Configuration Profiles Limitation (Speech Dictionary)

Thomas N. Chan

Hi all,
I have this particular  thing I want to customize in NVDA.
I want my TTS to read certain things in certain applications when I triggle in configuration profile.
For example, if I am in the putty/command prompt or even reviewing text logs, I want to read, respond or reply as Yes or Y
but when I am in normal webapps like gmail or even reading email in outlook, all these I want them to read as normal reply or respond.
I read the FAQ on github and the following is what it said.
Any changes made to NVDA settings (eg synthesizer, speech rate or punctuation level) are applied to this profile.

What can you all suggest I do in this situation?

I hope all these make sense
Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

Thomas,

The following is not meant to be snarky in any way, but on the whole, no, it doesn't make sense.

Configuration profiles can be set up to either be manually triggered (which is usually the exception) or automatically triggered (more common) when you land in an application.  The things specific to that profile will only apply when that profile is active.

Now, on to what I think you're asking (and I could be wrong):  If you're looking for the same Synth to pronounce the exact same thing differently depending on what application you're in, would only be possible using "clever trickery."  The dictionaries, temporary, default, and voice are separate.  Both the temporary, which vanishes if you restart NVDA and default apply no matter what voice and what app  you're in.  Now, the voice dictionary applies in any app you're in where you happen to use the specific voice, so if you were willing to change voices based upon the application you're currently using, you could limit substitutions to occurring only when that specific voice is in use.  I'm not sure if a change in voice, as opposed to a change in synth, can be made automatic in a profile, but the change in synth can, and you could just make sure you're using a specific voice with that synth for which you created the necessary voice dictionary entries.

I hope this helped, and I hope I've managed to actually get at what you were hoping to do.

         ~ Vance Packard

Thomas N. Chan

Hi Brian,
just as I guess. The only way to accomplish  that is through another TTS.

Temporary will not work because I use putty and reading of specific apps on the day to day bases.
What I did was I put all those entry on  the default and use this particular portable NVDA while I am reading those logs. When I am done, I just open the other copy while I am reading email.

The configuration profile for my case is set to automatic to the specific program I will be using for this task.

The purpose for this configuration profile, in my opinion, is so that I can change certain  parameters or certain things I would like to read in a certain way and not be restricted to just  TTS parameters etc.

While reading tables on the website which you frequently   visit, you might not even want to read the column or row header, but in some cases, you might need to.
I am just pulling out example of situation I would use

thanks for your pointer of this matter
Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 3:29 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
[...]

Given the level of sophistication you already seem to possess in regard to the dictionaries, could you not just create a "permanent" temporary voice or default dictionary file that you could move in to where it needs to be in the NVDA dictionary file hierarchy, unload NVDA, then reload it so that it has the entries you need for the given situation, then flip flop that with your original dictionary when you're done?

I get why you're asking what you're asking, but as far as NVDA being improved to allow it, that would likely be a long way off even if an issue were put in GitHub as I doubt the demand for such is very high.  That's not to say it wouldn't be useful, but it's not likely to be high priority.

A couple of simple batch files or powershell files would allow you to exit the running NVDA, move the existing dictionary to a storage spot, move the context specific dictionary to the necessary NVDA spot, then fire up NVDA again.  You would, of course, be reversing the swap in one (or more, depending on how many "specialty dictionaries" you have or need) of the batch files.

There seem to me to be ways to accomplish what you want using a single TTS, but they will involve workarounds that involve what NVDA itself loads when it's starting up as far as dictionaries go.

Just a thought.

         ~ Vance Packard

Deenadayalan Moodley

Hi,

Have you looked at the application dictionaries addon? This allows you to create dictionaries for specific applications.

Here’s the original message sent to this list:

Hello friends!

Application Dictionary

Informations

• Authors: Ricardo M. Leonarczyk and Rui Fontes

• Version: 1.3

• Download stable version

• Compatibility: NVDA: 2019.1 to 2020.1

Usage

This simple add-on makes possible to create application-specific dictionaries for NVDA.

To use the add-on, just go to the application for wich you want a dictionary for, and press NVDA+shift+p. The normal NVDA dictionary dialog will open for you to add entries valid only for the active application (the application name should appear in the dialog title). The default add-on shortcut can be changed through NVDA's input gestures dialog: under configuration node, expand the node that says "Shows the application-specific dictionary dialog".

Command

"NVDA+Shift+p": Shows the application-specific dictionary dialog

Rui Fontes and Ricardo M. Leonarczyk

I had not been aware of that add-on, and it is available via the NVDA Add-Ons Directory.

The latest version, however, is 1.4.  Download Link: https://nvda-addons.org/files/get.php?file=applicationdictionary

I'd love to know how they implemented this "under the hood".

         ~ Vance Packard

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 05:57 PM, Deenadayalan Moodley wrote:
Authors: Ricardo M. Leonarczyk and Rui Fontes
-
Also something changed with this.  Mr. Leonarczyk is still listed as the first author but the second is Łukasz Golonka.

https://github.com/RickLeon/applicationDictionary

         ~ Vance Packard

Thomas N. Chan

Thanks Brian for your input and this addon for the other member suggested.
I will take a look.

I really thought of using a script to accomplish  but your concept is rather similar.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan