comment section in you tube is not displaying

Robert Mendoza

Not sure if this problem occurs with the NVDA but I will give a shot to discuss here.

Does anyone could noticed in the youtube website the comment section is not displaying. Well, this is the second time I noticed this and observing and tried to shift to different browser but no luck.

Robert Mendoza

Here are the short finding when I am using Chrome and Firefox the comment section is not displaying.
But, when I shift to Edge it works well.

Also, like to add I don't either use extension on the mentioned browsers.

On 4/14/2021 10:10 AM, Robert Mendoza via groups.io wrote:
Not sure if this problem occurs with the NVDA but I will give a shot to discuss here.

Does anyone could noticed in the youtube website the comment section is not displaying. Well, this is the second time I noticed this and observing and tried to shift to different browser but no luck.

Quentin Christensen

Although there is something which acts like an edit field to "add a public comment", it's done in such a way that it isn't actually a traditional edit field, so you can't find it by navigating by edit field or even form field.  The best way I've found to get to it is:

1. Press NVDA+control+f to open NVDA's find function.
2. Type the word "comments" (without quotes)
3. Press ENTER to move to the first instance of the word.
4. Press TAB twice to move past "Sort by" and onto the edit field.

I have found that sometimes everything hasn't loaded and it can't find comments.  In this case, escape the error dialog, press CONTROL+END to jump to the bottom of the page, then up arrow and it's usually actually at the comments - YouTube seems to load the video and then related / suggested videos, then after that the comments, and sometimes it doesn't load the comments until you actually scroll down to the bottom of the page to get to them.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene

I suspect there is something wrong with Youtube. On another list there is discussion that comments canbe be seen with Edge but not with one or two other browsers.

Also, because the person asking the question has been seeing them before and something must have changed.

I tried looking for comments on a page and I didn't find them even though I skimmed down the page to allow it to change.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 12:10 PM Robert Mendoza <lowvisiontek@gmail.com> wrote:
Not sure if this problem occurs with the NVDA but I will give a shot to
discuss here.

Does anyone could noticed in the youtube website the comment section is
not displaying. Well, this is the second time I noticed this and
observing and tried to shift to different browser but no luck.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Luke Davis

The old trick of pressing Control+End, then shift+2 (to go back to the previous heading level 2), still works to find comments.

However, Youtube is taking longer than ever to show comments now--I just had timings of 3 seconds on one video, and 15 or so on another, before the Shift+2 actually worked.

However--I might test this more--if you pause the video (by hitting K, or NVDA+F2 then K), then do the Control+End, Shift+2, that may load the comments quicker. It seemed to in one test I did.

I don't generally use Youtube by computer, so YMMV, but these were my results in Firefox just now.

--
Luke

"In this life there are obstacles, and forces who overcome obstacles. You can be either one or the other.
If you refuse to even try to clear an obstacle, you become the obstacle."
- Joel Shepherd

Quentin Christensen

When I was exploring before, I tried in both Firefox and Chrome.  I did find a couple of times it hadn't yet loaded the comments, which was why I thought it was waiting until the focus actually was at the bottom to load them - Either way, it is very slow.  I think it's just that sluggishness rather than a browser issue, but that's just a guess.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 2:33 PM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:
[...]

JM Casey

I usually use Chrome on youtube. What I do is open a video. I hit the letter e twice, and this puts me directly in the comment field. This seems to have become more rather than less reliable lately (the comment field seems to have been moved on the video pages by youtube, but I’m not quite sure of its new position on the screen, if any.)
Chrome seems by far to give the best youtube experience for me. I find firefox to be a little unmanageable on youtube and slow, and I don't use any other chromium-based browsers currently to determine whether they work as well as Google Chrome.

wrote:
Not sure if this problem occurs with the NVDA but I will give a shot to
discuss here.

Does anyone could noticed in the youtube website the comment section is
not displaying. Well, this is the second time I noticed this and
observing and tried to shift to different browser but no luck.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

JM Casey

Something seems to have changed for me recently … I don’t know whether it is a setting, something youtube is trying with certain servers or what, but the comments now seem to load before suggested videos, and appear higher on the page than other non-currently-playing-video-related content.

It seems that many of us have different sorts of youtube experiences dependent onv arious sometimes unknown factors, which is interesting, but doesn’t always make suggesting solutions straightforward.

[...]

Blaster

I agree with all of the suggestions mentioned on this thread and would
like to add one more thing. People who post videos on YouTube have the
option to not have comments show for that video, also, they can have
them on and for any reason they can turn them off. This info doesn't
apply to one browser showing comments and another hiding them, as
YouTube doesn't discriminate against any choice of browser.

HTH,
Blaster

<mailto:lowvisiontek@gmail.com> > wrote:

Not sure if this problem occurs with the NVDA but I will give a shot to
discuss here.

Does anyone could noticed in the youtube website the comment section is
not displaying. Well, this is the second time I noticed this and
observing and tried to shift to different browser but no luck.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: <http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Quentin Christensen

Interesting, I specifically can't get to the "add a public comment" edit with e - the only edit box NVDA sees is the search edit up the top - and that's even if I'm on my avatar next to the comment edit, so I know it's loaded.  I wondered if it was that it hadn't loaded and so NVDA hadn't seen it, but a) NVDA can navigate to it and read "Edit add a public comment", but even if I refresh NVDA's buffer at that point, it still can't find it.