Topics

control+f - The General Purpose Find Command in Windows

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Supposedly this key command performs a find in page. unfortunately, it does not exist in the users guide. using the command without the nvda key does not do anything useful.
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!

Family times where there is fun for every ear!
http://stream.wrighthere.net:8000/stream.mp3

Or ask your A device to play Family times on tuneIn
You can also find us on your mobile device install OoTunes and search for Family times

Gene

It doesn't exist in the user's guide because it is not intended to be used with NVDA. It is the program command, not the browse mode find command. The browser command searches the underlying page, the page displayed by the browser on screen. The browse mode command is the command which the screen-reader uses, searching the page in the browse mode buffer, which the screen-reader uses.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2020 8:17 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] control+f

Supposedly this key command performs a find in page. unfortunately, it does not exist in the users guide. using the command without the nvda key does not do anything useful.
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!

Family times where there is fun for every ear!
http://stream.wrighthere.net:8000/stream.mp3

Or ask your A device to play Family times on tuneIn
You can also find us on your mobile device install OoTunes and search for Family times

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 09:27 AM, Gene wrote:
It doesn't exist in the user's guide because it is not intended to be used with NVDA.
-
It's not in the user's guide simply because it's not an NVDA command, period.  It is, as you've said, a given program's find/search command.  But I know of plenty of people who use CTRL+F with a screen reader depending on what it is that they're looking for.  If it's text (even click through link text) as opposed to a button, say, it can still be used effectively in certain contexts.

But I am definitely in agreement that the screen reader find is almost always preferable and will get you to certain things that a straight find will not.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white.

~ Kelley Boorn

John Sanfilippo

I have two wishes concerning NVDA control F: 1, That it change to just NVDA f, I never use that. 2, That they do away with having to press Enter when search not found. O, and #, that it makes a sound and wraps to the top again.

Gene

NVDA f is used for formating information and it is so long established that it should be left as it is. That is particularly so since JAWS uses the same command to announce formatting information, and that makes using the two screen-readers more similar and helps in a transition or if people use both.

Why don't you use the search command as it is? I would think you could change it to something else, since NVDA lets you change keystrokes for commands. But you may want to choose something other than what you initially specified since you would then have to change the announce formatting command and the letter f, standing for formatting, used with the NVDA key is a logical command.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 7:02 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] control+f

I have two wishes concerning NVDA control F: 1, That it change to just NVDA f, I never use that. 2, That they do away with having to press Enter when search not found. O, and #, that it makes a sound and wraps to the top again.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 08:10 AM, Gene wrote:
I would think you could change it to something else, since NVDA lets you change keystrokes for commands.
-
In addition to several Windows utilities.  No software running under Windows is going to change commands of very long standing and that are understood by an immense user base to suit a user or small group of users.

I, like you, encourage people to "get used to it" and use commands as is.  And that's not snarky or nasty, but from having seen, far too often, that people flounder when they customize command sequences and are thrown into a situation where they need to use a different computer.  They very often cannot remember what they've customized nor how they even did it as time passes by.  Being able to be plopped in front of a strange machine, but that's running the screen reader you're familiar with, and being able to just pick up and go is important.  Heck, it happens every time you get a new computer.

Note:  Topic title expanded for archival purposes

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white.

~ Kelley Boorn

Laurie Mehta

Agreed, and very well said. Thank you Gene for this contribution.
LM
“May the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way.”
(2 Thessalonians 3:16)

On Oct 20, 2020, at 08:10, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

NVDA f is used for formating information and it is so long established that it should be left as it is. That is particularly so since JAWS uses the same command to announce formatting information, and that makes using the two screen-readers more similar and helps in a transition or if people use both.

Why don't you use the search command as it is? I would think you could change it to something else, since NVDA lets you change keystrokes for commands. But you may want to choose something other than what you initially specified since you would then have to change the announce formatting command and the letter f, standing for formatting, used with the NVDA key is a logical command.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: John Sanfilippo
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 7:02 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] control+f

John Sanfilippo

Ok, leave the assigned key alone. But #2, bag the OK prompt, and #3 make a sound and wrap to top I think would greatly improve what we have.

John S

Hettie

Please do not take away this shortcut as it is important and essential when fonts descriptions is needed.

Hettie

On 2020/10/20 2:02 pm, John Sanfilippo wrote:

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com

Quentin Christensen

There is an issue similar to this.  For anyone interested in this idea for NVDA find, who can add extra detail, please feel encouraged to comment on the issue itself: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/4637

Quentin.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 10:41 PM John Sanfilippo <johnsanfilippo@...> wrote:
Ok, leave the assigned key alone. But #2, bag the OK prompt, and #3 make a sound and wrap to top I think would greatly improve what we have.

John S

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Don't worry, we're not removing NVDA+f, or NVDA+control+f from what they currently do any time soon.

Actually, we've just made what is probably the biggest change to one of those commands we are likely to make without heavy consideration and consultation.  In NVDA 2020.3 NVDA+f does work slightly differently - it now reads the font information at the caret or system focus rather than the review cursor.  You now have to use NVDA+shift+f for the review cursor formatting information.

Quentin.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 11:38 PM Hettie <woehler.hettie@...> wrote:

Please do not take away this shortcut as it is important and essential when fonts descriptions is needed.

Hettie

On 2020/10/20 2:02 pm, John Sanfilippo wrote:

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager