confused about NVDA updates

Don H

I might be seeing things wrong but it looks like NVDA version 2022.3 and 2022.3beta5 were released on the same day. What am I missing here?
Thanks

No, NVDA 2022.2.3 and NVDA 2022.3beta5 were released on the same day.  NVDA 2022.2.3 & NVDA 2022.3 Beta 5 released

2022.2.3 is a second-dot level of 2022.2.  NVDA 2022.3 (whether beta or "real" when it hits the street) is a first dot level, and the next one after 2.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

~ Irving Babbitt

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

don, in short, if you're beta testing, download beta 5.but if you're using the stable version, use the stable version.but anyway, I think this question could be avoided with you checking for new updates , if you don't hear any compatibility break with your NVDA, which I know you don't have, it will always give you the latest version for you.

Em seg., 19 de set. de 2022 às 15:59, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> escreveu:

No, NVDA 2022.2.3 and NVDA 2022.3beta5 were released on the same day.  NVDA 2022.2.3 & NVDA 2022.3 Beta 5 released

2022.2.3 is a second-dot level of 2022.2.  NVDA 2022.3 (whether beta or "real" when it hits the street) is a first dot level, and the next one after 2.
--

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

~ Irving Babbitt

--
eduardo fermiano luccas
joinville, brazil
músico e editor de áldio iniciante

Quentin Christensen

It is a bit confusing - but basically because we had a point release to fix an issue which we wanted to get out for stable users before waiting for the final 2022.3, we put it out as a "point release" to 2022.2, and it was the third one (point releases beget point releases!) - so the name just happened to be very similar.  And in order to get people on the beta up to speed with that patch as well, we put out a new beta at the same time.

Sorry for the confusion! I know I carefully double checked each message to be sure I got the version numbers right - but if I did slip, then do let me know!

Quentin.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 8:56 AM Eduardo Fermiano Luccas <25102008luccas@...> wrote:
don, in short, if you're beta testing, download beta 5.but if you're using the stable version, use the stable version.but anyway, I think this question could be avoided with you checking for new updates , if you don't hear any compatibility break with your NVDA, which I know you don't have, it will always give you the latest version for you.

Em seg., 19 de set. de 2022 às 15:59, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> escreveu:

--

~ Irving Babbitt

--
eduardo fermiano luccas
joinville, brazil
músico e editor de áldio iniciante

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Brian's Mail list account

Erm yes, I now realise why so many companies give their new versions names instead of numbers!
Brian

--
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2022 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] confused about NVDA updates

No, NVDA 2022.2.3 and NVDA 2022.3beta5 were released on the same day. NVDA 2022.2.3 & NVDA 2022.3 Beta 5 released ( https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/nvda_2022_2_3_nvda_2022_3/93777057?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate/sticky,,,20,2,0,93777057,previd%3D1663604227320401536,nextid%3D1663201077358909876&previd=1663604227320401536&nextid=1663201077358909876 )

2022.2.3 is a second-dot level of 2022.2. NVDA 2022.3 (whether beta or "real" when it hits the street) is a first dot level, and the next one after 2.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

~ Irving Babbitt

Marc Grossman

When NVDA comes across 2022.2.3 it reads as "2022 February 3rd." Is there any settings in NVDA that controls how numbers are processed?
Thanks

Gene

What synthesizer are you using?  Microsoft Zira reads the version number correctly and E-speak does as well.

Gene

On 9/26/2022 2:07 PM, Marc Grossman wrote:

When NVDA comes across 2022.2.3 it reads as "2022 February 3rd." Is there any settings in NVDA that controls how numbers are processed?
Thanks

Marc Grossman

Microsoft One Core; Microsoft Mark

Gene

Here is a correction:
I somehow misunderstood what you were reporting yesterday.  The One Core voices do read the version as a date in February when reading the current version number.  But this has nothing to do with NVDA.  It is the way the Microsoft voices speak the numbers.  You would have to report the problem to whomever the appropriate department is in Microsoft. 

I checked with E-Speak and it reads the number properly.

Gene

On 9/26/2022 3:19 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

What synthesizer are you using?  Microsoft Zira reads the version number correctly and E-speak does as well.

Gene

On 9/26/2022 2:07 PM, Marc Grossman wrote:
Thanks

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 03:07 PM, Marc Grossman wrote:
When NVDA comes across 2022.2.3 it reads as "2022 February 3rd."
-
Not for me, and that's using Microsoft Mark or Microsoft David.

You need to take a look at your Windows Settings, Time & Language, Region Pane.  I'd be willing to bet that your Country or region is something like English (UK) and/or your Regional Format choice is something similar, even if the Country or region is set to English (United States).  The Microsoft OneCore voices use this setting to determine how they should pronounce something that could go any one of several ways depending on where you say you are and how something written a certain way is typically pronounced.  

If there's a "mismatch" between the Country or region choice and Regional Format choice, I believe the Regional Format choice is what will hold sway for the OneCore synth.

My settings for both of the above are English (United States) and I get number dot number dot number for things like 2022.2.3.
--

Brian Virginia, USA  Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

Gene

My country and region settings are correct.  The country is United States and the region is English United States.

