crashes in the last few betas

Dan Beaver

I have the latest beta running under Windows 10.0.19043.1645.  I am experiencing numerous crashes.  Are these going to be fixed in the next stable release?  If not then I think I may go back to the previous past stable release because I only installed this beta to see if it would work better with a program I recently obtained.  It doesn't so it isn't needed.

No need to lecture me on the fact that I can go back anyway, I am just trying to find out if these are being fixed or not.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Edited

Hi Dan,

Can you give us the recipe or two to "cook these crashes" please a.k.a. exact steps to reproduce if possible?

P.S. Poetry is fun, but be considerate when dealing with app crashes.

Cheers,

Joseph

Luke Davis

Dan Beaver wrote:

I have the latest beta running under Windows 10.0.19043.1645.  I am experiencing numerous crashes.  Are these going to be fixed in the next stable release?
How could we know that Dan, since we don't know anything about what you, or your machine, or the programs you're running, are doing to cause them? It's possible I could have missed it, but I don't recall hearing you ask about this situation before, or post any details.

Unfortunately, your question is unanswerable at the level of detail you've so far provided.

To find out whether the crashes will stop, we will first need to figure out why they are happening.

Have you done any of the normal debugging steps, such as:
Starting NVDA with add-ons disabled?
Running the COM Registration Fixing Tool?
Uninstalling and re-installing NVDA?
Posting questions describing the circumstances of your crashes to NVDA mailing lists?
Running "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" at an elevated command prompt?
Running "sfc /scannow" at an elevated command prompt?
Posting a description of your crashes, what programs you were running at the time, along with a debug level log from NVDA, on NVDA's GitHub bug trackker at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/new/choose

Luke

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 06:44 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
How could we know that Dan, since we don't know anything about what you, or your machine, or the programs you're running, are doing to cause them? It's possible I could have missed it, but I don't recall hearing you ask about this situation before, or post any details.

Unfortunately, your question is unanswerable at the level of detail you've so far provided.
-
This needs to be repeated, as many times as necessary, until the readership as a whole has integrated it into every fiber of their beings.

And the idea that you, Mr. Beaver, do not need to be lectured, and learn, fast, is out and out ludicrous.  What you have done is say I'm having unspecified problems with unspecified programs and I want specific answers about their being fixed.  Clue:  Ain't EVER gonna happen.  I wrote the following months ago, and you give a textbook example of history repeating itself:
---------------

Saying to a potential assistant, "I got an error message, can you fix it," is akin to telling someone who can't see you and has no idea where you are on the surface of the earth, "I live on land, can you find me."

Specificity is necessary, not optional, when tech solutions are being sought.  That's the point I'm trying to make.

      ~ Brian Vogel, in topic, Can't uninstall NVDA 2021.2 from Windows 10 21h1, Jan. 13, 2022
------------

There is a process to error reporting, and as someone who has elected, and you have elected, to use beta software you had ought to take the time to learn what that process is.  The NVDA developers are not telepathic and cannot possibly fix anything based on these sorts of vague complaints.

Luke Davis and Joseph Lee have both pointed out just how lacking in specificity your complaints are, and it is up to you to provide the necessary details.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Dan Beaver

Hi Joseph,

I do not know how to specify the exact steps to reproduce these crashes.  At least I assume they are crashes, I frequently hear a sound that sounds like 2 piano notes played in a descending direction.

the only consistent time I hear them is when my system is booting.

These most often happen when I am booting my system.  They play several times as it is loading.  Then later I will hear them as programs are coming up but not always.  It is very hit and miss.

I started hearing these sounds most often when I was using notepad plus plus. They would happen at every key stroke.  I updated the plug in and those stopped but they still happen in other programs from time to time.

I remember seeing posts about crashes a while back and assumed I was just experiencing the same kind of crashes.

As far as the debug steps Luke Davis suggested go I do not recall ever hearing of some of them.  I am not a developer so am probably just ignorant of them.   Is there a place to find out how to learn how to use them and where to find them?

I do not know if any of this helps but this is what I can provide at the moment.

Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
On 5/9/2022 6:27 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Explain "recipe for cooking crashes"]

Hi Dan,

Can you give us the recipe or two to "cook these crashes" please a.k.a. exact steps to reproduce if possible?

P.S. Poetry is fun, but be considerate when dealing with app crashes.

Cheers,

Joseph

Edited

Hi Dan,

At least it tells me more than one thing...

The "piano notes" you hear are not an indication of a crash - they are played in alpha and beta builds to indicate a Python exception not been caught. In other words, it indicates an error while NVDA is running and is meant to inform people reading the NVDA logs that something odd has happened. This can come from either NVDA itself or with add-ons.

Based on what you are telling us, it looks like a log is needed to look at what's up. Please do:

  1. Press NVDA+F1 to open the NVDA log viewer.
  2. Select all, then copy the log text.
  3. Paste it as a private email to me.

I will inform the forum once I parse the log.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi all,

Based on the debug log Dan sent me, I notice several things working in concert here:

  1. The first error from the log has to do with a badly formatted add-on manifest, which happens to belong to what I think is an older version of Speech History add-on. Specifically, NVDA (via Python) cannot parse specific manifest fields, causing the add-on to fail to load.
  2. A number of COM (Component Object Model) errors are seen when performing actions in Thunderbird 91. COM errors do cause NVDA to play error tones but does not impact NVDA functionality. If you are using alpha or beta releases, hearing error tones is normal, but that does not mean NVDA has crashed (you will know NVDA has crashed when it suddenly restarts without you doing anything).

Overall: do not worry about error tones as it is meant to communicate info to be passed onto developers, or if developers (like myself) are hearing error tones, it's a message telling us to read the log to find out what happened.

IMPORTANT REMINDER: whenever I (or any developer) ask for a log, PLEASE SEND THEM PRIVATELY AS IT MAY CONTAIN SENSITIVE INFORMATION! When I offer diagnoses and conclusions, they are based on info from the debug logs I get and could be described as overall summaries (I will not go into add-on compatibility diagnosis unless: the add-on is indeed working and this add-on is responsible for causing the errors reported).

Cheers,

Joseph