Topics

Community add-ons and NVDA 2019.3 update: live development snapshots

Hi NVDA users,

As some of you may have noticed, certain builds of various community add-ons will advertise themselves as compatible with or requiring NVDA 2019.3 in any form. This is because several of us are releasing live development snapshots to test how add-ons are doing in the real world. This is typically done via development snapshots, but I know that some stable releases do contain code that will function in old and new NVDA releases.

Answers to some frequently asked questions:

Q. When I try to install an add-on, NVDA says “minimum version: 2019.3”.

Some add-ons (especially recent development snapshots) do require NVDA 2019.3 as they utilize code introduced in this release (not just Python 3).

Q. I have 2019.3 alpha and an add-on update says it is not compatible.

At least one add-on is retiring (or is end of life) as features from it are part of NVDA.

Q. I’m using Add-on Updater. I recently updated to a dev version yet Add-on Updater wants to download an old release.

This is due to add-on files database records. If you run into this, disable update check for affected add-ons (NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Add-on Updater/Do not update add-ons list and check ones you don’t want to get updates).

Q. I’m using NVDA 2019.2.1 with Add-on Updater installed, and when I check for updates, I get an update that isn’t compatible with the version I’m using.

You need to switch to stable channel for the time being (NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Add-on Updater/Prefer development releases, uncheck add-ons that you wish to switch to stable channel).

Q. What if my add-on is not listed n Add-on Updater?

Not all add-on updates can be checked via Add-on Updater (many speech synthesizers are excluded form update checks). The best course of action is contacting add-on authors about compatibility of these add-ons.

Q. I wish to report compatibility status of some add-ons.

Please do so if and only if you have absolutely latest releases and you are confident that the add-on in question is indeed incompatible in some way.

For people using my add-ons: for people using development snapshots of various add-ons, recent and upcoming snapshots will require NVDA 2019.3 in order to function. This is done to test how my add-ons are doing in the real world, and only after going through testing will they graduate to stable channel (this will happen after 2019.3 beta or RC is released).

Cheers,

Joseph