locked Compiling a Braille output table

Dirk Verbiest <verba@...>

Hello,

I would like to compile a braille output table based on Dutch (Nederlands 8 punt), but with slight modifications.
The table should appear as “MUZIEK” in the list of braille output. This will allow my blind son to read music scores on his braille display.

I have created such a table for Jaws many years ago. That was fairly easy, because there’s only one file involved. However, in NVDA there are several files involved (files located in the folder “tables” with the extensions .tbl, .utb, .cti). Perhaps files in other folders as well, but I have no idea.

So, where can I find how to go about this? Any advice?

Best,
Dirk

John Isige

NVDA uses Liblewis for braille. I'll bet you can find stuff on compiling an output table for that.

http://liblouis.org/documentation/liblouis.html

On 1/4/2022 2:54 PM, Dirk Verbiest wrote:
Hello,

I would like to compile a braille output table based on Dutch (Nederlands 8 punt), but with slight modifications.
The table should appear as “MUZIEK” in the list of braille output. This will allow my blind son to read music scores on his braille display.

I have created such a table for Jaws many years ago. That was fairly easy, because there’s only one file involved. However, in NVDA there are several files involved (files located in the folder “tables” with the extensions .tbl, .utb, .cti). Perhaps files in other folders as well, but I have no idea.

So, where can I find how to go about this? Any advice?

Best,
Dirk

Hi,

Without going into technical stuff, you need to do four things:

  1. Select the appropriate base braille table (something that starts with "nl").
  2. Write the table - for this case, you must define braille dots for characters used in music notation.
  3. Edit NVDA source code to add the new braille table.
  4. Compile a custom version of NVDA.

A while ago someone was working on a way to let users define and add custom braille tables, but it hasn't been updated in quite some time.

As this is a domain of Liblouis and involves NVDA source code tweaks, let's discuss this on Liblouis list and/or NVDA development list.

Cheers,

Joseph

This topic is locked after this post.

I suspected that this was really more of a software-develoment-level sort of question, but I wanted to allow those who would know the details to respond and confirm that, and they have.

The mailing list for discussion of Liblouis and Liblousxml is on Freelists.org, here:  Discussion of liblouis and liblouisxml

The NVDA Development Group is right here on Groups.io:

NVDA Developers Group

This group is focused on the development of the NVDA Screen Reader.  It is not an end-user support group.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)