Control remote desktops like Horizon VMWare with NVDA

Saylor Cooper

Hello group,

I’m trying to get this straight and understand the best way I can control a horizon VMware remote desktop with NVDA. Quentin I know you mentioned the unicorn DVC plug-in which is over $300 of which I’ll purchase if I need it for this new job I’m starting. However I found an article that explains that I can also control it using the standard NVDA remote add-on here:
If I go this route, would NVDA also need to be installed on the horizon VMWare or just the ad-on. Anyone please clarify all this so I know exactly what to do.
Saylor Cooper

John Isige

I don't know what else you have to do, if anything, but yes, NVDA has to be installed on the VM too. You can't just install the addon because the addon installs into NVDA and needs it to run.

On 10/22/2021 9:16 PM, Saylor Cooper wrote:
Hello group,

I’m trying to get this straight and understand the best way I can control a horizon VMware remote desktop with NVDA. Quentin I know you mentioned the unicorn DVC plug-in which is over $300 of which I’ll purchase if I need it for this new job I’m starting. However I found an article that explains that I can also control it using the standard NVDA remote add-on here:
If I go this route, would NVDA also need to be installed on the horizon VMWare or just the ad-on. Anyone please clarify all this so I know exactly what to do.
Saylor Cooper

Saylor Cooper

So you are saying it’s not necessary for me to purchase the unicorn plug-in?

Saylor Cooper

On Oct 22, 2021, at 9:28 PM, John Isige <gwynn@...> wrote:

[...]

No. I'm saying that if you want to try controlling your remote VM with NVDA Remote, per that article, then you're going to have to install NVDA into your remote VM, and then NVDA Remote into that copy of NVDA, as well as the copy of NVDA on your local machine.

I have no idea if it works or not, I've never tried it. All I'm saying is that whatever machine you want to run NVDA Remote on has to have NVDA installed first, because NVDA Remote installs into NVDA. It is not a stand-alone program you can just run on its own. An understanding of how NVDA addons work already tells you that, but I'm pretty sure it's also mentioned in the NVDA Remote documentation.