Topics

Confusion Over Chrome Based Edge Browser

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I downloaded betas of the Chrome based Edge Browser over the past few months.  I also see a reference on Desktop and in the start applications menu to Edge DEV or Edge Beta.  I brought this about myself because of being adventurous enough to try the new Edge.

How do I know which one is the Chrome Based Browser and which one is the older one?

Thanks for any help.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Sarah k Alawami

If you install stable, the old one will hide. You won't see its icon, but it will still be there as some apps still use the edge like interface.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 20 Jan 2020, at 11:37, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

I downloaded betas of the Chrome based Edge Browser over the past few months.  I also see a reference on Desktop and in the start applications menu to Edge DEV or Edge Beta.  I brought this about myself because of being adventurous enough to try the new Edge.

How do I know which one is the Chrome Based Browser and which one is the older one?

Thanks for any help.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Well there are 3 branches.

Aparently there is a way, however to make it more of a mess.

I downloaded chromium stable, aparently a few places have autobuild sites.

Bar a few api keys needed for features, chromium is the same as chrome without some of the google features, and edge with the microsoft features.

Apart the only reason a user wouldn't use chromium over chrome or edge is that there are no official binaries published and it doesn't seem to autoupdate itself.

However, chromium standard form can be used by anyone so its going to be an interesting year.

On 21/01/2020 8:37 am, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I downloaded betas of the Chrome based Edge Browser over the past few months.  I also see a reference on Desktop and in the start applications menu to Edge DEV or Edge Beta.  I brought this about myself because of being adventurous enough to try the new Edge.

How do I know which one is the Chrome Based Browser and which one is the older one?

Thanks for any help.

valiant8086

Hi.

My guess is that they both are the Chromeum based one, just different development channels of it.

If you have installed the released version yet, then you probably don't have any non Chromeum based edges left, heh.

On 1/20/2020 2:37 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I downloaded betas of the Chrome based Edge Browser over the past few months.  I also see a reference on Desktop and in the start applications menu to Edge DEV or Edge Beta.  I brought this about myself because of being adventurous enough to try the new Edge.

How do I know which one is the Chrome Based Browser and which one is the older one?

Thanks for any help.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Well, I have three Edges.  The Microsoft Edge itself no longer works.  The one called Microsoft Beta no longer works.  By this I mean that when I launch the shortcut, a blank page loads and there is no access to menus or anything else.

The one called Microsoft Edge DEV works.  Under the help/about properties dialogue, I get the following information:
Microsoft Edge Microsoft Edge is up to date.Version 81.0.389.2 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

I am running NVDA 2019.3 beta 2.  When trying this one out, it seems quite good.  I was able to fill out a simple form. I was able to play a radio station and I was able to navigate crowded and complex web pages fairly easily.  It even recognizes visited links--something that the original Edge release a few years ago did not exhibit either with JAWS or NVDA.  So it's a keeper and maybe even a default browser if I decide I want to make the switch.