Gene

On 9/27/2022 12:55 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 03:07 PM, Marc Grossman wrote:
When NVDA comes across 2022.2.3 it reads as "2022 February 3rd."
-
Not for me, and that's using Microsoft Mark or Microsoft David.

You need to take a look at your Windows Settings, Time & Language, Region Pane.  I'd be willing to bet that your Country or region is something like English (UK) and/or your Regional Format choice is something similar, even if the Country or region is set to English (United States).  The Microsoft OneCore voices use this setting to determine how they should pronounce something that could go any one of several ways depending on where you say you are and how something written a certain way is typically pronounced.  

If there's a "mismatch" between the Country or region choice and Regional Format choice, I believe the Regional Format choice is what will hold sway for the OneCore synth.

My settings for both of the above are English (United States) and I get number dot number dot number for things like 2022.2.3.
--

~ Austin O'Malley

On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 02:30 PM, Gene wrote:
My country and region settings are correct.  The country is United States and the region is English United States.
-
Well, then, what are you having read for 2022.2.3?  It's not clear at this point.  You stated that Microsoft Zira reads it correctly, and now it seems that you're saying that at least some OneCore voice is reading it as a date when you have your settings as noted.  Which one?

I certainly have not tried every OneCore voice I have available, but so far, all of them report this as a series of numbers with dot in between.
--

~ Austin O'Malley

Gene

I thought it did for some reason but I checked it again and it is reading as the original message reported.  The current version is spoken as February 3rd, 2022.

I didn't use the about dialog and I read the item as written in the original message which may not be as the about dialog displays it and that may have caused the confusion.

Gene
Gene

On 9/27/2022 1:33 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

-
Well, then, what are you having read for 2022.2.3?  It's not clear at this point.  You stated that Microsoft Zira reads it correctly, and now it seems that you're saying that at least some OneCore voice is reading it as a date when you have your settings as noted.  Which one?

I certainly have not tried every OneCore voice I have available, but so far, all of them report this as a series of numbers with dot in between.
--

~ Austin O'Malley

Tyler Spivey

If I write 2022.2.3, using OneCore Mark, mine reads as February 3rd, 2022.
What punctuation level are you using? Try using some, and you should get the same thing.

On 9/27/2022 11:33 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
My country and region settings are correct.  The country is United
States and the region is English United States.
-
--
Brian - Virginia, USA- Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044
         ~ Austin O'Malley

Gene

I have the numbers spoken as February 3rd 2022 with punctuation set to none.

Gene

On 9/27/2022 1:41 PM, Tyler Spivey via groups.io wrote:
If I write 2022.2.3, using OneCore Mark, mine reads as February 3rd, 2022.
What punctuation level are you using? Try using some, and you should get the same thing.

On 9/27/2022 11:33 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

My country and region settings are correct.  The country is United
    States and the region is English United States.

-

--

~ Austin O'Malley

All of the reading I'm doing for that string is on the Groups.io topic we're in right now.  So far I've tried three different OneCore voices and all of them read as a numeric-dot sequence.

I am not sure what is meant by "Punctuation Level" as a global statement and I'm guessing I'm missing something in the Symbol/Punctuation Pronunciation dialog.

I also looked at my Default dictionary, thinking I might have done an experiment that makes this read differently for me, but I see nothing that fits the string in question that should change how it's passed to the synth by NVDA.
--

~ Austin O'Malley

As a fascinating (to me, anyway) aside:  Even speech viewer is of no help in demonstrating what NVDA is saying, as the string shows up exactly as many have written it here, so that's clearly what's being passed to the Microsoft OneCore synth.  Nothing has been replaced such that the phrase "2022 dot 2 dot 3" is being passed.

Why it's reading as a numeric-dot sequence for me and not for others still remains a mystery to me.
--

~ Austin O'Malley

Gene

Here is a correction.  I just checked the original message and the numbers are written correctly.  I don't know what caused the confusion yesterday but I somehow tested incorrectly.

Gene

On 9/27/2022 1:40 PM, Gene wrote:

I thought it did for some reason but I checked it again and it is reading as the original message reported.  The current version is spoken as February 3rd, 2022.

I didn't use the about dialog and I read the item as written in the original message which may not be as the about dialog displays it and that may have caused the confusion.

Gene
Gene

On 9/27/2022 1:33 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
-

--

~ Austin O'Malley

Tyler Spivey

Your punctuation level is the combo box that says Punctuation/symbol level: in the voice settings dialog (NVDA+Ctrl+v).

On 9/27/2022 11:51 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
All of the reading I'm doing for that string is on the Groups.io topic we're in right now.  So far I've tried three different OneCore voices and all of them read as a numeric-dot sequence.
I am not sure what is meant by "Punctuation Level" as a global statement and I'm guessing I'm missing something in the Symbol/Punctuation Pronunciation dialog.
I also looked at my Default dictionary, thinking I might have done an experiment that makes this read differently for me, but I see nothing that fits the string in question that should change how it's passed to the synth by NVDA.
--
         ~ Austin O'Malley

I have tried both Punctuation Level most and some with Microsoft Mark and Hazel, and both read a numeric dot sequence.

Prior experiments with other OneCore voices had Punctuation Level most.

In no case have I been able to reproduce this NVDA release number as reading any other way than a numeric dot sequence.
--

~ Austin O'Malley