CTRL + ALT + N no longer working - How do I fix this?

anthony borg

Hello

I have been noticing that the hot key control+ alt+ n, is no longer working, can somebody explain to me what I should do to be able to use it again please?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

You can uninstall and reinstall NVDA, making sure to make the selection to enable it during the installation process.

You can also edit the NVDA desktop shortcut manually to add CTRL + ALT + N as the keyboard shortcut for same.  The Shortcut tab is what opens by default when you open the properties for a desktop shortcut.  The Shortcut Key edit box is where you'd set up CTRL + ALT + N.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Arlene

Hi, Why don’t you try this? First go to the desktop. Hit N for NVDA. Second, hit alt enter. Tab until you hear something like desktop short cut. If you hear none. Then you create itControl Alt N  I know it’s the same way you do with Jaws.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

You can uninstall and reinstall NVDA, making sure to make the selection to enable it during the installation process.

You can also edit the NVDA desktop shortcut manually to add CTRL + ALT + N as the keyboard shortcut for same.  The Shortcut tab is what opens by default when you open the properties for a desktop shortcut.  The Shortcut Key edit box is where you'd set up CTRL + ALT + N.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Quentin Christensen

There are a couple of reasons why this might happen.  Either your NVDA shortcut on the desktop has been deleted, or it's been edited so the control+alt+n shortcut key doesn't work (less likely accidentally).

So, first of all, can you get NVDA running?  If not, are you sure it's the shortcut that's not working, and not say, your speakers? (Just trying to cover all the bases here).

Assuming it's the shortcut, if you need to start NVDA, press the windows key, type NVDA, and press ENTER and that should just about always work.

1) With NVDA running, press WINDOWS+d to minimise everything and go to the desktop.
2) Press N to move to the first item on the desktop beginning with N.
3) If the first item isn't NVDA, keep pressing N until you get to NVDA.  If you get back to the first item without getting to NVDA, skip to the next instructions.

IF you didn't get to NVDA:
4) Press the windows key and type NVDA (don't press enter)
5) Press the applications key to open the context menu.
6) Activate "Open file location".  A File Explorer window opens with the focus on NVDA.
7) Press the applications key to open the context menu.
8) Press N until the focus is on "Send to".
9) Select "Desktop" and press ENTER.
10) Press WINDOWS+D to move to the desktop, and press N until you get to NVDA.

So, either way, now you should have an NVDA icon on the desktop and the focus should be on it.  Next, to add the shortcut back:

1) Press ALT+ENTER to open the properties for the shortcut.
2) Tab twice to "Shortcut key"
3) Press CONTROL+ALT+N.  This sequence should now appear in the shortcut key edit box.
4) Press ENTER to activate the OK button and close the properties dialog.
5) Press CONTROL+ALT+N.  NVDA should now start or restart.

Kind regards

Quentin.

3) If

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Since way back in the Windows 95 days, I used to use the keystroke Control + alt + N to run Notepad and now Notepad Plus Plus. for this reason, wen I install NVDA, I always choose not to create a shortcut and then afterward, I create one myself and give it a different hotkey. can't teach an old dog new tricks.

[...]

Signature: