and Clipspeak 1.1.

De: Luke Davis
Enviado: lunes, 6 de julio de 2020 04:02 p. m.
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Asunto: Re: [nvda] ClipSpeak doesn't seem as reliable as

What version of Clipspeak, and what version of NVDA and Windows are you using?

I just downloaded Clipspeak 1.1, installed into NVDA Alpha, on Win 10 update

In firefox, I selected a bunch of lines, and pressed ctrl+c. I heard "Copied

text".

I then opened notepad, and pressed ctrl+v, for which I heard "Pasted text".

Lastly, I selected all and pressed ctrl+X, and heard "Cut text".

It seems to be working as expected.

Luke

> Aside from ClipSpeak, which supposedly tells you when you copy, paste, cut etc., which other AddON or solution is  there? Using ClipSpeak Control+x doesn’t

> say anything here at my end, even though when I’ve gone into Input Gestures area/Clipboard  from withinSettings (its Shortcut is n), and Control+x is

> assigned! Any other thoughts, or Addons I could try that would tell me when I copy, Cut etc?

Gerardo Corripio

And which is what I have as well installed since yesterday. Remember I use Windows in Spanish, thus I went into check within the Clipboard subsection ofInput Gestures, and the Control+x is as it should.

De: Brian Vogel
Enviado: lunes, 6 de julio de 2020 04:36 p. m.

Gene,

--

Gerardo,

Not that there's the slightest thing wrong with asking about how ClipSpeak is behaving for others here, but once you have even a single counterexample for the specific problem you're having suspect something about your own ecosystem, be that a corruption in Windows 10, some weird interaction secondary to Spanish (in your case) being selected and what gets exposed to the ClipSpeak add-on, or similar.

If there is someone else reading who's also using Spanish it would be interesting to know if they've got the same issue, as that would point to some sort of issue secondary to language, but if they aren't then it points even more to something being not quite right on your machine.

But if further input suggests an issue for others that matches yours, it's the developer of the Add-On who should be the first point of contact as far as seeking a solution.

--

Hi,

Hmmm, I think I know why. Can you tell us exactly how you are doing this – that is, tell us how to reproduce the issue? Only then I will tell you what’s happened.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerardo Corripio
Sent: Monday, July 6, 2020 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] ClipSpeak doesn't seem as reliable as

And which is what I have as well installed since yesterday. Remember I use Windows in Spanish, thus I went into check within the Clipboard subsection ofInput Gestures, and the Control+x is as it should.

Gene,

--

Luke Davis

And which is what I have as well installed since yesterday. Remember I use Windows in Spanish, thus I went into check within the Clipboard subsection
ofInput Gestures, and the Control+x is as it should.
So your windows language is set to Spanish. What is your NVDA language set to? (NVDA+ctrl+G, first element).

With my Windows language set to English, and my NVDA language set to Spanish (ES), Clipspeak works fine.

Have you checked to be sure the Clipspeak add-on is enabled? If it is enabled, maybe remove it and download and install it again?
This is all in NVDA+n, T, A, enter (English keys).

Luke

Gerardo Corripio

Joseph and lister

Just tried the Control+x command on Jart, but no go! It doesn’t say Cut text. I again went into NVDA+n; p for Options, and N to get into the Input Gestures area; from there into Clipboard. I arrow down to where it says Cut, and it says one of one Control+x, thus I can’t get why isn’t it saying Cut text if the option is set up right? Any other ideas aside from deleting and reassigning Control+x?

De: Joseph Lee
Enviado: lunes, 6 de julio de 2020 04:51 p. m.

Hi,

Hmmm, I think I know why. Can you tell us exactly how you are doing this – that is, tell us how to reproduce the issue? Only then I will tell you what’s happened.

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene,

--

Gerardo Corripio

NVDA is default to Spanish as the Operating system.

De: Luke Davis
Enviado: lunes, 6 de julio de 2020 04:54 p. m.

> And which is what I have as well installed since yesterday. Remember I use Windows in Spanish, thus I went into check within the Clipboard subsection

> ofInput Gestures, and the Control+x is as it should.

So your windows language is set to Spanish. What is your NVDA language set to?

(NVDA+ctrl+G, first element).

With my Windows language set to English, and my NVDA language set to Spanish

(ES), Clipspeak works fine.

Have you checked to be sure the Clipspeak add-on is enabled? If it is enabled,

maybe remove it and download and install it again?

