Couple issues with newest NVDA version

JinYoun

Hi, I just noticed that when I choose restart after pressing NVDA + Q, NVDA seems to exit and then not start up again on its own. I have to press the shortcut keys to start NVDA again. I've tried this with all the add-ons disabled as well and tried restarting my pc. Also, I don't hear a sound for when NVDA exits like I used to. I have the options ticked in settings to play sounds for when it starts and exits.
Thank you for any help on this.

I tried searching for this in the forum, but could not find the answer, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before... 

JinYoun

OMG so crazy, after I posted this question on here and then tried it again, it worked! When I tried like 5 times before posting the message, it didnot work. 😖
Sorry everyone. 

Gene

If NVDA started by itself after NVDA key q, that’s because the program wasn’t shutting down properly.  It was crashing on exit and it was restarting because it is supposed to restart if it can after a crash. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 8:38 PM
Subject: [nvda] Couple issues with newest NVDA version

Hi, I just noticed that when I choose restart after pressing NVDA + Q, NVDA seems to exit and then not start up again on its own. I have to press the shortcut keys to start NVDA again. I've tried this with all the add-ons disabled as well and tried restarting my pc. Also, I don't hear a sound for when NVDA exits like I used to. I have the options ticked in settings to play sounds for when it starts and exits.

I tried searching for this in the forum, but could not find the answer, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before... 

Gene

It doesn’t matter if it crashes on exit, it won’t hurt anything but that is what’s happening. 

If you want to restart the program, trying to shut it down if it isn’t working properly, use the command to run the program, control alt n.  That tries to close the program if it isn’t working properly and perhaps has partly crashed, and it will then restart the program if it can.  But NVDA q is the unload command and isn’t supposed to restart the program.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 8:46 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Couple issues with newest NVDA version

OMG so crazy, after I posted this question on here and then tried it again, it worked! When I tried like 5 times before posting the message, it didnot work. 😖
Sorry everyone. 

Sarah k Alawami

Actually nvda q for me brings up the combo box, I then hit restart and it will.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 7:18 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

It doesn’t matter if it crashes on exit, it won’t hurt anything but that is what’s happening. 

If you want to restart the program, trying to shut it down if it isn’t working properly, use the command to run the program, control alt n.  That tries to close the program if it isn’t working properly and perhaps has partly crashed, and it will then restart the program if it can.  But NVDA q is the unload command and isn’t supposed to restart the program.

Gene

OMG so crazy, after I posted this question on here and then tried it again, it worked! When I tried like 5 times before posting the message, it didnot work. 😖
Sorry everyone. 

Gene

I didn’t mean to say you can’t restart in that way.  The original message gave the impression that the person is using insert q followed by enter.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 11:00 PM

Gene

Sorry everyone. 

Sarah k Alawami

I  actually understood  as they hit restart and it didn't. they could also try windows r, nvda and it should also restart.

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 9:09 PM

I didn’t mean to say you can’t restart in that way.  The original message gave the impression that the person is using insert q followed by enter.

Gene

Gene

Sorry everyone. 

Gene

No, its about restarting NVDA.  Restarting Windows wasn’t discussed.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 11:33 PM

I  actually understood  as they hit restart and it didn't. they could also try windows r, nvda and it should also restart.

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 9:09 PM

Gene

Gene

Sorry everyone. 

Roger Stewart

I just tried it with current nvda release and it restarted immediately after shutting down. Can't reproduce here.
Roger

On 9/30/2021 8:38 PM, JinYoun wrote:

Gene

I see I misunderstood the original message.  The original message discusses using restart after pressing NVDA key q.  So my original answers don’t apply.  I don’t know why restart is irratic on the machine in question.

Gene

Sent: Friday, October 01, 2021 9:30 AM

I just tried it with current nvda release and it restarted immediately after shutting down. Can't reproduce here.
Roger

On 9/30/2021 8:38 PM, JinYoun wrote: