Controlling Your Email Traffic from Groups.io - Plus using the Group Archive #adminnotice

Every time the group hits what appears to be "a heavy volume period" as far as messages go I invariably see several people unsubscribing from the group.  If that's what you want to do, that's fine, but it's also unnecessary if it's the volume of messages you find problematic.  Groups.io, unlike most other email list services, gives you exquisite control over the messages you receive from a group and the format you receive them in.  Here's the tutorial, in either MS-Word or PDF format, take your pick, for doing just that:
Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx)

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io  (PDF)

Because there are times you may want to find something you know was discussed in the past, I'm including these tutorials as well:
Searching a Groups.io Topics Page/Archive
Browsing a Groups.io Topics Page/Archive

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

Brian's Mail list account

I would not call this group high traffic, and after all if you sort to topics you can easily bypass things you are not interested in. This sort of thing is why I like to keep a machine running pop3.
I have every group in a different folder auto sorted by the header details.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1B941pSg2OCRKGukRg1d5w7nwu8wJLUaK ) (docx)

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1UVwnIVuM1KudnIRqyoDG4Mp3366gRlAF ) (PDF)

* ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1HczDVJcIHqun9Ne2e4RlYbzHZBDLy6CN ) *Browsing a Groups.io Topics Page/Archive* ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1M3O2CIUjsXJFvOl18zUkGDncrMZmo0Sg ) *
* ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1HczDVJcIHqun9Ne2e4RlYbzHZBDLy6CN ) --

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

~ Irving Babbitt

Steve Nutt

Brian, I don't understand why you can't organise messages into folders using IMAP. What's POP3 got to do with it?

All the best

Steve

[...]

* (
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1HczDVJcIHqun9Ne2e4RlYbzHZBDLy6CN ) *Browsing a Groups.io Topics Page/Archive* ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1M3O2CIUjsXJFvOl18zUkGDncrMZmo0Sg )
*
* (

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 09:27 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
I don't understand why you can't organise messages into folders using IMAP. What's POP3 got to do with it?
-
You can, and it doesn't.  [And I thank you for pointing that out.]

But I'm asking that we not get into email protocol discussions on this group.

The earlier offerings, even in their titles, said "from Groups.io."  This isn't just about the NVDA group, and lots of members are subscribed to multiple groups, some of which can be far higher-traffic than we are.  That being said, I know what I constantly observe when even one topic "goes long."  People don't seem to understand the options that Groups.io offers them in terms of minimizing the number of messages they get, and the conditions under which they will get them.  The idea of muting a topic seems to be alien to many, even though it's been discussed repeatedly.  Groups.io is the only email list/group service I know of that has these features, and they're really handy and good to know about.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

tim

I do that same thing only with imap. That way I get no problems from any box running TB they all show the same