This is all in NVDA+n, T, A, enter (English keys).

Luke

Gerardo Corripio

Here’s the log hoping it helps seeing where the problem lides at my end, in that ClipSpeak doesn’t say Cut text

INFO - __main__ (17:07:53.994) - MainThread (20736):

Starting NVDA version 2020.1

INFO - core.main (17:07:54.240) - MainThread (20736):

Config dir: C:\Users\gerac\AppData\Roaming\nvda

INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (17:07:54.240) - MainThread (20736):

Loading config: C:\Users\gerac\AppData\Roaming\nvda\nvda.ini

INFO - core.main (17:07:54.445) - MainThread (20736):

Using Windows version 10.0.19041 workstation

Using Python version 3.7.7 (tags/v3.7.7:d7c567b08f, Mar 10 2020, 09:44:33) [MSC v.1900 32 bit (Intel)]

Using comtypes version 1.1.7

Using configobj version 5.1.0 with validate version 1.0.1

INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (17:07:55.447) - MainThread (20736):

Loaded synthDriver vocalizer_expressive

INFO - core.main (17:07:55.447) - MainThread (20736):

Using wx version 4.0.3 msw (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.0.5 with six version 1.12.0

INFO - brailleInput.initialize (17:07:55.451) - MainThread (20736):

Braille input initialized

INFO - braille.initialize (17:07:55.454) - MainThread (20736):

Using liblouis version 3.12.0

INFO - braille.initialize (17:07:55.461) - MainThread (20736):

Using pySerial version 3.4

INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (17:07:55.469) - MainThread (20736):

Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.

INFO - core.main (17:07:55.810) - MainThread (20736):

Java Access Bridge support initialized

INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (17:07:55.833) - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThread (16252):

UIAutomation: IUIAutomation6

WARNING - external:vlc_settingsHandler.QTInterface._loadRecentFiles (17:07:58.636) - MainThread (20736):

Error: number of recent files  and time count are different

INFO - core.main (17:08:00.299) - MainThread (20736):

NVDA initialized

INFO - globalCommands.GlobalCommands.script_navigatorObject_devInfo (17:08:55.812) - MainThread (20736):

Developer info for navigator object:

name: ''

role: ROLE_DOCUMENT

roleText: None

states: STATE_FOCUSABLE, STATE_FOCUSED

isFocusable: True

hasFocus: True

Python object: <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIAEditableTextWithSuggestionsMailWordDocumentWordDocumentEditableTextWithAutoSelectDetectionUIA object at 0x089BD950>

Python class mro: (<class 'NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIAEditableTextWithSuggestionsMailWordDocumentWordDocumentEditableTextWithAutoSelectDetectionUIA'>, <class 'globalPlugins.wintenObjs.UIAEditableTextWithSuggestions'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.behaviors.EditableTextWithSuggestions'>, <class 'nvdaBuiltin.appModules.hxmail.MailWordDocument'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.wordDocument.WordDocument'>, <class 'UIABrowseMode.UIADocumentWithTableNavigation'>, <class 'documentBase.DocumentWithTableNavigation'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.wordDocument.WordDocumentNode'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.behaviors.EditableTextWithAutoSelectDetection'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIA'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.winword.WordDocument'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.behaviors.EditableText'>, <class 'editableText.EditableText'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class 'documentBase.TextContainerObject'>, <class 'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class 'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <class 'object'>)

description: ''

value: None

appModule: <'hxoutlook' (appName 'hxoutlook', process ID 17896) at address 88b8610>

appModule.productName: 'microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps'

appModule.productVersion: '16005.12827.20400.0'

TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.wordDocument.WordDocumentTextInfo'>

windowHandle: 1836282

windowClassName: 'Windows.UI.Core.CoreWindow'

windowControlID: 0

windowStyle: 1409286144

extendedWindowStyle: 2621440

windowThreadID: 19868

windowText: 'Correo'

displayText: ''

UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x730de60 at 8a343f0>

UIA automationID: RootFocusControl

UIA frameworkID:

UIA runtimeID: (42, 1836282, 4, 262503116, 0)

UIA providerDescription: [pid:17896,providerId:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified Provider (unmanaged:MSOIMM.dll)]

