Topics

Community add-ons notice: add-ons to be reviewed by me must be written strictly in Python 3, effective February 1, 2021

Hello all,

Because I know that several add-on authors are members of NVDA users list and may or may not be part of NVDA Add-ons list, I’m writing this notice so resident add-on authors can be aware of changes taking place in add-on review process:

Effective February 1, 2021, any add-on authors seeking add-on review from me must write their add-ons in strict Python 3 mode.

Background: January 2020 marked end of life for Python 2. Since then, many projects have switched to Python 3, including NVDA with the release of 2019.3.

As a community add-ons reviewer, I didn’t really care about Python 2 and 3 compatibility for a while, knowing that add-ons may need to be written to support old and new NVDA releases. That window is coming to a close: effective February 1, 2021, any add-on to be reviewed by me must be written strictly in Python 3. This is so that the community can standardize on Python 3 from now on. I will make an exception if authors can demonstrate that parts of their add-on must be compatible with NVDA 2019.2.1 or earlier, and if so, I’ll keep that in mind as I review your add-ons.

Note that this policy deals with add-on reviews to be done by me – other community add-on reviewers may have their own policies about Python 3. But to help the community, I recommend moving to strict Python 3 development environment when writing add-ons.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph