Community Add-Ons: Compatibility Status Page with NVDA 2021.1 - Please Consult It First #adminnotice

Joseph Lee very kindly made the readership aware of this page on June 1, 2021.  Here is a repeat of his message:
----
Hello NVDA users,

Many of you are wondering about whether or not your favorite NVDA add-ons will be ready for NVDA 2021.1. To answer this question, the add-ons community has prepared a status page listing add-ons hosted on community add-ons website and their NVDA 2021.1 compatibility status:

Note that things can change without notice, and the page does not include newly added add-ons; add-ons added to community add-ons website in recent days will be included in the status page soon. Also, I have asked the add-ons community to update this document from time to time whenever backwards incompatible NVDA version enters beta testing phase (I myself will contribute to this document if my add-ons do become compatible with future NVDA releases; I might not be able to update add-ons in a timely manner while taking graduate courses).

As always, feedback about add-ons should be sent to add-on authors.

Thanks.
----

And I previously noted, on June 8th:

If the add-on you have a question about is not part of the community add-ons page, but is maintained by a third-party, whether that's a company or individual, please direct questions regarding compatibility of these add-ons with NVDA 2021.1 to their respective maintainers.  They are the only sources who can give you accurate information about their update/maintenance plans for these add-ons.

If you have information about a third-party or "home grown" add-on being released in a version that is compatible with NVDA 2020.1 after having actually received confirmation of this from its developer, please feel free to share.  Also, if a developer tells you a compatible version will not be released, this is useful information for the readership to have.  But please consult the above noted page for the compatibility status of Community Add-Ons.

      ~ Brian Vogel

anthony borg

Thanks for that message.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 10:06 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
The add-ons community has prepared a status page listing add-ons hosted on community add-ons website and their NVDA 2021.1 compatibility status:

-
Just giving this message a bump, and now adding some questions of my own.

We had a message regarding the Weather Plus Add-On after its transition away from using Yahoo as its base data source.  The above noted page states that it is compatible with NVDA 2021.1, but has not been updated on the Community Add-Ons page, yet, and this makes sense because 2021.1 has not been officially released, yet.

Am I correct in believing that any add-on that is compatible with 2021.1 will be incompatible with all earlier releases?  That's what I'd assume when the term "backwards compatibility breaking" release is used, both for NVDA itself and its compatible add-ons.

Is a "flash cut" as far as getting the 2021.1 compatible versions of all add-ons uploaded to the community add-ons page, and the line about compatibility for each respective add on, planned as of this time?  I realize the date will depend on exactly when 2021.1 goes from release candidate stage to actual release, but want to know if there will be an almost "light switch being thrown" updating to the community add-ons page concurrent with the release.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Hi,

Compatibility with older NvDA releases is really up to add-on authors to decide, but in most cases (except for a few), older NVDA releases will be supported. Backward compatibility, in this context, refers to API changes.

Cheers,

Joseph (P.S. a major announcement about one of my add-ons is coming soon)

Time for another bump.  If you want to know the compatibility status of your add-ons with NVDA 2021.1, please consult:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdacompat.en.html

And if any of your add-ons are shown with a, "No," for compatibility, please contact the developers of that add-on.  Information on how to do so is present for each add-on.
If you receive a definitive response, whether it's an, "It will be compatible," with or without the definite date, or a "It is not going to be made compatible," please feel free to share that information.

Only the developers of the various add-ons can answer questions about compatibility with NVDA 2021.1 definitively.

      ~ Brian Vogel