CTRL + ALT + N not working for me

Gtt North Bay

Hi,

The shortcut keys to start NVDA are not working for me and I went into settings general but didn’t find a field to check the shortcut keys to start NVDA.

Running 2021.3RC on latest windows 10.

Thanks,

Brian B.

Yeti

Hello Brian,

didn’t find a field to check the shortcut keys to start NVDA.

This is a matter of the desktop shortcut.
Do you have one on your Desktop?

And if so:
When You open its settings by pressing

Alt+Enter

What is the content of the field for the shortcut in there?

If it is

CTRL+Alt+N

There may be a second desktop shortcut with this keyboard shortcut and this may cause this effect as well.

Ad Astra

Yeti

Chris Smart

Find the shortcut for NVDA on your desktop and go into its Properties with ALT+Enter.

You assign the shortcut key there.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gtt North Bay
Sent: December 4, 2021 11:13 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] ctrl=+alt+N not working for me

Hi,

The shortcut keys to start NVDA are not working for me and I went into settings general but didn’t find a field to check the shortcut keys to start NVDA.

Thanks,

Brian B.

Gene

There is no setting.  Short cuts and the shortcut commands such as control alt n are Windows functions.  NVDA creates a short cut and a short cut key when you install it but what it creates is a Windows shortcut and a Windows short cut key.

Go to the desktop and type n repeatedly.  Do you get to an NVDA shortcut?  Do you know how to check if there is a shortcut key assigned to the NVDA shortcut if you get to one? We will tell you how if you don’t know.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2021 10:13 AM

Hi,

Thanks,

Brian B.

Chris Smart

A couple people already have. Prepare for another ten similar posts (grin)

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: December 4, 2021 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] ctrl=+alt+N not working for me

There is no setting.  Short cuts and the shortcut commands such as control alt n are Windows functions.  NVDA creates a short cut and a short cut key when you install it but what it creates is a Windows shortcut and a Windows short cut key.

Go to the desktop and type n repeatedly.  Do you get to an NVDA shortcut?  Do you know how to check if there is a shortcut key assigned to the NVDA shortcut if you get to one? We will tell you how if you don’t know.

Gene

Hi,

Thanks,

Brian B.

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 11:34 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
A couple people already have. Prepare for another ten similar posts (grin)
-
Hence the reason for these list "rules" (really more strong suggestions, that are constantly ignored):

1.  Use threaded or conversation view in your e-mail client program or webmail and reading through the entirety of a topic before replying.  It gets you completely up to speed and avoids a lot of repetition.  If you choose not to use threaded/conversation view, please take the time to read through all messages from the group that are in your inbox prior to adding any reply to the group.  It’s the only way you can be sure you’re up to speed on any topic when not using threaded/conversation view.

2.  Reading through all new topics before replying, as topics have a tendency to get split upon occasion and often an answer ends up being in a separate topic.

-----
I really wish more heed were paid, as repeated answers that say exactly the same thing as the first answer are just clutter.

Asked and answered means just that, and not only on this group.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

~ Vance Packard

Gtt North Bay

Ok good to go, just in case this happens to someone else. This NVDA was a new install on new laptop and I went and checked the properties of the desktop icon and of course shortcut was none and changed it and good to go.

Sent: December 4, 2021 11:31 AM

Gene

Hi,

Thanks,

Brian B.

Sarah k Alawami

Actually the shortcut does not have to be on the desktop. I have shortcuts assigned from apps in the start menu.

Sent: Saturday, December 4, 2021 8:31 AM

Gene

Hi,

Thanks,

Brian B.

Gene

True but as far as I know, NVDA places the shortcut on the desktop so I discussed finding it there. 

Also, in response to another message, I said that people would be willing to show how to create a shortcut command and that was not repetitious of other content.  One message said to do so in properties but didn’t explain how.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2021 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] CTRL + ALT + N not working for me

Actually the shortcut does not have to be on the desktop. I have shortcuts assigned from apps in the start menu.

Gene

Hi,

Thanks,

Brian B.

Gene,

That prior comment wasn't aimed exclusively at you, but this one is.

The second message in this topic was:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/90396 

That covered anything anyone could need to know about dealing with a desktop shortcut with an unassigned keyboard shortcut.  All that have come afterward, save Sarah's observation that keyboard shortcuts can apply to Start Menu items, too, have added nothing of substance.

Asked, and answered, straight out of the shoot.  This is not a group where something like first letter nav on the desktop to find a desktop shortcut should generally ever be necessary, except if we're talking to a complete neophyte.  Not so here.
--

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

~ Vance Packard

Gene

I either didn’t get that message or it went to spam.  I haven’t checked my spam folder yet today.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2021 1:58 PM

Gene,

The second message in this topic was:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/90396 

That covered anything anyone could need to know about dealing with a desktop shortcut with an unassigned keyboard shortcut.  All that have come afterward, save Sarah's observation that keyboard shortcuts can apply to Start Menu items, too, have added nothing of substance.