UIA className: _WwG

UIA patterns available: ScrollPattern, LegacyIAccessiblePattern, TextPattern

Hi,

No, the log didn’t tell us what’s going on, but I think I know the answer (see the next post).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, July 6, 2020 3:13 PM
Subject: [nvda] My log about Clipspeak's not saying Cut

Here’s the log hoping it helps seeing where the problem lides at my end, in that ClipSpeak doesn’t say Cut text

INFO - __main__ (17:07:53.994) - MainThread (20736):

Starting NVDA version 2020.1

INFO - core.main (17:07:54.240) - MainThread (20736):

Config dir: C:\Users\gerac\AppData\Roaming\nvda

INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (17:07:54.240) - MainThread (20736):

Loading config: C:\Users\gerac\AppData\Roaming\nvda\nvda.ini

Using Windows version 10.0.19041 workstation

Using Python version 3.7.7 (tags/v3.7.7:d7c567b08f, Mar 10 2020, 09:44:33) [MSC v.1900 32 bit (Intel)]

Using comtypes version 1.1.7

Using configobj version 5.1.0 with validate version 1.0.1

INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (17:07:55.447) - MainThread (20736):

Loaded synthDriver vocalizer_expressive

INFO - core.main (17:07:55.447) - MainThread (20736):

Using wx version 4.0.3 msw (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.0.5 with six version 1.12.0

INFO - brailleInput.initialize (17:07:55.451) - MainThread (20736):

Braille input initialized

INFO - braille.initialize (17:07:55.454) - MainThread (20736):

Using liblouis version 3.12.0

INFO - braille.initialize (17:07:55.461) - MainThread (20736):

Using pySerial version 3.4

INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (17:07:55.469) - MainThread (20736):

Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.

INFO - core.main (17:07:55.810) - MainThread (20736):

Java Access Bridge support initialized

INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (17:07:55.833) - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThread (16252):

UIAutomation: IUIAutomation6

WARNING - external:vlc_settingsHandler.QTInterface._loadRecentFiles (17:07:58.636) - MainThread (20736):

Error: number of recent files  and time count are different

INFO - core.main (17:08:00.299) - MainThread (20736):

NVDA initialized

INFO - globalCommands.GlobalCommands.script_navigatorObject_devInfo (17:08:55.812) - MainThread (20736):

Developer info for navigator object:

name: ''

role: ROLE_DOCUMENT

roleText: None

states: STATE_FOCUSABLE, STATE_FOCUSED

isFocusable: True

hasFocus: True

Python object: <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIAEditableTextWithSuggestionsMailWordDocumentWordDocumentEditableTextWithAutoSelectDetectionUIA object at 0x089BD950>

Python class mro: (<class 'NVDAObjects.Dynamic_UIAEditableTextWithSuggestionsMailWordDocumentWordDocumentEditableTextWithAutoSelectDetectionUIA'>, <class 'globalPlugins.wintenObjs.UIAEditableTextWithSuggestions'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.behaviors.EditableTextWithSuggestions'>, <class 'nvdaBuiltin.appModules.hxmail.MailWordDocument'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.wordDocument.WordDocument'>, <class 'UIABrowseMode.UIADocumentWithTableNavigation'>, <class 'documentBase.DocumentWithTableNavigation'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.wordDocument.WordDocumentNode'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.behaviors.EditableTextWithAutoSelectDetection'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIA'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.winword.WordDocument'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.behaviors.EditableText'>, <class 'editableText.EditableText'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class 'documentBase.TextContainerObject'>, <class 'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class 'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <class 'object'>)

description: ''

value: None

appModule: <'hxoutlook' (appName 'hxoutlook', process ID 17896) at address 88b8610>

appModule.productName: 'microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps'

appModule.productVersion: '16005.12827.20400.0'

TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.wordDocument.WordDocumentTextInfo'>

windowHandle: 1836282

windowClassName: 'Windows.UI.Core.CoreWindow'

windowControlID: 0

windowStyle: 1409286144

extendedWindowStyle: 2621440

windowThreadID: 19868

windowText: 'Correo'

displayText: ''

UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x730de60 at 8a343f0>

UIA automationID: RootFocusControl

UIA frameworkID:

UIA runtimeID: (42, 1836282, 4, 262503116, 0)

UIA providerDescription: [pid:17896,providerId:0x0 Main(parent link):Unidentified Provider (unmanaged:MSOIMM.dll)]

UIA className: _WwG

UIA patterns available: ScrollPattern, LegacyIAccessiblePattern, TextPattern

Hi,

Okay, a few things for everyone:

• Is this related to NVDA language: actually, no. If it was, then it would be something NVDA translators would have been aware of. A key piece of information translators need is add-on gestures, and for this one, there is none for languages other than English. How we ended up with this is beyond the scope of this forum – all I can say is that ClipSpeak wasn’t registered with translations workflow, and it won’t be made translatable for some time (due to another work that’s being researched, which is again beyond the scope of this list).
  • Is NVDA supposed to announce “cut” all the time: no. If the currently focused control does allow you to cut or copy text using how NVDA does it (say, in browse mode), it is supposed to use whatever facility NVDA provides. If not, it is supposed to send the command to the program you are using.
  • Clipboard content matters: even if you do cut something, NVDA won’t announce things you have just cut. ClipSpeak supports text, parts of text 9such as words), and files and folders. Also, item must be selected (for example, text must be selected) before NVDA can say things.
  • Where you are located matters: even though you are working with a file, not all edit fields will tell ClipSpeak to announce clipboard messages. This is more so if the text field is read-only.

Based on this, I think one or more of the following might be happening:

• No text selected
  • Jarte does not support operations necessary for ClipSpeak add-on to speak the appropriate clipboard message
  • Wrong command was sent to the application
  • NVDA didn’t recognize that the clipboard contains text

For resident geeks here: I must say ClipSpeak add-on source code is quite an interesting read. It isn’t up for me to critique the author of this add-on, but I think folks may wish to work on improving this add-on somehow.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, July 6, 2020 2:58 PM

Joseph and lister

Just tried the Control+x command on Jart, but no go! It doesn’t say Cut text. I again went into NVDA+n; p for Options, and N to get into the Input Gestures area; from there into Clipboard. I arrow down to where it says Cut, and it says one of one Control+x, thus I can’t get why isn’t it saying Cut text if the option is set up right? Any other ideas aside from deleting and reassigning Control+x?

De: Joseph Lee
Enviado: lunes, 6 de julio de 2020 04:51 p. m.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene,

--

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 06:12 PM, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
Please, there has been a recent Admin Notice requesting that logs not be posted to the group, and I'm asking this again.  Particularly when one has not been asked for.

It's fine to exchange logs or log segments, but please do so via private exchanges, and only when someone asks for one.

--

Damien Garwood

Hi Joseph,
Trust me, I wouldn't take it badly if you did.
I guess that's what happens when a beginner tries to code something useful without knowing how the infrastructure around it works.
Having said that, nobody can say I didn't read the dev docs. I just didn't understand most of them. But I was determined not to throw in the towel at that point. If I'd known what an embarrassing piece of junk I was going to spew forth...
Three years of hard study, a few months of coding, and three years of reflection. Yup. I think we can safely say I definitely failed that test!
If it's any consolation, I don't even use Clipspeak myself anymore.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 06/07/2020 11:19 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
* Is this related to NVDA language: actually, no. If it was, then it
would be something NVDA translators would have been aware of. A key
piece of information translators need is add-on gestures, and for
this one, there is none for languages other than English. How we
ended up with this is beyond the scope of this forum – all I can say
is that ClipSpeak wasn’t registered with translations workflow, and
it won’t be made translatable for some time (due to another work
that’s being researched, which is again beyond the scope of this list).
* Is NVDA supposed to announce “cut” all the time: no. If the
currently focused control does allow you to cut or copy text using
how NVDA does it (say, in browse mode), it is supposed to use
whatever facility NVDA provides. If not, it is supposed to send the
command to the program you are using.
* Clipboard content matters: even if you do cut something, NVDA won’t
announce things you have just cut. ClipSpeak supports text, parts of
text 9such as words), and files and folders. Also, item must be
selected (for example, text must be selected) before NVDA can say
things.
* Where you are located matters: even though you are working with a
file, not all edit fields will tell ClipSpeak to announce clipboard
messages. This is more so if the text field is read-only.
* No text selected
* Jarte does not support operations necessary for ClipSpeak add-on to
speak the appropriate clipboard message
* Wrong command was sent to the application
* NVDA didn’t recognize that the clipboard contains text
For resident geeks here: I must say ClipSpeak add-on source code is quite an interesting read. It isn’t up for me to critique the author of this add-on, but I think folks may wish to work on improving this add-on somehow.
Cheers,
Joseph
*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Gerardo Corripio
*Sent:* Monday, July 6, 2020 2:58 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] ClipSpeak doesn't seem as reliable as
Joseph and lister
                                                                                              Enviado desde Correo <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> para Windows 10
*De: *Joseph Lee <mailto:@joslee>
*Enviado: *lunes, 6 de julio de 2020 04:51 p. m.
*Para: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Asunto: *Re: [nvda] ClipSpeak doesn't seem as reliable as
Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph
*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of *Gerardo Corripio
*Sent:* Monday, July 6, 2020 2:43 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
                                                                                              Enviado desde Correo <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> para Windows 10
*De: *Brian Vogel <mailto:@britechguy>
*Enviado: *lunes, 6 de julio de 2020 04:36 p. m.
Gene,
        I omitted that the version currently downloading from the official add-on page you supplied, https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html, is ClipSpeak 1.1, which is what Luke stated he just downloaded in an earlier post.
--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363
/*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.*/
~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in /New York Times/ article, /How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States/ <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>/,/September 23, 2019

