Control Usage Assistant, Enhanced Touch Gestures, GoldWave, Resource Monitor, StationPlaylist: goodbye for now, version 22.01 released #addonrelease

Hello NVDA users,

Happy new year to the NVDA community! Even as we move to 2022, please don’t forget that we are still living through a once in a century pandemic. Please wear masks in public, wash hands, get vaccinated if you can and are able, and follow guidance from local public health officials.

It is with heavy heart that I announce the release of version 22.01 and the end of maintenance for the following add-ons for now (manual download):

For now these are manual updates; I will update this thread once Add-on Updater begins offering these updates to you. Also, a good news: Noelia Martinez, author and maintainer of Read Feeds, Place Markers and other add-ons you know and love, have agreed to maintain Control Usage Assistant.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

  • There may or may not be a NVDA 2022.1 compatibility update for add-ons that are not picked up by authors in the community – it is likely that I will release updates shortly after NVDA 2022.1 beta 1 is released (it is up to Noelia if she wants to release Control Usage Assistant compatibility update, and I expect she will).
  • It is likely that version 22.01 of these add-ons will be one of the last releases to support Windows 7 and 8 (Windows 8.1 is supported by Microsoft until January 2023).
  • Control Usage Assistant, Enhanced Touch Gestures, and GoldWave are purely my creations, whereas Resource Monitor and StationPlaylist had maintainers before I took over their maintenance.

In some ways, publishing and maintaining NVDA add-ons became one of the reasons for continued community contributions for me. More than founding NVDACon, producing audio tutorials, leading courses on add-on development, being a moderator of this very forum at one point, and contributing features to NVDA screen reader, writing add-ons became the best way I felt I can contribute my skill as a programmer and practice computer science beyond the classroom. Although I’m letting go of most add-ons to focus on graduate school (more so now that I am also a graduate teaching associate), I know that these add-ons will forever be a part of me. To users of Control Usage Assistant, Enhanced Touch Gestures, GoldWave, Resource Monitor, and StationPlaylist, use these add-ons to make a difference not only for yourselves, but also for others – not only the NVDA community, but folks outside of it, too.

I would like to take this time to thank everyone who have provided all kinds of feedback about these add-ons – bug reports, feature suggestions, pull requests, code advice, and countless others. I know that these add-ons are in the hands of the community who can improve them as time goes on. I hope these add-ons (specifically, source code) can become a handy reference for authors, both new and veterans. As I noted above, if no-one is maintaining these add-ons by the time NVDA 2022.1 beta 1 is released, I will release compatibility updates. But for now (to make it official):

I, Joseph Lee, hereby declare end of maintenance for the following add-ons as of 00:00 UTC on January 1, 2022: Control Usage Assistant (to be maintained by Noelia Martinez from now on), Enhanced Touch Gestures, GoldWave, Resource Monitor, StationPlaylist, with basic provisions in place to declare support for upcoming NVDA 2022.1 changes.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Rowen Cary

Hello,

Thank you Joseph for his excellent work, and I wish you all the best in your graduate life.

Cheers