Asked, and answered, straight out of the shoot.  This is not a group where something like first letter nav on the desktop to find a desktop shortcut should generally ever be necessary, except if we're talking to a complete neophyte.  Not so here.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

~ Vance Packard

Gene

I didn't remember seeing that message but I looked for it and I found it.  I wanted to correct what I said in my earlier message.  I now remember seeing it but since I wasn't sure why the original person was asking the question, I explained how to find the shortcut, if there is one. 

Gene

On 12/4/2021 2:03 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:
I either didn’t get that message or it went to spam.  I haven’t checked my spam folder yet today.

Gene
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2021 1:58 PM

Gene,

The second message in this topic was:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/90396 

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

~ Vance Packard

tim

Thanks for that one girl.

I wasn't to sure but it does work good. now I can clean off a few desktop items. Between that and the task bar. I just might dump the desktop for good, it just hogs resources.

On 12/4/2021 1:02 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Gene

Hi,

Thanks,

Brian B.

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah I actually for me have that turned off, so nvda for me is not on my desktop. Many people though for what ever reason leave desktop short cuts on and that will in time create a lot of clutter, unless   you take time to organize your desktop into folders for easier browsing. It took me 20 years of learning com putters to realise this, last year?

Sent: Saturday, December 4, 2021 10:45 AM

True but as far as I know, NVDA places the shortcut on the desktop so I discussed finding it there. 

Also, in response to another message, I said that people would be willing to show how to create a shortcut command and that was not repetitious of other content.  One message said to do so in properties but didn’t explain how.

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks,

Brian B.

Arlene

Oh, I didn’t know that. I’ve had desktop short cuts for years. I have only nine icons on it.  I have NVDA, an Arlene folder and so on. 

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: December 4, 2021 4:59 PM

Yeah I actually for me have that turned off, so nvda for me is not on my desktop. Many people though for what ever reason leave desktop short cuts on and that will in time create a lot of clutter, unless   you take time to organize your desktop into folders for easier browsing. It took me 20 years of learning com putters to realise this, last year?

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks,

Brian B.

Gene

But if you use first letter navigation, why does that matter?  I directly move to almost nothing on the desktop.  And actually, you can get to something even faster by typing more than just the first letter.  If I want to move to something like NVDA, if I type nv, I’ll move right there.  I don’t have to press n a number of times, depending on where I am on the desktop if I have many other items beginning with n and a different second letter. 

In addition, most of what I use desktop shortcuts for is with short cut keys so I don’t even have to move to them. 

I may not have shortcut commands for things I don’t use often.  I use Google Chrome but not often.  If I type go or gog I can move there immediately and press enter.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2021 6:59 PM

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks,

Brian B.

Gene

I should have said if I type go or goo.  I mistakenly left out the second o.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2021 7:32 PM

But if you use first letter navigation, why does that matter?  I directly move to almost nothing on the desktop.  And actually, you can get to something even faster by typing more than just the first letter.  If I want to move to something like NVDA, if I type nv, I’ll move right there.  I don’t have to press n a number of times, depending on where I am on the desktop if I have many other items beginning with n and a different second letter. 

In addition, most of what I use desktop shortcuts for is with short cut keys so I don’t even have to move to them. 

I may not have shortcut commands for things I don’t use often.  I use Google Chrome but not often.  If I type go or gog I can move there immediately and press enter.

Gene
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2021 6:59 PM

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks,

Brian B.

Let's not forget that in the current Windows era even having desktop icons is largely unnecessary.

Hitting the Windows Key and starting to type the name of the program or app you're looking for is almost certain to return it as the first item in the results.  It also seems to learn what you often search for over time.

Two or three characters is often more than enough.

I use desktop shortcuts far less than I once did because of how much this function has improved over time.
--

~ Vance Packard

Gene is also correct in that first letter nav really isn't limited to first letter.  I can type quickly enough to reliably use two, but rarely three.  How many you can use depends on how many you can type without stopping such that Windows thinks you're done.  And that pause between letters is brief before Windows thinks you're done.
--

~ Vance Packard

Gene

Also, typing more than one letter works in standard lists.  The desktop is technically a list but it isn't formatted like one but you can use this in Windows explorer and other standard lists.

Gene

On 12/4/2021 7:59 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Let's not forget that in the current Windows era even having desktop icons is largely unnecessary.

Hitting the Windows Key and starting to type the name of the program or app you're looking for is almost certain to return it as the first item in the results.  It also seems to learn what you often search for over time.

Two or three characters is often more than enough.

I use desktop shortcuts far less than I once did because of how much this function has improved over time.
--

~ Vance Packard