Configuration profiles

Eilana Benish

Hello everybody

I want to create a profile which contains several options

one of the options I would like to change is to turn on the highlight system focus from the vision category on NVDA settings. that problem is that when I return to the normal configuration profile, this setting keeps on running.

is there anything I can do to make sure that when I choose for example the accessibility testing profile, the highlight of system focus and other settings from the vision category we'll turn off?

Thanks in advance

Gene

I've done a little with profiles and this may help.  When you create the new profile, change whatever you want to change.  Then, while you are still in the new profile, save it using NVDA key control c.  In the small amount of using profiles I've done, that appears to permanently save the settings for the profile you are creating or adjusting.

Gene

On 4/16/2022 3:42 AM, Eilana Benish wrote:

Hello everybody

I want to create a profile which contains several options

one of the options I would like to change is to turn on the highlight system focus from the vision category on NVDA settings. that problem is that when I return to the normal configuration profile, this setting keeps on running.

is there anything I can do to make sure that when I choose for example the accessibility testing profile, the highlight of system focus and other settings from the vision category we'll turn off?

Thanks in advance

Eilana Benish

Hi Gene

Thank you for your  answer

I followed your suggestions and saved my configuration after making the changes for each profile

But unfortunately when I am returning to the normal profile the system focus highlight keeps running

[...]

Perhaps there is something about that command that doesn't change once it is on.  You could try turning it off once you are in the normal profile again and, if you haven't made other changes in the normal profile that you don't want to save, try saving it using the same command.  If you are sure you won't be saving settings you changed in that profile, it won't do any harm and it may solve the problem.

Gene

On 4/16/2022 8:55 AM, Eilana Benish wrote:

[...]

Luke Davis

What version of NVDA are you using?

Running the latest alpha, I did the following steps:

1. Checked that highlighting was off (NVDA+n, p, s, v, tab).

2. Created a new manually triggered profile called testprof. In the trigger for editing dialog which appears as the last step in creation, I chose Yes.

3. I changed voice variant, to be sure that I could tell when this profile was triggered by what the voice sounded like. That is an E-Speak thing; you could use any other speech characteristic such as rate or volume, if you don't use E-Speak.

4. I turned highlighting on (NVDA+n, p, s, v, tab, space, enter). While doing so, NVDA's configuration dialogs were telling me that I was editing the testprof profile.

5. I switched back to the normal profile (NVDA+n, c, up arrow to top, enter). I could tell that worked because the voice changed back; and I saved configuration (NVDA+Ctrl+c).

6. I checked highlighting again and found that it had turned back off.

7. I switched back to testprof (NVDA+n, c, down arrow to testprof, enter), and confirmed I was in it by hearing the voice change.

8. I checked highlighting again and found that it was turned on again.

9. I restarted NVDA, and confirmed that in the normal profile the highlighting was off.

10. I switched to testprof and confirmed that highlighting was on.

11. I switched back to normal profile and confirmed that highlighting was off.

All of this seems to indicate that highlighting settings save in profiles as expected with latest NVDA.

Oh, lastly I went back in, and set to use only system focus highlighting, as you are trying to do, and confirmed that everything still worked as above. It does.

Luke

Gene

I just checked the settings.  They work just as other standard settings do.  I created a profile and set it to be triggered in a specific application.  While in the profile, I made the changes I want.  When I returned to the normal profile, visual highlight was off.  When I opened the application that the profile runs for, visual highlight is on.  If you still have trouble, sending a detailed description of what you do when you change settings in a profile, in other words, what you do starting from when you first create the profile, might help find the problem.

I'm not sure if it matters, it may depend on how you have NVDA set to save settings, but I saved the settings while I was in the profile, using the command I gave earlier.

Gene

On 4/16/2022 9:01 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

You might want to file a bug on their github about this as this sounds like a kind of bug to me. Do steps to reproduce, use cases, etc. basically follow the templet given.

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

[...]

I think Sarah is right
Apparently, these settings cannot be changed when moving between profiles.
I hope that NVDA developers we'll implement these options in the near future
Andluke, I'm using the most latest version of NVDA 2021.3.5

On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 12:43 PM, Eilana Benish wrote:
Apparently, these settings cannot be changed when moving between profiles.
-
But two people with extensive NVDA experience have directly reported that they can be, and cannot replicate the issue you are having, at least if I'm reading this topic correctly.

Both things cannot be true in a properly functioning Windows/NVDA ecosystem.  Differences like this tend to indicate either a problem with NVDA that can generally be remedied by uninstalling and reinstalling, or user error.  And that's not an insult, we've all made those.

One of the things that Sarah recommends is critically important now whether or not you end up filing a GitHub issue.  That's documenting, in step-by-step detail, exactly what it is you are doing.  My guess, and that's all it is, is that the fault lies somewhere in there, and that either Gene or Luke may very well instantly recognize the exact "where" when those steps have been lain out plainly.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Luke Davis

Eilana Benish wrote:

I think Sarah is right
Apparently, these settings cannot be changed when moving between profiles.
Eilana, both Gene and I have demonstrated that they can be. Me with manual profiles, and Gene with triggered profiles.
This is either user error, or something related to your system.

Please follow the steps I outlined where it worked perfectly for me, and report back your results.

Also, while I don't know of any add-on with the potential to interfere with this, try running with add-ons disabled just to check.

I hope that NVDA developers we'll implement these options in the near future
They are already implemented.

Andluke, I'm using the most latest version of NVDA 2021.3.5
No changes have been made to profiles or vision settings since 2020.4, so your copy should be able to do this.

If you wish, start NVDA with debug level logging enabled (on the quit/exit menu), and try to do what you have been trying to do. Then restart NVDA, and send me the file at %temp%\nvda-old.log, off list, and I'll take a look at what may be going on.

But please only do that after you have tried the things suggested above.

Luke

Dave Grossoehme

Luke is this with Win10 or Win11?

Dave

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 01:18 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:
Luke is this with Win10 or Win11?
-
Dave,

While I will never, ever say that this absolutely does not matter, it should not matter one whit.

The functionality in question is controlled, to my knowledge, entirely within NVDA itself.  Since the most recent versions of NVDA are compatible with both Windows 10 and 11, and, lets face it, Windows 11 is not much more than the next feature update to the most recent Windows 10 at this point in time, it's not likely at all that the Windows version will factor in.

Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Luke is this with Win10 or Win11?
10. Sorry I should have mentioned that.
If Eilana mentioned 11, I did not notice.

But still, I would like to know what happens if Eilana follows my exact steps, and I have yet to hear back on that request.

Luke

Gene

I am not Luke and I am using Windows 10 but it should make no difference.  NVDA should manage profiles in the same way in either Windows version.  this is internal NVDA management and shouldn't be affected by any supported Windows version.  NVDA supports Windows 10 and 11 and even continues to support Windows 7 for now.

Gene

Eilana Benish wrote:

[...]

Hi Luke
I tried the steps again as you suggested and it worked - thank you very much

‫בתאריך שבת, 16 באפר׳ 2022 ב-17:34 מאת ‪Luke Davis‬‏ <‪luke@...‬‏>:‬

--

ובכבוד רב,

אילנה בניש מורשה נגישות שירות 2200

ייעוץ, ליווי והערכת נגישות ושמישות אינטרנט וטכנולוגיות מידע

טלפון ישיר 📱 +972-50-7100367 | דוא"ל 📧 benish.ilana@...