Topics

Column shifting in large tables

Jonathan Milam

Hi All,

I am seeing an issue with NVDA where, in a table on a website with hundreds if not a thousand rows, after sorting it in a different order the columns shift at random spots in the table and continue shifting throughout the rest of the table.  So in other words, if the column headers are city, country, course number, course name, etc., the information in the columns shifts so that country becomes the header for city, course name becomes course number, etc.  Unfortunately there is no pattern for this behavior, in that the shifting happens at different spots in the table each time I reload it.  Has anyone else seen this, and if so, any ideas on how to fix it?             

Thanks,

Jonathan

Sarah k Alawami

Do you have an example website or what not to show this behavior? Also have you looked at the GitHub page to see if someone put up an issue about. This will not be of much help, but it might help us troubleshoot.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jonathan Milam
Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 9:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Column shifting in large tables

Hi All,

I am seeing an issue with NVDA where, in a table on a website with hundreds if not a thousand rows, after sorting it in a different order the columns shift at random spots in the table and continue shifting throughout the rest of the table.  So in other words, if the column headers are city, country, course number, course name, etc., the information in the columns shifts so that country becomes the header for city, course name becomes course number, etc.  Unfortunately there is no pattern for this behavior, in that the shifting happens at different spots in the table each time I reload it.  Has anyone else seen this, and if so, any ideas on how to fix it?             

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan Milam

Unfortunately not, since it is behind an intranet firewall thus requiring VPN for access.  I will definitely check GitHub to see if I can find anything.  Thanks, Sarah.

Jonathan

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Column shifting in large tables

Do you have an example website or what not to show this behavior? Also have you looked at the GitHub page to see if someone put up an issue about. This will not be of much help, but it might help us troubleshoot.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jonathan Milam
Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2021 9:58 AM
Subject: [nvda] Column shifting in large tables

Hi All,

Thanks,

Jonathan

Are you certain that this issue does not lie with the webpage itself?

If anyone is available for sighted assistance, are they seeing the results after sorting "go wonky"?  If so, it's probably not NVDA's problem at all.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Jonathan Milam

That’s correct, Brian.  It is not happening when a sighted user views the table with different browsers.

Jonathan

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 10:35 AM

Are you certain that this issue does not lie with the webpage itself?

If anyone is available for sighted assistance, are they seeing the results after sorting "go wonky"?  If so, it's probably not NVDA's problem at all.
--

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Jonathan,

Interesting.  It still might not be NVDA, as I've seen some very sloppy HTML that, while it presents visually, is an absolute mess to parse out.

And I hasten to add I'm not trying to say it's not NVDA, either.  By any chance have you tried another screen reader or screen readers to see how they react?
--

~ Brian Vogel

Jonathan Milam

I have, actually.  Voiceover doesn’t even see it as a table, but I am not seeing the shifting issue with JAWS, however, the latency navigating with JAWS prevents it from even being a solution.  I even tried Chromevox in Chrome but I am unable to navigate the table with it either, due to the latency.  I think much of the issue is caused by the sheer size of the table, the fact that it’s HTML, and also due to the many sorting options it offers.  I’m trying to get a CSV version of it for offline testing, or perhaps they can break up the table into several pages, because it also takes forever to fully load.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2021 3:20 PM

Jonathan,

Interesting.  It still might not be NVDA, as I've seen some very sloppy HTML that, while it presents visually, is an absolute mess to parse out.

And I hasten to add I'm not trying to say it's not NVDA, either.  By any chance have you tried another screen reader or screen readers to see how they react?
--

~ Brian Vogel

Is the page where this table occurs accessible to the general public?  If so, would you share the URL?
--

~ Brian Vogel

Jonathan Milam

It isn’t unfortunately.  It is part of my employer’s intranet and requires VPN access.

Jonathan

Sent: Friday, February 5, 2021 10:36 AM

Is the page where this table occurs accessible to the general public?  If so, would you share the URL?
--

~ Brian Vogel