Topics

control+f - The General Purpose Find Command in Windows

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Supposedly this key command performs a find in page. unfortunately, it does not exist in the users guide. using the command without the nvda key does not do anything useful.
******
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!

Family times where there is fun for every ear!

Or ask your A device to play Family times on tuneIn
You can also find us on your mobile device install OoTunes and search for Family times

Gene

It doesn't exist in the user's guide because it is not intended to be used with NVDA. It is the program command, not the browse mode find command. The browser command searches the underlying page, the page displayed by the browser on screen. The browse mode command is the command which the screen-reader uses, searching the page in the browse mode buffer, which the screen-reader uses.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 09:27 AM, Gene wrote:
It doesn't exist in the user's guide because it is not intended to be used with NVDA.
-
It's not in the user's guide simply because it's not an NVDA command, period.  It is, as you've said, a given program's find/search command.  But I know of plenty of people who use CTRL+F with a screen reader depending on what it is that they're looking for.  If it's text (even click through link text) as opposed to a button, say, it can still be used effectively in certain contexts.

But I am definitely in agreement that the screen reader find is almost always preferable and will get you to certain things that a straight find will not.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

John Sanfilippo

I have two wishes concerning NVDA control F: 1, That it change to just NVDA f, I never use that. 2, That they do away with having to press Enter when search not found. O, and #, that it makes a sound and wraps to the top again.

Gene

NVDA f is used for formating information and it is so long established that it should be left as it is. That is particularly so since JAWS uses the same command to announce formatting information, and that makes using the two screen-readers more similar and helps in a transition or if people use both.

Why don't you use the search command as it is? I would think you could change it to something else, since NVDA lets you change keystrokes for commands. But you may want to choose something other than what you initially specified since you would then have to change the announce formatting command and the letter f, standing for formatting, used with the NVDA key is a logical command.