Topics

control click with nvda?

mslion

Good day all,
How can I control mouse click with nvda? I this particular case I have
to control left click. How is this possible with hotkeys?

With kind regards,
Mitchel Snel

Might I ask several questions:

1.  What, precisely, are you actually attempting to do with CTRL+Click in this instance?

2.  Are you using a desktop?  If so, have you ever considered using a "hobbled mouse" that would allow you to use its buttons while eliminating the pointer movement?

3.  Are you using a laptop, where you likely have direct access to left click already, and could use CTRL+LeftClick without emulation?

       ~ Brian Vogel

mslion

hi Brian,
I need to select different items in the first column of a table in chrome. I indeed work on a laptop but when I try to use the leftclick on my touchpad the mouse tends to move by accident and I click on something else.

With kind regards,
Mitchel Snel

Mitchel,

           Then my advice to you will be the same thing I've been doing as a tutor for years now with my screen reader users who have a laptop:  Mask off the mouse touchpad part of the mousepad as a whole, leaving only the hard left click and right click buttons exposed.  You then have access to these when you need them, without need of emulation of any kind, and you do not have issues with mouse pointer movement.

            A piece of cardboard that's about the weight that is used on the back of small notepads, blister packs that you get all sorts of stuff in, or even cutting the corner off of an old greeting card such that you retain both layers gives you enough thickness to prevent mouse movement.

            I always suggest taping down the left side like it's the spine of a book while taping down the right side with a tab that allows it to be lifted easily in the event you have a sighted assistant for anything, as the vast majority will be incapable of doing anything without the ability to move the mouse pointer somehow for point and click.  You just flip it shut and tap that tape tab back down when they're done and you're good to go.

            If you happen to have a newer laptop where the edges of the mouse pointer touchpad are not well defined, you may need a sighted assistant to get the right size mask cut and affixed.  If it's one of the conventional laptops where the mousepad size can be clearly felt around the edges of the bezel in which it sits, it's generally something that's DIY whether you have any vision or not.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Dan Miner

It is always surprising how some of the little “low tech” solutions I rarely think of – been in computers too long.  *smile*

I have a Surface Pro with a type cover and I despise the touch pad it has built-in.  So, I trimmed down a 3 by 5 inch index card and tried the idea.  Sadly, the touch pad still responses quite well even thru that.  So, off to find something thicker.  It’s far too sensitive in my opinion and the smallest brushing of it will send the mouse pointer off into the weeds.

But, thank you for the idea.

                Dan

[...]

        A little bit thicker (even if you use layers) and you'll definitely get there.

        While I understand, entirely, why mouse pointer movement is to be avoided at all costs for a screen reader user, that doesn't mean that either a mouse or mousepad cannot be effectively used if the mouse movement can be prevented.  With a mousepad, that means covering the thumb trackpad area with something thick enough that it won't recognize touch.  With a regular mouse, virtually all of which are optical these days, a piece of tape over the opening where the laser is emitted to detect mouse movement on its resting surface does the trick.

          In both cases the mouse buttons remain available for use for their native purposes.  And given my experiences with mouse emulation over the years, and that's up through recently, I'll take the treated mousepad/mouse every single time.  It eliminates a ton of headaches.

       ~ Brian Vogel

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 04:41 PM, Dan Miner wrote:
It’s far too sensitive in my opinion
-
Not having a Surface at my disposal I can't answer this question, but is there not something that controls the sensitivity of the mousepad for touch/pressure?  There is on every other laptop I've ever used, and it's a good idea, if you can, to change all the sensitivity settings for heavy touch (which makes it less responsive to light touch).  And depending on the device driver and how the settings are structured, these are in different places for different makes/models, so I can't get any more specific than that.

       ~ Brian Vogel

mslion

Yes that helps a bit but the issue is that I have touchpad and if I
clikc it it always sees it also as an tab. Might it be possible to add
a hotkey similar to the left and right klick to press control click
either in nvda or with add-on? I do not know who to ask to get this
done and that is why I put it down here?

With kind regards,
Mitchel Snel

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 04:41 PM, Dan Miner wrote:

It’s far too sensitive in my opinion
-
Not having a Surface at my disposal I can't answer this question, but is
there not something that controls the sensitivity of the mousepad for
touch/pressure?  There is on every other laptop I've ever used, and it's a
good idea, if you can, to change all the sensitivity settings for heavy
touch (which makes it less responsive to light touch).  And depending on the
device driver and how the settings are structured, these are in different
places for different makes/models, so I can't get any more specific than
that.

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval
can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel