Compatibility updates to the "Golden Cursor" add-on will not be provided

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I’ve obtained Joseph’s permission to post to the list regarding the compatibility status of the “Golden cursor” add-on.  I contacted him to enquire about the compatibility status of the “Golden Cursor” add-on prior to the release of NVDA 2021.1, and he informed me that he will not be providing compatibility updates.  I may have caused some confusion, because I thought he was the main add-on developer, for which I appologize.

Louise

Rowen Cary

In other words, will the add-on not be updated for compatibility?

HI all,

To clarify: although I'm listed as the last maintainer of Golden Cursor, I viewed myself as maintaining it on behalf of the NVDA community (the add-on wasn't developed by me originally) as the community lost contact with the original add-on developer. Since I stopped maintaining this add-on in early 2020, coupled with life changes I'm about to go through, I won't be able to maintain Golden Cursor again i.e. no compatibility update plans (sorry).

Cheers,

Joseph

David Moore

Golden cursor was my favorite add-on! I used it a lot to access controls with math programs that I use to tutor! Who can I get with to have this add-on updated so I can use this important software? I would pay for Golden cursor to be compatible with future versions of NVDA! I am already using Windows 11 dev insiders update! Please get back with me and suggest what I can do with future versions of NVDA and my very beloved Golden Cursor! Thanks so much!

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021, 1:14 AM Louise Pfau <lpfau@...> wrote:
Hi.  I’ve obtained Joseph’s permission to post to the list regarding the compatibility status of the “Golden cursor” add-on.  I contacted him to enquire about the compatibility status of the “Golden Cursor” add-on prior to the release of NVDA 2021.1, and he informed me that he will not be providing compatibility updates.  I may have caused some confusion, because I thought he was the main add-on developer, for which I appologize.

Louise

Rowen Cary

To make it compatible with 2021.1 only need to change the addon compatibility flag, I did this and it worked well.

David Griffith

I checked the addon compatibility page and it is still listed as incompatible. Have you submitted your revised compatible version?

It would be kind if you did I think for many users although I have not used it myself.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 10 July 2021 12:31
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Compatibility updates to the "Golden Cursor" add-on will not be provided

To make it compatible with 2021.1 only need to change the addon compatibility flag, I did this and it worked well.

Rowen Cary

I am not the author of the plugin. If necessary, can we please on nvaccess to find a new maintainer?

Hello everyone,

Because Golden Cursor is an important add-on for people, I'm thinking about intervening - that is, willing to edit Golden Cursor if no-one steps up. For now editing the manifest will work, but there are changes to be made inside the add-on source code itself that will let the add-on take advantage of changes introduced in really modern NVDA releases (part of this work involves linting the add-on source code to make it readable).

Cheers,

Joseph

David Moore

Thanks, Joseph! I would be so grateful knowing Golden Cursor will work in the future! It is such a great advantage of using NVDA, being able to do so much with the mouse!

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021, 4:36 AM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Because Golden Cursor is an important add-on for people, I'm thinking about intervening - that is, willing to edit Golden Cursor if no-one steps up. For now editing the manifest will work, but there are changes to be made inside the add-on source code itself that will let the add-on take advantage of changes introduced in really modern NVDA releases (part of this work involves linting the add-on source code to make it readable).

Cheers,

Joseph