Topics

creating filters in gmail

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, everyone,

How do you create filters in gmail? I want to be able to better organize my messages when they come in.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Hi

are you planning to do this in standard or basic HTML view? Asking as only know the steps in basic HTML view.

On 6 Mar 2016, at 19:20, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, everyone,

How do you create filters in gmail? I want to be able to better organize my messages when they come in.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rosemarie

Rosemarie,

         I could try describing this step-by-step, but a lot of people before me have already done so, and quite well.  Take a look at the results of this DuckDuckGo search on "creating filters in gmail".   One of the top 10 results will likely be in a format that you find easiest to use.

         It's not complicated once you've done a single filter and if you pay attention on the filter creation screen to the range of options you have as far as what can be looked at in a message itself to create a filter.  If you want to just give it a shot you will have to log in to Gmail, go to your Settings, and choose the "Filters and Blocked Addresses" link, then the "Create a new filter" link.  Once you have existing filters those will appear in a list at the top of the Filters and Blocked Addresses page.  Most of the filters I end up creating are on the "From:" field in an e-mail message.  You do not need a full e-mail address, just something that will match some subset of what comes in.  For instance, I have a filter that looks to see if "digestnoreply@groups.io" is in the From: field and assigns a label of "IO Digest" to those messages.  I can then click on that label when I'm in my inbox to limit display to strictly those messages.  If you're using an e-mail client with Gmail, a label propagates out as an IMAP folder by the same name as the label, and clicking on that folder gets you only the messages that filter into it.

Brian

David Moore

Hi Rosemarie,
I will send you a link to a tutorial a friend did for me where he goes over in detail how to set up filters in WLM to have different list emails go into different folders. He used JAWS to do the tutorial, but I have tested what he did with NVDA and it works just the same. What he says to do in this tutorial, NVDA will do the same thing as JAWS. Here you go! You will now learn how to create filters. Here is the link to the tutorial. It is a Drop Box link, but you do not need Drop Box; you can simply press enter on the link below and it will download right to your computer. Here is the link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/906tpubt9trxxbq/DemonstrationOnWindowsLiveMailForDavidMoore.mp3?dl=1