Gene

It may have faults or defects but I've been using it for years and I find it useful and almost always reliable. I'm very pleased you created it, though from what you say, it may have taken so much time that maybe it wasn't worth it from your standpoint of time and work. But I have believed since the issue came up, that this feature should be in the NVDA code itself and I very much a[ppreciate your attempting to make NVDA do what System Access and JAWS both do and saving me work and aggrevation because I usually know when, even if I issue the command correctly, it fails and then I can make sure it is done correctly.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 2:24 AM

Hi Joseph,
I guess that's what happens when a beginner tries to code something
useful without knowing how the infrastructure around it works.
Having said that, nobody can say I didn't read the dev docs. I just
didn't understand most of them. But I was determined not to throw in the
towel at that point. If I'd known what an embarrassing piece of junk I
was going to spew forth...
Three years of hard study, a few months of coding, and three years of
reflection. Yup. I think we can safely say I definitely failed that test!
Cheers,
Damien.

Hi,

things.

* No text selected

Cheers,

Joseph

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Gerardo Corripio

Joseph and lister

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of *Gerardo Corripio

Gene,

I omitted that the version currently downloading from the official add-on page you supplied, https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html, is ClipSpeak 1.1, which is what Luke stated he just downloaded in an earlier post.
--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

/*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform. Now, you simply declare your own truth.*/

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in /New York Times/ article, /How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States/ <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>/,/September 23, 2019

Damien Garwood

Hi Gene,
Time isn't an issue for me. The problem is finding beginner-friendly resources. That's also an issue because people learn in different ways, program in different ways, and experts are generally unaware of what or how to teach beginners unless they are qualified teachers and/or course organisers (I speak from experience). One of the biggest hurdles is discovering exactly what the beginner does or doesn't know (and that goes for any area of study).
Personally, I'm rubbish at learning through pre-existing material or class-based courses. I learn ten times quicker and better through personal tuition. Unfortunately, where that causes a problem is, money.
Again, I speak from experience. I did a course that taught how to use Reaper three years ago, and I couldn't get to grips with it. Two months of personal tuition, and I'm doing things I would have never dreamed of before then.
Anyway, I am glad you find use for it, but it's doubly clear to me now that it definitely could be improved.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 07/07/2020 10:41 am, Gene wrote:
It may have faults or defects but I've been using it for years and I find it useful and almost always reliable.  I'm very pleased you created it, though from what you say, it may have taken so much time that maybe it wasn't worth it from your standpoint of time and work.  But I have believed since the issue came up, that this feature should be in the NVDA code itself and I very much a[ppreciate your attempting to make NVDA do what System Access and JAWS both do and saving me work and aggrevation because I usually know when, even if I issue the command correctly, it fails and then I can make sure it is done correctly.
Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Damien Garwood
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 2:24 AM
Hi Joseph,
I guess that's what happens when a beginner tries to code something
useful without knowing how the infrastructure around it works.
Having said that, nobody can say I didn't read the dev docs. I just
didn't understand most of them. But I was determined not to throw in the
towel at that point. If I'd known what an embarrassing piece of junk I
was going to spew forth...
Three years of hard study, a few months of coding, and three years of
reflection. Yup. I think we can safely say I definitely failed that test!
Cheers,
Damien.
Hi,

things.

* No text selected

Cheers,

Joseph

Joseph and lister

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene,

--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

/*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.*/